Author Topic: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and Cowabunga Collection  (Read 5172 times)

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and Cowabunga Collection
« on: April 22, 2022, 05:01:39 pm »
Figured I'd make a catch-all thread for this since it seems a bunch of us are excited for it, but we're discussing it like 5 different places.

Newest news:

A Collector's Edition of Cowabunga Collection is now up for pre-order and it will include:

• Physical copy of the game with original box design by Kevin Eastman
• Cloth poster featuring Kevin Eastman’s adaptation of TMNT: Turtles in Time (16” by 24”)
• Multi-layer acrylic diorama of Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo (4.5” by 5”)
• Enamel pin set of five classic designs – The Technodrome, Turtle Blimp, Party Wagon, Shredder and Krang
• Set of 12 translucent comic style character trading cards based on TMNT: Tournament Fighters with rarely seen appearances from Wingnut, Armaggon, Chrome Dome, War, Aska, Karai and more (3” by 5”)
• Full color artbook with 180 pages featuring a chapter dedicated to each of the 13 games in the compilation (5.5” by 8”)

For Shredder's Revenge

The original voice cast for the turtles will be returning to voice the game.

And release date of... SUMMER
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:47:33 pm by Cartagia »

Re: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and Cowabunga Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 09:14:32 pm »
I'm definitely hyped for both games! Both are also Day 1 buys for me.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 12:15:37 am »
Crazy that there still isn't a release date for Shredder's Revenge, but Summer is narrowing it down at least lol

telekill

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 10:25:41 am »
I'm buying both, but man... that Cowabunga Collector's Edition looks fantastic. I just can't justify $150 for it as I'm planning to buy the game on both Switch and PS5. I'd love it, but $150 is too steep... especially as I just had to replace my TV and the car needs a ton of work done. *sigh.... adulting sucks.

Purchase plan:
Cowabunga Collection (PS5)
Cowabunga Collection (Switch)
Shredder's Revenge (PS5)

Assuming that Shredder's Revenge is $40, that's $120 for three purchases. After taxes, that's still cheaper than the CE of the Cowabunga collection. Hmm... maybe if I only buy Cowabunga collection on PS5... then I could convince myself?  :-\

See... now I'm questioning everything.  :o
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 10:41:46 am by telekill »

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 05:33:37 pm »
The collector's edition looks rather nice, but there's no soundtrack included, and it goes for $150. Thanks, but no thanks. For comparison, the Resident Evil 2 Collector's Edition cost $200 and included a 12" statue with minimal fluff. I don't think a poster, diorama, artbook, some pins and tradings cards should amount to $150, and quite frankly think they missed the perfect opportunity of including quite possibly one of the best aspects of the TMNT games: their music. And mind you, I'm not saying they had to include an expensive item, and I understand given the type of release a book showcasing the history of the games was a must, but it needed something else with a bit more weight than a diorama, some enamel pins and trading cards as incentives, especially for those like me that are fans of the series, but could care less about collector's editions. Just my spare change.

Anyway...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telekill

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 06:52:28 pm »
The collector's edition looks rather nice, but there's no soundtrack included, and it goes for $150. Thanks, but no thanks. For comparison, the Resident Evil 2 Collector's Edition cost $200 and included a 12" statue with minimal fluff. I don't think a poster, diorama, artbook, some pins and tradings cards should amount to $150, and quite frankly think they missed the perfect opportunity of including quite possibly one of the best aspects of the TMNT games: their music. And mind you, I'm not saying they had to include an expensive item, and I understand given the type of release a book showcasing the history of the games was a must, but it needed something else with a bit more weight than a diorama, some enamel pins and trading cards as incentives, especially for those like me that are fans of the series, but could care less about collector's editions. Just my spare change.

A legit soundtrack would be phenomenal. Definitely agree that it's a missed opportunity.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 07:24:18 pm »
The collector's edition is so over-priced for sure.  I'd consider it a pricey buy even if it was a 100 bucks for what it offers, especially for a 40 dollar game.

telekill

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 09:54:52 am »
Yeah, I've talked myself out of it. Not getting the Limited Edition. The items included are great for a huge fan like myself, but not $150 worth of great. As mentioned earlier... it does lack some key items such as a legitimate soundtrack be it CD or download. I have the soundtracks downloaded already, but was hoping for a legitimate one. The behind the scenes book is probably the only other thing I would really have enjoyed. Eh... I also really like Eastman's version of the cover as well. The rest is just filler that would sit in the box or on a shelf barely looked at.

Collector's Editions anymore are just cash grabs. I guess they've always been but they've gotten increasingly more pricey for less. The last collector's edition I bought was Uncharted 4's Libertalia CE at launch. It was $120 and came with a large statue of Drake, small art book and a few other things. It was worth the cost for fans. The next I had considered was RE2 Remake's CE. I think it was a ridiculous $200+ for essentially the same stuff that Uncharted 4's came with.

I'm not saying that the TMNT CE needs figures... I have the incredible 1990 movie NECA figures... but something more could have been added... or the price far less. I would happily have bought the limited edition if it was $80 instead.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:10:36 am by telekill »

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 04:52:21 pm »
Then I'm going to say it: Personally, for $150, I would've expected some type of deal with NECA to include a figure, an actual limited one unique to this release that I'm sure would've been the deciding factor for many when mulling whether getting the CE or not. But then again, it's Konami and we've learned not to expect much from them over the years. Other than that, I'm sticking to my guns reiterating this needed a soundtrack—physical copy, not a download; I can rip the music myself from the games, and have done it before. As much as the book is covering the history of the games, so would the soundtrack covering over 330+ minutes of shell-shocking audio, which translates to around five CDs. If the CE had included the soundtrack—by that I mean lossless audio and not a transcode—coupled with the contents currently advertised, then I would've happily forked over $100.

In all honesty, given this is a compilation-type game, I wasn't expecting it to get a limited-type release, so the fact that it's going to is incredible. But they're obviously crazy if they genuinely believe their idea of a "limited edition" is a box filled with cheap items thinking they're worth the $150 price tag.

Regarding the Uncharted 4 vs. Resident Evil 2 collector's editions, I think inflation, greed included, were possibly the culprit, but the crux of the matter is that their contents were, and still are well worth more than what the Cowabunga Collection CE is offering; and in the case of the two aforementioned collector's sets, the quality of the statues is actually good. So, even if we were to use inflation as an excuse for this collector's edition, what they're asking is still too much for what they're offering.

That said, this collector's set truly exemplifies the usual believe that these type of releases are just cheap, lazy cash grabs, which is honestly why I've never really cared for them, albeit I reckon there are exceptions to that rule. My advise would be to just give it a few months after release and maybe you'll be able to get this one off eBay for a cheaper price, possibly even find someone selling the book.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 07:47:00 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 12:12:11 pm »
Then I'm going to say it: Personally, for $150, I would've expected some type of deal with NECA to include a figure, an actual limited one unique to this release that I'm sure would've been the deciding factor for many when mulling whether getting the CE or not. But then again, it's Konami and we've learned not to expect much from them over the years. Other than that, I'm sticking to my guns reiterating this needed a soundtrack—physical copy, not a download; I can rip the music myself from the games, and have done it before. As much as the book is covering the history of the games, so would the soundtrack covering over 330+ minutes of shell-shocking audio, which translates to around five CDs. If the CE had included the soundtrack—by that I mean lossless audio and not a transcode—coupled with the contents currently advertised, then I would've happily forked over $100.

In all honesty, given this is a compilation-type game, I wasn't expecting it to get a limited-type release, so the fact that it's going to is incredible. But they're obviously crazy if they genuinely believe their idea of a "limited edition" is a box filled with cheap items thinking they're worth the $150 price tag.

Regarding the Uncharted 4 vs. Resident Evil 2 collector's editions, I think inflation, greed included, were possibly the culprit, but the crux of the matter is that their contents were, and still are well worth more than what the Cowabunga Collection CE is offering; and in the case of the two aforementioned collector's sets, the quality of the statues is actually good. So, even if we were to use inflation as an excuse for this collector's edition, what they're asking is still too much for what they're offering.

That said, this collector's set truly exemplifies the usual believe that these type of releases are just cheap, lazy cash grabs, which is honestly why I've never really cared for them, albeit I reckon there are exceptions to that rule. My advise would be to just give it a few months after release and maybe you'll be able to get this one off eBay for a cheaper price, possibly even find someone selling the book.

I agree 1000% regarding the soundtracks.
Not kidding, the first TMNT arcade game has one of my absolute favorite soundtracks ever. When I played it I would clear the screen of enemies and just listen for a bit, especially the kick-ass Technodrome level.
SNES TMNT IV’s soundtrack is iconic. Even Fall of the Foot Clan on GB had great music (by the legendary Michiru Yamane, too). Definitely a missed opportunity. These soundtracks deserve to be heard.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 03:00:04 pm »
Limited Run's first Xbox release is Shredder's Revenge with a collector's edition reveal June 6th during their show. Standard edition isn't limited and will be available on Amazon and presumably other places.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 03:27:07 pm »
Great to hear it's getting a regular retailer release, I'll definitely be grabbing one.

telekill

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 08:29:38 am »
Any link to Amazon getting it as well? I'm only finding the Limited Run notification. Which... great. I'm glad I'll have a physical option. I guess this would also confirm that PS5 isn't getting a version of it either which I guess we don't really have to worry about graphics comparisons on this one so.... lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 12:30:03 pm »
Any link to Amazon getting it as well? I'm only finding the Limited Run notification. Which... great. I'm glad I'll have a physical option. I guess this would also confirm that PS5 isn't getting a version of it either which I guess we don't really have to worry about graphics comparisons on this one so.... lol

Yeah, I have it pre-ordered for Xbox. No real release date on it, though, just an end-of-year placeholder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09W3PV47F?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 08:51:46 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 01:14:52 pm »
That's the Cowabunga Collection, not Shredder's Revenge.  I'm not seeing any listing of the latter.