Author Topic: How important is to have different editions of the same game in your collection?  (Read 1189 times)

Base, special, game of the year, day one, complete, launch, definitive...

I don't know if this was a constant thing in the early generations, but it is a reality nowadays.

I've been looking at my PS4 collection and I've noticed that I always try to buy the base edition of the game. The game that I have a different version, I always try to buy the base, but never the other way around, when I have the base edition I never try to buy a different one.

How do you see it?
Want to have all editions?
Are you happy with only the base?
Always look for the complete edition first?
Or none of that matters, is any edition enough?
How do you prioritize, in a collector point of view, the search for new games in the face of so many editions?

telekill

It used to be that I wanted two copies of my favorite games on different platforms that I owned. It was a way of having a backup way to play if my primary died. I think it was near the end of the PS3 days that I stopped that practice. It wasn't worth it in the end for me and I ended up consolidating as many games from previous generations as I could onto my PS4. That freed up quite a bit of storage space for me.

Next wish is to have Uncharted Golden Abyss remastered or fully remade for PS5 so I can get rid of my PSV.

sworddude

With retro I'd like to have games that I like from different consoles or all their different versions. different versions where however more of a rarity back than. so the novelty and it not being to much is fine by me.

With current and last gen. I usually just stick with the base version. I rarely bother with special versions in the current era. almost every game has them these days it's overkill plus a big money sink.

if where talking games that get added content, than yes complete edition for the win, although that option ain't always available.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:24:33 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

It really depends on what is getting added. If we're getting game expansions, then I'm in. And I mean like new areas or missions to play, not some horse armor. Or if it's getting the remake treatment, I'm also in.

But if all it is is some multiplayer missions, new character costumes, some in-game items, or some collectible thrown in, nope, not worth it to me.

If it's the first time I'm buying the game and the GOTY or ultimate edition is already out, then of course I'll go for that one, though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:54:12 pm by burningdoom »

brothertuc

Not important at all.
I buy one version and stick with it.

Only thing I'll buy again, is if it's a remaster or remake for a next-gen console.

empovyle

I have a few digital deluxe games that I would like to buy physical one day, for when the digital stores shut down eventually, most notably MediEvil 2019. The deluxe edition was only digital which is a huge shame, otherwise I would have just bought a physical deluxe edition and called it a day. As far as games on different consoles go, back in the GB and GBA days the console and handheld versions were usually drastically different, so I don't mind buying those to try them out. Modern games I'll buy multiple of if I can find the second copy super cheap because another trophy stack for a game I enjoyed playing is always welcome.

brothertuc

I have a few digital deluxe games that I would like to buy physical one day, for when the digital stores shut down eventually, most notably MediEvil 2019. The deluxe edition was only digital which is a huge shame, otherwise I would have just bought a physical deluxe edition and called it a day. As far as games on different consoles go, back in the GB and GBA days the console and handheld versions were usually drastically different, so I don't mind buying those to try them out. Modern games I'll buy multiple of if I can find the second copy super cheap because another trophy stack for a game I enjoyed playing is always welcome.

I've slowly but steadily begun buying a lot of my digital games as physical copies.
Especially the older ones. I don't want to risk them getting removed from the stores.

Unless it's a game I really, really like I'm content with just owning one version of it. I used to jump for CE/LE releases a lot more, but they take up so much damn space that I really only do this with games from franchises I know I really like.

conduit

My collection is primarily retro so I always default to the base edition. Unless it's a series I like and/or their ports have intrinsic value not present in the original, then I'm fine having multiple copies. Been debating whether or not I should start collecting the DC and GC ports of classic Resident Evil. I have the original PS1 releases and Veronica on DC. My DC library is lacking though. If I commit I'd start with the DC versions of RE2-RE3.

Warmsignal

I like the base / launch edition, simply because I don't like all the advertising, DLC, and other nonsense plastered all over the artwork that comes different editions. I suppose I'll take any that doesn't read like a billboard, except collector's. I don't like the extra "stuff" and don't have the room for extra large boxes.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I like the base / launch edition, simply because I don't like all the advertising, DLC, and other nonsense plastered all over the artwork that comes different editions. I suppose I'll take any that doesn't read like a billboard, except collector's. I don't like the extra "stuff" and don't have the room for extra large boxes.

The worst offender:

And I own it.

scott

In general, I don't really buy dupes of the same game, unless it was a remaster or out of convenience. Such as a Switch release that I can take with me.

The only games I really went out of my way to buy extra copies of are the Nintendo, SNES and Game Boy Castlevania games. So I didn't have to handle my complete copies.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

For collecting, I like the base/original release.

The worst offender:

And I own it.

It may look like trash, but those game of the year editions have all the DLC. I’m actually a fan of those.

It may look like trash, but those game of the year editions have all the DLC. I’m actually a fan of those.

The only real problem is that with so many of them, the DLC comes in the form of redeemable codes rather than on-disc content, so buying used was pure gambling.

This is a matter I am very particular about - Especially in this age where many games launch and mess and release DLC later.

My current plan is to hold out on games untill they dip mid price, unless it is something massive that I just can't wait for - Currently Final Fantasy XVI is all that comes to mind for that.

When a game is announced/launched the first details I look for is whether it has a Seaon Pass or not, if so I will hold off and hope for a Complete Edition. If that never occurs after waiting for a year or so, I  then will keep tabs on the DLC/Seaon Pass and how it fares on sales.

Complete Editions are a must! If your game has Story releated/Essential DLC you better release a Complete Edition on disc a year later! Of course the fear up until release is 'Is the DLC on disc or not?!' A question which often doesn't get an answer prior release and devs need to be more up front about - Or put the content on a new disc and do the job right!

HD Remasters - This is where things get tricky. when a game is Remastered, I often still keep the original in storage. So if it is a PS3 game remastered on PS4 the PS3 copy is off the shelf. The same goes for if I have physical games on PS+ I have a seperate box just for these (Which tells you have much I have o_0).  I do this to keep the preffered version of the game accessible and lessen my shelf space for other titles. I have gotten better at selling my PS4 games that have PS5 versions, but still struggle to let go.

Ports - Following what I previously mentioned sometimes I will have the same game on two systems of the same generation - Most commonly with the PS3 & 360 games. The 360 versions are often backwards compatible which makes them a bigger priority to the PS3 versions - I've even gone to a lot of effort to replace PS3 games with their 360 port due to the pleasure of BC.

As for Collectors Edition content, I think often it is overpriced these days and don't get  the CE's - The majority of it is just tat really. I do often settle for a nice steelbook Edition on big Playstation releases. I loved  the PS3/PS4 Editions which would have the plastic transparent slipcases over the steelbook. I don't like have Steelbooks on my shelf bare - missing t he PS5 Logo Strip and Info, just looks off in comparison to evertynig else there.