Author Topic: What are your favorite hidden gems in your collection?  (Read 4214 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What are your favorite hidden gems in your collection?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 01:57:22 pm »
Maybe he could stop being a tool, and actually know something about console games and game collecting before he brings people on explain it all for him?

Don't really get what's to like about the guy. He's a host on his own channel, he knows relatively little, gets paid by the channel to amass this huge room of stuff, enables reselling pirates to run scams, engages in e-begging, etc. He doesn't actually produce anything worthwhile to the average retro gamer. Other people make that content possible for him, he's just the face of it.

He brings other people in when he's not as knowledgeable about something, yeah. Makes sense to me instead of talking out of his ass. But it's hardly every video.

And again, how does he have any control at all about what others do with the games he talks about? How can he control others that buy the games and drive prices up? That's like blaming Marvel Studios because they made a movie and a comic gets hot because of it. What should they do? Just stop producing content because of the crazy market out there?

And what e-begging are you talking about?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:15:48 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 03:41:39 pm »
Maybe he could stop being a tool, and actually know something about console games and game collecting before he brings people on explain it all for him?

Don't really get what's to like about the guy. He's a host on his own channel, he knows relatively little, gets paid by the channel to amass this huge room of stuff, enables reselling pirates to run scams, engages in e-begging, etc. He doesn't actually produce anything worthwhile to the average retro gamer. Other people make that content possible for him, he's just the face of it.

I've known some people in person who are a fan of the metal jesus, They like his personality. Think he's a chill guy. I can't blame them nog a big fan of the metal jesus personally not my kinda content but I don't have anything against the guy.

Still while youtubers did increase the prices of games I really doubt it's intentional plus allot of people would legitimately not know about allot of the more niche games. it is what it is. The more the merrier they say. I don't see any benefit for any of these youtubers to increase the market prices. if anything these youtubers usually have to pay the marked up prices to pump out content as a result I don't see the gain.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:50:12 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 04:57:40 pm »

Asking viewers to help raise money, so that he and his friends can go on a vacation to collect and play video games. Asking for viewers monetary sympathy when his basement needed expensive repairs, stuff along those lines.

I've known some people in person who are a fan of the metal jesus, They like his personality. Think he's a chill guy. I can't blame them nog a big fan of the metal jesus personally not my kinda content but I don't have anything against the guy.

There's just far too many YT channels out there of people flexing their massive collections while being unable to bring any knowledge or substance to their content about said games. Just flashing their wares in front of a camera. It's purely about the collection. MJ is just the most popular of those doing that, he got lucky and his channel blew up.

I don't see any benefit for any of these youtubers to increase the market prices.

Well, I mean they must be feeling somewhat good about the fact that everything they pick up on the cheap is soon to become very valuable. A lot of them won't be in the for the long haul, just while it's a hot trend that makes them money on their channel. At some point they'll pawn it all off and make good bank off the wares that they helped to hype up.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 05:05:01 pm »

Asking viewers to help raise money, so that he and his friends can go on a vacation to collect and play video games. Asking for viewers monetary sympathy when his basement needed expensive repairs, stuff along those lines.

There's just far too many YT channels out there of people flexing their massive collections while being unable to bring any knowledge or substance to their content about said games. Just flashing their wares in front of a camera. It's purely about the collection. MJ is just the most popular of those doing that, he got lucky and his channel blew up.

I don't see any benefit for any of these youtubers to increase the market prices.

Well, I mean they must be feeling somewhat good about the fact that everything they pick up on the cheap is soon to become very valuable. A lot of them won't be in the for the long haul, just while it's a hot trend that makes them money on their channel. At some point they'll pawn it all off and make good bank off the wares that they helped to hype up.

Except he never once asked for money for his basement. People gave their money freely to help through Patreon, which many YouTubers have. Nice try.

Warmsignal

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 05:11:23 pm »

Except he never once asked for money for his basement. People gave their money freely to help through Patreon, which many YouTubers have. Nice try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXAQngTXg0U

Why exactly, would he feature a video about this? How is this anyone's concern that watches his channel?

OH NO, it's going to cost me thousands to fix my house guys! I know how much you all love to get updates on the status of my walls and mold levels. By the way, he's my Patreon account.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2022, 05:20:02 pm »

Why exactly, would he feature a video about this? How is this anyone's concern that watches his channel?

OH NO, it's going to cost me thousands to fix my house guys! I know how much you all love to get updates on the status of my walls and mold levels. By the way, he's my Patreon account.

How would it be any concern? Because it's the game room where he films his episodes and keeps all the games/systems featured in said episodes. And his Patreon is on all his YouTube videos, just like other YouTubers.

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2022, 05:26:01 pm »

How would it be any concern? Because it's the game room where he films his episodes and keeps all the games/systems featured in said episodes. And his Patreon is on all his YouTube videos, just like other YouTubers.

It's all his own responsibility. Do you guys also need to know when his camera equipment needs upgraded? What he's having for lunch? None of that, is on the viewer of any channel. I hate when YT personalities throw that back at their viewers. "You gotta do this for me, so I can continue to make this content for you." You don't owe them anything, and you don't need to know about the financial challenges they personally face, because then they're just playing on people's sympathy. Especially when they already have commercial partnerships paying them well to do it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2022, 05:28:46 pm »

It's all his own responsibility. Do you guys also need to know when his camera equipment needs upgraded? What he's having for lunch? None of that, is on the viewer of any channel. I hate when YT personalities throw that back at their viewers. "You gotta do this for me, so I can continue to make this content for you." You don't owe them anything, and you don't need to know about the financial challenges they personally face, because then they're just playing on people's sympathy. Especially when they already have commercial partnerships paying them well to do it.

But he didn't didn't do that at all. He never once asked for any money or assistance. He posted a video about his game room flooding and that it sucks on his channel about video games, so yeah it's absolutely related.

dhaabi

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2022, 05:52:42 pm »

I'm rather indifferent to YouTube personalities like Metal Jesus Rocks. That being said, I don't think it's fair to support allegations like this as there are two sides to everything. On that note, I don't think you watched the video, or else you'd already have the answers to some of your questions.

From the video at 11:29:

Now the reason I'm letting you guys know about this—well, really two reasons. The first one being that I shared some photos on social media, and a lot of people [who] saw that were concerned. [I'm] wanting to get a status update [to] you. A lot of you have game rooms yourselves so you're very interested in how this all works out. The cost, and maybe how it applies to your situation. So that's why I wanted to let you guys now. The other thing is two, is that, I have a lot of other videos in the can that we shot in November before all of this happened. And so, you know that this happened now, but in, like, a week, you'll see where my game room is suddenly fine, and that's the reason why is because there'll be videos coming where everything's back to normal, and you'll be like "what the heck?"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:04:50 pm by dhaabi »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2022, 12:10:50 am »
I like his videos and have no problem with him or his channel. I've been collecting for years even more than him probably. Because of his videos I was made more aware of some games I would of never even knew existed.
Even though I've been collecting for years there's no way I would of found out about some things on my own even though I research a lot myself. As far as donating to his channel no one forces you to. You can still learn from some of the knowledge he shares.

kashell

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2022, 09:17:06 am »
I watched one video from MJR that discussed Dreamcast hidden gems. He had an """expert""" on there that went through a list of games. One of them was Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage.

This guy said said that Cloud from FFVII made big swords popular, so Berserk kind of copied that trend. I had major eye rolls from that because Berserk premiered in the 1980s - long before Cloud was a thought.

Obvz, that was enough for me to nope right out of his video/channel. Not that I followed anyone on YT, anyway.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2022, 08:41:16 pm »
I watched one video from MJR that discussed Dreamcast hidden gems. He had an """expert""" on there that went through a list of games. One of them was Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage.

This guy said said that Cloud from FFVII made big swords popular, so Berserk kind of copied that trend. I had major eye rolls from that because Berserk premiered in the 1980s - long before Cloud was a thought.

Obvz, that was enough for me to nope right out of his video/channel. Not that I followed anyone on YT, anyway.
[/quote.

If I'm not mistaken FFVII came out a couple years before Berserk guts rage so it's possible.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:48:27 pm by wartoy »

sworddude

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2022, 06:05:25 am »
I think they meant in gaming. I don't think beserk popularized it in gaming I'll say that much it might have inspired FF VII's cloud to have that big sword but FF VII might have the power to make something big and thus popularize it.

Still beserk is quite a classic if your into anime/manga. That being said if your only coming in from the gaming side you could easily miss that detail and see this as a random game wich while from an anime doesn't seem that important. I don't think the guy meant what he said as in actual content moreso that it just sounded cool in his point of view.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:26:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2022, 09:18:06 pm »
The term "hidden gem" has always rubbed me the wrong way, even before Metal Jesus drove it into the ground.  [...]

Before the Internet got malwared by MJR, I used to know them as "sleeper hits". ...Or we can start calling them "hidden jewels" from now on just for the fuck of it. Sounds exotic.

I like MetalJesusRocks, been watching him for years. He's a guy that likes video games, beer, and metal music, definitely cool in my book.

Do you think Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold are cool, too? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm rather indifferent to YouTube personalities like Metal Jesus Rocks. That being said, I don't think it's fair to support allegations like this as there are two sides to everything. On that note, I don't think you watched the video, or else you'd already have the answers to some of your questions.

From the video at 11:29:

Now the reason I'm letting you guys know about this—well, really two reasons. The first one being that I shared some photos on social media, and a lot of people [who] saw that were concerned. [I'm] wanting to get a status update [to] you. A lot of you have game rooms yourselves so you're very interested in how this all works out. The cost, and maybe how it applies to your situation. So that's why I wanted to let you guys now. The other thing is two, is that, I have a lot of other videos in the can that we shot in November before all of this happened. And so, you know that this happened now, but in, like, a week, you'll see where my game room is suddenly fine, and that's the reason why is because there'll be videos coming where everything's back to normal, and you'll be like "what the heck?"

It's all about that pity party, my friend! You can ask people for things without actually asking people for things, and MJR is a pro at doing that—that's like his Jedi mind trick. Also, he worked at Sierra, and you better not dare forget it.

Anyway, basements should be the last place ever to store a video game collection, especially of that size, and especially in Seattle. Reminds me of how Radical Reggie once uploaded a video of how he left a popsicle on top or around a PS1 game and the thing melted and ruined the game, especially the manual, then blabbered in front of the camera trying to pass the video as a cautionary tale. While two completely different scenarios, that's the vibe I got from MJR's basement video, especially when I'm sure there had to be sings throughout the time he spent there that water was seeping through the walls. I keep my collection in my room, and I'm often checking the walls and all around my shelves to verify that everything is in order because I'm that OCD about my belongings, so I can imagine I'd be going over everything every hour like a maniac were my stuff in a basement. Sure, I felt for the guy, but it was all on him, so the video I think was unnecessary—that particular snippet you quoted could've easily been the start of any one of his videos.

Look, we're all a world apart and we like what we like, so to each their own; but I think there are much better people on the platform that easily beat MJR and most of his cronies without trying. For example, if you want a video game YouTuber that feels genuine and actually knows his shit, then check out Adam Koralik. In fact, I used to stumble across people with just a few hundred subs that had more personality and an apt grasp of what they were talking about than MJR. And to be clear, I bear no ill will toward the guy, as I actually at one point watched and liked his videos many years ago, but I quickly caught up to his shenanigans and stopped watching; I don't like confident tricksters.

[...] This guy said said that Cloud from FFVII made big swords popular, so Berserk kind of copied that trend. I had major eye rolls from that because Berserk premiered in the 1980s - long before Cloud was a thought.

That was John Hancock, and no, he didn't say that: he said "made popular", not copied, and there's a big difference between the two. Sure, Berserk came out in 1989, but outside of Japan, not many really knew about it; and even if you were to pick the anime, it was aired in October 1997, while FFVII was released in January 1997 in Japan and in September of the same year in the US. People in Japan who already were aware of Berserk surely saw the similarities between Guts and Cloud using big swords, but that wasn't exactly the same in the US, outside of the select few that knew about the manga.

I may not like the guy, but fair's fair. Now, had you had an issue with him saying Skies of Arcadia is a "hidden gem", then sure, I would've gotten behind that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:30:42 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!