Author Topic: Owning the same title for multiple consoles  (Read 1715 times)

brothertuc

Owning the same title for multiple consoles
« on: April 02, 2022, 04:23:28 pm »
I was just wondering how many of us do exactly that?
Do you own the same title for multiple platforms? Like, if a game for the PS2 has a re-release for PS4, do you own both versions and so on.
Do you own the same title for PS2, Gamecube and X-box, or something similar?
Or is it just a waste of money?

Re: Owning the same title for multiple consoles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 05:35:39 pm »
If it's a game or series I'm really into, I enjoy playing ports if I've already played one version of it over and over. Usually there's something exclusive to each version of a game, even if the overall game is almost exactly the same. It's those small, even minuscule differences that I enjoy coming across. 

Here's just one example:

I own Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for PS2, GameCube, Xbox, GBA, and N64. I had the PS2 version when it originally came out, I consider that one to be the definitive version of the game, but I've also played it to death and haven't revisited it on the PS2 in a very long time. So when I have the itch to play THPS3, I've gone after other ports just to get a different experience, even if that experience is only a slight hair different most of the time.

The Xbox version of the game does have a few noteworthy differences. The gameplay runs smoother overall and stays at 60 FPS better than other versions of the game, it has 5.1 Dolby Digital support, and best of all, an exclusive oil rig level not found in any other version of the game.

The N64 version, which is a port of the PS1 version which is pretty much a watered down version of the PS2 game, is different enough in many of the levels that I found it fun to see how the developers tried to scale the game down to be playable for the old systems. The N64 THPS3 is also historically significant as the final N64 game officially released in North America, yet another excuse to convince myself that I'm not a sucker for paying full price for the same game I already had on three other platforms.

alligo

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:50:01 pm »
if I have several copies, it is because I appreciate the game.

L4D2 : 360 and PC
Mafia II : 360 and PC
GTA SA : PS2, 360 and PC
GTA IV : 360 and PC
GTA V : 360, one and PC
Mario 64 : N64 and DS
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 08:11:06 pm »
Remasters and remakes, sure if I liked the original. Straight ports? Not unless I really want the handheld version.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 09:06:01 pm »
i dont specifically go looking for things, but if i happen to find something like at a good will and i have it on another console i dont mind picking it up. With that said, for a while i was mostly collecting PS3 but when the introduced backwards compatibility in the Xbox one and no Series X I have been buying a bunch of PS3 tiles again on 360.. cant beat playing some of these older games with the xbox enhancements offered now.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 12:06:37 am »
I've got quite a few games where I own copies on multiple platforms. Typically the main reasons are:

1) I found a good deal
2) To play with friends online
3) Achievement/Trophy stacking
4) I wanted it for that console originally, but there was a delayed release
5) I forgot I owned that game

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 02:01:24 am »
I have 41 dupes myself unfortunately... like owning Ninja Gaiden Sigma and the Collector's Edition, NGS2 and 3 on PS3, and then getting the master collection on steam. I also own DMC HD Collection, the 3 pack on ps2 and dmc1 on Switch. The list goes on, I just don't have the heart to throw my gamestop NGS1/2 copies away.

That being said, there's also owning dupes because you like said game. I have some japanese versions of some games, so while still technically "dupes", some offer extra content like 4 Swords on GameCube.

Then there's owning dupes because two different game services offered them free for a limited time ;D
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 05:33:21 am »
On the oldschool especially 2d platforms the games are usually quite different. say genesis vs snes version.

if where talking beyond that. say marvel vs capcom 2.

I just like the game. But I would not go out of my way to get all versions, just happened to be dirt cheap in a great deal in which I own a ps2 xbox and dreamcast version as one example. Dreamcast is the preferred version in that one since it's like the arcade compared to the other 2.

At full price it's usually a waste of money, Almost the same games after all just get them for your preferred console.

extra content is a thing with more modern releases, but probably only worth when your quite a fan of the series/game. and if you never had the game yet just buy a deluxe etc version with all the dlc included and skip the base ones.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 06:28:06 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

brothertuc

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 10:39:19 am »
I've got quite a few games where I own copies on multiple platforms. Typically the main reasons are:

That's when you know you have a lot of games  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 11:16:25 am »
I often buy the same game across consoles of the same gen, just because. I do like to get achievements and trophies. Remakes, you bet. PC versions too...sure. I have no problem having multiple versions of games on other consoles.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 11:17:38 am »

That's when you know you have a lot of games  ;D

I have this site saved on my phone so that when I go into a used shop I can see what I already have...so many times that's saved me from buying something I don't need haha

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 01:31:47 pm »
Quite a few games, I always think of Final Fantasy X:

PS2,PS3, PS4, PSVita, Xbox One.... Just need the Switch version - Which I would own if the UK/USA version didn't leave off X-2 like the Chiina Version which has both games on Cart.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 01:35:14 pm »
I have this site saved on my phone so that when I go into a used shop I can see what I already have...so many times that's saved me from buying something I don't need haha

I've got the app and do that too. Most of my mistakes have been from Amazon, where the big "Last Purchased" header didn't appear because the listing was ever so slightly different from when I originally bought it. And then I got the game cheap enough that it wasn't worth the effort to return.

Though that does remind me of another reason for having multiples:
6) I got sent the wrong version

I've had a few times where I get the game I ordered, but for the wrong system. In every case though, the game's been dirt cheap enough that rather than be mad, I'm more like, "Welp, I've now got the PS4 version of this instead".

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 02:46:15 pm »
Do you own the same title for multiple platforms? Like, if a game for the PS2 has a re-release for PS4, do you own both versions and so on.
Do you own the same title for PS2, Gamecube and X-box, or something similar?
Or is it just a waste of money?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Anyway, I'll just quote myself from past topics similar to this:

[...]

I personally have a few duplicates, but not because I looked for them. For instance I have a copy of the PC version of Final Fantasy VII, which I got in a lot. I was going to sell it, but it makes for good shelf candy. Same with Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2; I bought a copy on eBay that turned out to be a dud, which I ended up keeping after the seller seemingly disappeared from the face of the Earth. I also own a Greatest Hits copy of Mega Man Legends and Metal Gear Solid of which I also own the original black label versions, but keep the other two because of the sentimental value they have. Any other duplicates I have I keep with the intent of selling.

I was going through my PS2 games, and just realized Astérix & Obélix: Kick Buttix is the NA version of Astérix & Obélix XXL. So, great, I have a dupe. I originally got it off of eBay after a delivery mishap where the seller told me to choose a game of equal value and that essentially was the only one that caught my eye. Regardless, I tend to research every game I purchase, so I can't believe I overlooked this.

Oh well, spilled milk.

While organizing my PS2 games, I realized I have a few more duplicates: a second copy of Legacy of Kain: Defiance, which has a blemish on the face of the disc (it's small, but I’m unsure if it affects the game in some way – I would have to play it fully to know); a sealed copy of Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and a sealed black label copy of Shadow of the Colossus that I got in two different lots years ago; and a sealed copy of God Hand, as well as a sealed copy of Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, the first print of Front Mission, and Mega Man ZX both sealed for the GBA and NDS respectively that Amazon sent me by mistake. The latter was back in 2008-09 when I used to buy a lot from Amazon, and they in turn screwed a bunch of my orders (more on that on another topic). Good times.

Well, Pokémon games with their corresponding remakes would be a safe answer. Other than that, I happen to own a copy of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Rango, and TMNT for three different consoles since they play differently. I'd also say Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Shadow of the Colossus: for the former I own the original GBA game and two copies of the PS2 remake, and for the latter I own two copies of the PS2 version, black label and greatest hits, and the PS3 HD version.

I guess Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection would apply here, too.

...And add to that about three dozen more, most for PS4.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telekill

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 08:56:46 am »
I used to do that IF there was a noticeable difference. The last time I did it was Resident Evil 4. I bought it at launch on Gamecube and then a year or two later I bought the PS2 Limited Edition that had the Ada missions. I also got the digital PS3 edition when I bought RE6's limited edition. Then with PS4, I started consolidating all my favorite titles onto the one system so that I could sell off the older versions and save physical space in the home. So regardless of all the versions of Resident Evil 4 I've had... I now only have the PS4 version.