Author Topic: i cant believe how much a factory sealed copy of earthbound is going for  (Read 7345 times)

darko

Yeah, Earthbound has been fetching some ridiculous money lately. That, however, is very unlikely to be sold at that price. 6x the price of the highest CIB I've seen in a while? Quite ridiculous.

jcalder8

Considering how much Earthbound has been selling for I'm actually surprised that it isn't higher than that.

atariboy

Yeah, Earthbound has been fetching some ridiculous money lately. That, however, is very unlikely to be sold at that price. 6x the price of the highest CIB I've seen in a while? Quite ridiculous.

Ridiculous? surely you must be kidding, after all it does have a VGA rating of 80 (I am kidding  ;D)
At least he is offering free shipping  ;D
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

amauriel

It always makes me sad to see stuff like this.

I love Earthbound and I want everyone to be able to play it that wants to. At a price point over $200 CIB, and even over $100 cart only, I know people that have an interest in actually enjoying the game aren't always able to get a copy.

As probably my favorite game ever, I'd rather have more people playing and enjoying the game than being able to flaunt my own CIB copy of the game (although I do that from time to time  :P).

And then I see this copy, trapped forever in its plastic, and it's like Stinky Pete in Toy Story 2...it doesn't know real love because it has always been just a collector's item.

I think I've just convinced myself to never by a sealed retro game again.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

desocietas

Fortunately, there are other ways to play Earthbound, and I agree with you about how that particular copy will never be able to break out of its shell to unleash its fun.

I think I played an emulator version of Earthbound when I was younger... thank goodness for the internet!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

Now if only Nintendo would stop being wusses and actually released Earthbound on Virtual Console, they'd do a killing with that!

I know people talk about some problems with the game's music, but I doubt it would cause any actual problems. I mean, having music that sounded like other people's music hasn't stopped Chrono Trigger, FF7, Donkey Kong Country 3, Mega Man X3, Mega Man 1 and all the genesis Sonic games (amongst others) from being re-released.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:53:17 am by jobocan »

ffxik

Now if only Nintendo would stop being wusses and actually released Earthbound on Virtual Console, they'd do a killing with that!

I know people talk about some problems with the game's music, but I doubt it would cause any actual problems. I mean, having music that sounded like other people's music hasn't stopped Chrono Trigger, FF7, Donkey Kong Country 3, Mega Man X3, Mega Man 1 and all the genesis Sonic games (amongst others) from being re-released.

That's Nintendo for ya.  Say, do you remember the ads for that game?  It's almost like Nintendo was wanting it to fail.

desocietas

That's Nintendo for ya.  Say, do you remember the ads for that game?  It's almost like Nintendo was wanting it to fail.

I have a very, very, very faint recollection of these ads (thankfully): http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/01/earthbounds-marketing-campaign/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

You mention that and its cause of the ads and stuff for the game that kept me from buying it when it was released. :|

ffxik

I have a very, very, very faint recollection of these ads (thankfully): http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/01/earthbounds-marketing-campaign/

That 3rd one on that site I actually still have in a GamePro somewhere.  After reading it, it didn't make me want to play the game.  So good job Nintendo, you can do so great and yet fail so hard.

jobocan

You know, the sad thing about the marketing is that the video showed in video game store TVs... is actually the closest this whole thing got to proper marketing. It's really weird how they thought this was good marketing at all.

And it wasn't terribly widespread either. The only reason I knew about it at all (there weren't any game stores around here at the time, and I wasn't subscribed to Nintendo Power at that point) is because they had the big box on display at Blockbuster for rental and I wanted it because "the box is huge, the game MUST be great!" (I totally should have taken it). It was a disaster to say the least.

I was lucky to have friends that DID play it who talked to me about how good it was (who were particularly excited to see Ness in Smash Bros, which is what got me into Earthbound).

I've promised my son that one day he will have this game to play on our snes. He's played it through on the emulator and played through a repro cart of earthbound zero on the nes and even played through the translated rom of mother 3. I just can't pay what is being asked for this game no matter how good it is. We can wait for the bubble to burst or maybe get lucky one day.

What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

amauriel

If you think that is too much ... lol look at this!

http://www.amazon.com/Earthbound-super-nintendo/dp/B002CT1RA4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_7

I have no words, just rage, for something like that.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."