Author Topic: What studio acquisitions do you predict we could see this year and why?  (Read 5986 times)

dhaabi

Re: What studio acquisitions do you predict we could see this year and why?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 11:50:09 am »
Microsoft agrees to acquire Activision/Blizzard

What is most disheartening is to see what were once Sony's forward-facing mascots and brands have the chance to become fully exclusive to a competitor's platform.

As far as the potential for something like Call of Duty to become exclusive to Microsoft, this does present the opportunity for Sony to either create a new IP or to lean back on previous franchise successes such as Killzone and Resistance to take over the PlayStation market for the genre.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:23 pm »
I'd rather have seen Microsoft invest that money in new blood. Make some interesting NEW exclusive content, rather than procuring all the existing stuff out there. But that's risk, and this is the video games industry we're talking about.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 03:02:26 pm »
I'd rather have seen Microsoft invest that money in new blood. Make some interesting NEW exclusive content, rather than procuring all the existing stuff out there. But that's risk, and this is the video games industry we're talking about.
Grounded, As Dusk Falls, Avowed, Everwild, Contraband, Project: Mara and Compulsion Games next game are all new upcoming games from Xbox.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 03:54:11 pm »
From a purely game point of view, this won't change much for me, since I'm a PC gamer also, but this a pretty insane get for Microsoft with all the games they just acquired.  Something I'd like to see is maybe a slight restructure of their Call of Duty games, less of a yearly pump, take companies out of the Call of Duty mines, and put them back into other games like Tony Hawk and Crash Bandicoot. 

Something cool I saw from someone, is that they could get Toys For Bob to make Banjo-Kazooie stuff alongside Crash Bandicoot, which would be amazing to get remakes of the first two games and the chance of a new one lol

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 04:10:10 pm »
From a purely game point of view, this won't change much for me, since I'm a PC gamer also, but this a pretty insane get for Microsoft with all the games they just acquired.  Something I'd like to see is maybe a slight restructure of their Call of Duty games, less of a yearly pump, take companies out of the Call of Duty mines, and put them back into other games like Tony Hawk and Crash Bandicoot. 

Something cool I saw from someone, is that they could get Toys For Bob to make Banjo-Kazooie stuff alongside Crash Bandicoot, which would be amazing to get remakes of the first two games and the chance of a new one lol
Spyro 4 should be priority number one.

dhaabi

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 04:34:31 pm »

Personally, I wasn't pleased with Reignited Trilogy and much prefer the original titles. If a "Spyro 4" were to actually release on a Sony console, I'd still pick it up, but that would happen sometime later post-release after the price has gone down considerably. That is, unless Insomniac Games were to be the developers, but that seemingly has zero chance of ever happening now.

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 04:52:07 pm »

I never cared about Spyro myself, I always thought he was one of the lesser 3D platformer characters, though it would make sense to make a new game after the trilogy release, following the path they laid out with Crash Bandicoot.  That being said, if the choice was a BK/BT remake over a Spyro 4, it's no question I'd pick BK/BT in a heartbeat.

mastodon

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 07:43:11 pm »
Man, this is disappointing as a non-Xbox owner.. I love Call of Duty, Overwatch, Spyro, Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. I guess I may have to consider picking up an Xbox in the future if all these are gonna end up as exclusives..

The good thing is that I feel like Xbox may be interested in not having their studios only make Call of Duty and now with this acquisition it seems that may have actually been what they were doing.

Just make Spyro 4 already come on.

I think you won't need an Xbox to play their games. I think you can play them on your PC. Just like the new Halo Infinite.
I am excited to see what Microsoft does with WoW and Starcraft. Maybe something out the box (da puns) like WARCRAFT 4. Starcraft 2 is really old now. It's still the best RTS but, still I think War4 would make Microsoft serious cash.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:55:02 pm by ignition365 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 02:04:16 pm »

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 02:07:22 pm »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1488210878369460224
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-sony-buying-bungie-for-usd3-6-billion

gamesindustry article isn't loading, but Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion.

Will be interesting to see if this acquisition causes another Internet meltdown, when Sony's the one doing the buying. I somehow doubt it.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 02:52:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1488210878369460224
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-sony-buying-bungie-for-usd3-6-billion

gamesindustry article isn't loading, but Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion.

Will be interesting to see if this acquisition causes another Internet meltdown, when Sony's the one doing the buying. I somehow doubt it.
Honestly, I don't think one can compare MS buying Activision to Sony buying Bungie.  To my knowledge Bungie just has Destiny, I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's all that comes to my mind.  Also, ~$4 billion sounds like a lot for Bungie.

An interesting part of the deal is that Bungie is still considered an independent studio and would not be part of PlayStation Studios, this acquisition is largely geared towards supplemental media (TV, Movies, books, comics, etc).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:55:02 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 03:06:27 pm »
An odd buy, I don't have any real strong opinions about Bungie these days, I never really got into Destiny and this doesn't seem to be a deal that does much for Sony in terms of gaming, so I guess...okay? 

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 03:07:51 pm »
unless you really love a game to be on a certain console. A company being bought up could mean a bigger budget and improved overall quality.
Your Stylish Sword Master!