Author Topic: You guys ever get stuck in like a gaming rut?  (Read 2059 times)

You guys ever get stuck in like a gaming rut?
« on: March 19, 2022, 08:47:04 pm »
I've gone what fees like 2 months without getting into a game.. Nothing I tried just seemed to click. It felt like I was forcing myself to play games that I'm "supposed" to like but I just end up being miserable the whole time. Today I said fuck it and threw in a game I know I love (Uncharted) and I'm having a blast! I'm done wasting time trying to make a game click for me, if I'm not enjoying I'm not wasting my time.

telekill

Re: You guys ever get stuck in like a gaming rut?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 10:49:31 pm »
I'm in the same rut. I fully believe that the best of gaming is behind us. The only games I have to look forward to are ports of retro games, spiritual successors to retro games,
or sequels to existing favorite series'.

Hopefully Sony has an Uncharted sequel in the cards... but right now, PS5 is looking to be the last system I buy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 11:51:38 pm »
Yeah. But then I just focus on one of my other hobbies like movies/T.V. or comic books. Or use the time on projects that need done. Then the itch to game again comes back inevitably.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 03:49:57 am »
Sure- there are definitely occasional periods during the year where I can't seem to get into any game.

Not having that problem right now though- Elden Ring is so good...

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 04:28:29 am »
I often do as I am indecisive about almost everything  ;D Despite having a 200-500+ amount of games I techincally haven't played, yet I still struggle - Which is ridiculous. I have recently tried to think more broadly, making a top 10 list of games I have yet to experience which I know I need to in my life. There are a lot of Classic JRPGs I have still yet to play so I am hoping to correct that this year! After my Game Pass trial runs out this month that is  :P

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 08:53:53 am »
Sure- there are definitely occasional periods during the year where I can't seem to get into any game.

This is practically verbatim what I almost posted last night.  I had a couple of droughts last year.  I'll literally sit in my office looking at the shelves and shelves of games and just think "I don't want to play any of this," but Elden Ring has sucked me in all the way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:01:59 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 11:18:56 am »
Yeah. But then I just focus on one of my other hobbies like movies/T.V. or comic books. Or use the time on projects that need done. Then the itch to game again comes back inevitably.

Same here. I have so many interests and while gaming is my primary one, I'm also huge into manga, anime, movies, cars, biking, movies, and music as well. I feel like when I start feeling a pull towards one of these other interests it's best to go with it instead of trying to force myself to continue playing games. Right now I'm actually heavily gravitating towards old Alien, Predator, and AvP comics from the 90s so I've started reading those again. That will probably last a few weeks, maybe a month, before I start getting into gaming again.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 11:33:18 am »
I fully believe that the best of gaming is behind us. The only games I have to look forward to are ports of retro games, spiritual successors to retro games,
or sequels to existing favorite series'.

This 100%.

I can see my exit from modern gaming completely in the next 5 years or so, and this is already evident by me getting the most excited for modern ports, remasters, remakes, and sometimes sequels of older game and game franchises. I'm so over all the always online, DLC/Microtransaction infested, overly political, half finished crap that is most modern games now. It's funny that the game I'm currently the most hyped for is a retro throwback (TMNT Shredder's Revenge) and nothing new that has been announced even compares. Given that 90% of the games I play now were releases at least 10-years ago I feel like I'm more than ready to say goodbye to modern gaming forever. Assuming I live to be old age, it makes me sad that half my life will be spent not playing most new game releases, but honestly I don't feel like I'm missing much with how so many of them suck now.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 04:07:37 pm »
but Elden Ring has sucked me in all the way.

Man, I tried Elden Ring... I couldnt get past the first enemy... not the first boss.... the first enemy lol. Then I tried Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin and I also did very bad.. I'm starting to think Souls-like games just arent for me. I really am digging Uncharted again and I'm planning on breaking out the Analogue Pocket tonight to play Kirby's Dream Land to get me in the mood for the new one coming out. So I'm starting to find my groove again, for me I think its about playing the right games.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 07:02:25 pm »
I do get into small ruts now and again, where I'll focus on one of my other hobbies instead, but for the most part, if I'm not gaming for a stretch, it's more because of real life getting in the way and when I get those small pockets of free time, I don't want to game because it's not a large enough chunk to be satisfactory.

Collecting-wise though, I'm definitely in a rut. With my main console being a Series S since I can't find a Series X, there's just little need to get physical games at the moment. So, my hobby money's definitely going elsewhere right now, primarily massively bulking up my manga collection (Should be past 500 books soon!).

kashell

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 09:45:20 pm »
It happens, but pretty rarely. I think it's because I have a backlog of games that I'm still really excited to play and most modern games don't look appealing.

I'm currently on the last chapter of Triangle Strategy and it's been a lot of fun overall.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 12:44:00 am »
I can see my exit from modern gaming completely in the next 5 years or so

Already happened for me a couple years ago. I completely got out of modern gaming because I was consistently feeling meh about every game I bought, even the most hyped up and well reviewed games. When I realized that I have way more fun playing $30 worth of N64 games than a single modern $60 game, the choice was easy.

The newest game I own is Mario Maker 2, a game I waited months for, got at launch, and then only played for 5 hours. Modern gaming just isn't for me anymore, but I haven't found myself in a gaming rut ever since moving to all retro.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 08:56:47 am »

This is practically verbatim what I almost posted last night.  I had a couple of droughts last year.  I'll literally sit in my office looking at the shelves and shelves of games and just think "I don't want to play any of this," but Elden Ring has sucked me in all the way.
Yas, Elden Ring!

Also, when I get like this, I wind up spending like a month reading books or watching shows.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 11:38:08 am »
Yeah, I usually tend to get in a gaming “rut” after I spend a long time on one game, like after finishing an RPG or something. I’ll aimlessly jump from one game to another, playing each for a bit until I end up focusing on something again. Or sometimes I’ll go back and retry a game I had abandoned.

Currently playing through the whole Mass Effect Legendary Edition which is obviously taking a while, but I’m not expecting a rut this time since I have many other things lined up; I took time out of Tales of Arise to play ME, and I took time out of the latest Blasphemous DLC to play Tales of Arise, plus I haven’t even tried all the games on my Coregrafx Mini yet. So no rut in sight for a while.

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 07:14:03 pm »
I've been in a rut for like two years. Ever since I bought my home, I thought having a really functional and awesome game room would be my number one priority, but here I am now with a very nice game/entertainment room and over the last few months I've barely touched most of it. I've played several titles and whatnot but gaming doesn't offer the same escapism as it did when I lived at home with my parents. I find much more enjoyment out of doing little home improvement projects, cooking, and doing yard work, strange as it sounds. 
I'm honestly really happy about this as I would probably go broke buying and collecting like I used to given the prices of most games these days, I've really just tried to enjoy what I have and sold off some of the stuff I don't care about.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."