Author Topic: A Year in Review - 2022  (Read 808 times)

kashell

A Year in Review - 2022
« on: December 09, 2022, 08:47:52 am »
2022 was a rough one for a lot of us. It's finally coming to a close soon. Let's reflect on the gaming journey throughout the year. I've always enjoyed this topic and I'm looking forward to all the responses (and the number of Elden Rings). I'll post mine later.

Categories:

Favorite 2022 Release: What's your favorite game that you played this year that was released in 2022?

Least Favorite 2022 Release: On the opposite end, what's your least favorite game released in 2022?

Favorite Game Played in 2022: What game this year earns your spot for best game ever? It could be released in 2022 if you like.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: What's your least favorite game that you played this year?

Sleeper Hit of 2022: What's your personal sleeper hit for 2022?

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: What moment in a game you played this sticks in your head the strongest? Was it something awesome? Something tragic? Something completely over the top? Keep spoilers to a minimum or mark them if you can.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Share a story about a cool find from this year!

Re: A Year in Review - 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 12:22:08 pm »
Favorite Game Played in 2022: Paradise Killer*. Wonderful mix of first person exploration, a story driven whodunnit with an very interesting, colourful cast of characters, and absolutely outstanding music. I love this game.

Ender Lilies is a close second. Screw Metroid Dread, this is a far better metroidvania

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed. Absolute gutter trash, not because of anything lewd, but because the performance and gameplay are an absolute mess. Burn it.

A close second is RIVE. Pretty, performs well, but the gameplay is mostly set pieces that are annoying af, and mostly about luck, not skill. Also, the dialogue was among the cringiest I've ever had to deal with.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: Currently working my way through Bayonetta 1 on Switch and trying to platinum all the levels. Anytime that happens I'm pretty stoked.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Culling some CEs (that I admittedly got for dirt cheap) just so they didn't take up needless space.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 07:04:17 pm »
Favorite 2022 Release: Elden Ring

Least Favorite 2022 Release: The only other 2022 release I played was House of the Dead Remake but I wouldn't consider it my least favorite so N/A

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Elden Ring

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. This was my first time playing since the mid 2000s and although this was my first CV game, I felt it didn't age as well as I thought especially with how it controls. Doesn't help how BS the game can be at times either.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: Bright Memory: Infinite. I started the game back in March and stopped out of nowhere but then picked it back up when I got my Steam Deck and it plays very nicely and I wish there was more

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: In Elden Ring when I was facing Radagon, there was a moment where I defeated him with my mimic tear. We both unintentionally used our weapon arts in sync to defeat him. Thankfully I save this clip on my Playstation and has stuck with me since.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Getting the Steam Deck when they were rolling out. I was on the fence spending the amount that I did but months after the fact, no regrets.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 09:14:39 pm »
Favorite 2022 Release: What's your favorite game that you played this year that was released in 2022?

A Plague Tale Requiem (PS5)

Least Favorite 2022 Release: On the opposite end, what's your least favorite game released in 2022?

90% of the releases.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: What game this year earns your spot for best game ever? It could be released in 2022 if you like.

Going to have to go with the Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection. It was really a treat that this collection ever got released given that Konami fell apart for a few years. I even managed to snag the platinum trophy.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: What's your least favorite game that you played this year?

Destiny 2 Witch Queen. I'm simply over the series anymore.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: What's your personal sleeper hit for 2022?

I hate to say it, but A Plague Tale Requiem is a niche title and could easily be considered a sleeper hit.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: What moment in a game you played this sticks in your head the strongest? Was it something awesome? Something tragic? Something completely over the top? Keep spoilers to a minimum or mark them if you can.

Seeing a wall of 300k rats smash through a medieval castle wall and head towards Amicia and crew was a pretty good "Oh... fu**..." moment.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Share a story about a cool find from this year!

No cool finds per series, but I did decide to pick up the first Plague Tale game for PS5. It's getting hard to find a copy and I found one new for $30. I figured that's as good a price as I'll see from here on.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 09:44:23 pm »
Favorite 2022 Release: Elden Ring - While there are still games I haven't played from this year, like God of War and Horizon, I still think Elden Ring was it for me, it was just such a solid time and while I have some nitpicks with the open world, i was super invested it.

Least Favorite 2022 Release: Pokemon Violet - It's a disaster I never expected to see from a first party Nintendo release.  I was expecting it to have issues, it was very clearly going to, I just never thought it would be this bad, like holy cow.  I still got through it by the nature of Pokemon itself, it's fundamentally an enjoyable enough time despite everything else they did wrong.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge - It's just a great retro throwback with wonderful art and gameplay.  I don't think it does anything amazing, but it's just cool to have a real good TMNT game in 2022.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Resident Evil 8: Shadows of Rose - This DLC isn't outright terrible, but it's a pretty poor bit of DLC as it does add anything to the experience of RE8.  You don't learn anything new that adds to the story and while I don't hate Rose as a character, she's fine, she doesn't add anything to the RE world and I'm hoping she just doesn't show up every again.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: (Can't think of anything for this.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:48:49 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 05:40:38 pm »
Favorite 2022 Release: Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

I'm a huge Kirby fan and this game really pushes my favorite mascot in the right direction. It's not some silly, gimmicky title, either. It's just solid, if not super simple, Kirby action that I've grown to adore through the years.

Least Favorite 2022 Release: Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness.

I knew good and darn well that this game wasn't going to be good before going in given the developer's ahem track record with action games. But still. It wasn't good. I won't give it anymore word space - just check out the anime, instead.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Romancing SaGa 2.

By a country mile. It was released LONG before 2022, but my physical copy from Play Asia arrived this year. This game epitomizes everything I love (and sometimes loathe) about my favorite series. There's so much variety, so much possibility, and goddamn this game is addicting. I can't remember the last time I was so glued to my Switch. Well, actually I do. It was when I got SaGa Frontier Remastered last year.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Omori.

Awful indie crap that tries too hard to get feels from the player and/or be edgy. The gameplay is pretentious and adjacent to other games I don't like such as Earthabound or Undertale. As soon as the credits rolled I got rid of it. Good freaking riddance.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: Monark.

With some extra buff, polish, budget, and marketing I think this could have been something epic. But, as it is, it's a unique and heartfelt RPG. It was fun to platinum it. The soundtrack is just. *chef's kiss* Perfection.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: Finishing Valkyrie Elysium on Valkyrie level difficulty. Prior to that, the game was standard action stuff. On the highest difficulty level, well, I almost entered "throw the controller in a fit of rage" territory. Simply put, the combat is not balanced around that difficulty level. But, I did the damn thing since I liked the game up to that point and since I'm a huge fan of the series.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: For this category, it's nothing related to finding a game. It's actually for getting of games. I've been pruning the collection more and more lately and it's been cathartic as hell. I've sold off a bunch of fighting games, a bunch of CEs, a bunch of LRG titles, games that are part of otherwise enjoyable franchises, and much more. With the profits I've been able to acquire extra "fun money" for extra travel, clothes, etc.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 06:04:51 am »
Favorite 2022 Release: Pocky & Rock Reshrined, very cool shoot'em up and one of the few new releases!

Least Favorite 2022 Release: N/A

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Probably the new season of Fortnite lol, the was a slight Renaissance at the beginning of the year where my friend group picked up Fortnite. It happens every 8 to 9 months and it was a great couple of weeks of play.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: My Playstation 4 died :(

Sleeper Hit of 2022: N/A

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: How good Day's Gone is, it genuinely surprised me :)

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Many small proud moments, not one enormous found as far as I'm concerned. If I remember my proudest find, I will come back to it :)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

conduit

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 10:26:44 am »
Favorite 2022 Release: Postal Brain Damaged. A smooth, solid game. It's Doom Eternal with a Postal skin. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Least Favorite 2022 Release: The Callisto Protocol. I was hyped for this spiritual Dead Space successor until I saw how lackluster the game was on release. At best it's a falsely advertised, poorly designed action game exacerbated by horrible performance and asinine paywalls.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Too many to count. It's a toss up between the first three Silent Hills, Rondo of Blood and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Nothing I played this year stood out as something to avoid.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: Couldn't say. I don't buy or play enough modern games to formulate a sound opinion on this.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: Acquiring a PVM to view games in RGB for the first time. I've always wanted once ever since I first started studying up on CRTs and retro video, albeit I was young at the time and had no real income. Now this isn't the case. I was fortunate enough to find a Sony 14L5 and 20L5 in good working order. I don't even remember the first game I saw in RGB, but I remember the absolute feeling of clarity I felt watching it.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Completed the PS2 horror trifecta! Finally got Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, and Kuon all complete in box.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 08:40:34 pm »
Favorite 2022 Release: Elden Ring.  I'm a Souls-nut, and this one of the best ever made.  No brainer for me.  Not something I see getting supplanted by other 2022 releases I haven't played yet, either.

Least Favorite 2022 Release: Evil Dead: The Game.  Didn't hate it or anything, just bottom of a short list.  Had the most weird game play quirks.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Also Elden Ring.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2.  Just didn't care to the short time limits in the levels.  Free mode is fine, though.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: Not a sleeper here, but Shredder's Revenge.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: So many moments in Elden Ring.  Probably looking out over the fog of Liurnia of the Lake.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: After years of thinking I'd never buy even one I got all 3 Castlevania DS games this year with a combination of good trade-ins and timing.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 11:26:29 pm »
I always look forward to this post every year

Favorite 2022 Release: Elden Ring.  2022 had some strong contenders I imagine, but I didn't play any and I'm gonna be honest, I think Elden Ring is the GOAT and I look forward to the inevitable follow up, even if it isn't "Elden Ring".

Least Favorite 2022 Release: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Sakuretsu!! Chorogon Breath.  This wasn't bad per se, but I also didn't play many games that came out this year and I'm not a fan of shmup games in general and this one is pretty flat in its offerings.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Elden Ring.  Easily.  Played through the game at launch with my wife on Xbox.  After beating it on Xbox, we got copies for both of us on PC and played through on PC.  After that I setup randomizer and played through with that... after that my wife and I set up seamless co-op and randomizer and played through that.  Easily put in over 500 hours in the game myself if not more.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: Either Superhot VR or The Good Life.  Superhot VR is just painfully difficult, like almost unenjoyably difficult given the VR.  The Good Life I enjoyed up until the end when I reached a game breaking bug that if you don't load an old save file immediately you're soft locked and can't ever beat the game without starting over.  I was close to beating the game and that happened.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: For games released this year?  Powerwash Simulator, this game ate up a lot of my time, that's really all I've got to say on that.  Played in general?  I'd maybe say Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric... I had really really low expectations for this one and even had folks telling me not to do it to myself, but honestly, the game was great in comparison to what I was led to believe.  Honestly, it's a fun game part on rails Sonic part beat em up, it's great.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: Honestly, so many moments in Elden Ring, especially moments with the randomizer.  Honestly, probably a continuation of last year re:dark souls, but Elden Ring.  My wife put in so much time into Elden Ring, she beat the game twice this year just like me.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Getting a 512GB Steam Deck for next to nothing out of pocket.  I converted Amazon Rewards money, did Swagbucks surveys, etc. and wound up with like an out of pocket of like $60 for the Steam Deck and the Steam Deck Docking station.

As usual I'll add some categories

Proudest Gaming Accomplishment in 2022: I haven't actually done what I want to write yet, but I'm real close to accomplishing a certain goal, so I'll update this once I've done it. Beating a game released from every year from 1977 to 2022.

Favorite Game Revisited in 2022: Dark Souls 3 probably just for the fact that I played it with my wife and some of her family.

Least Favorite Game beat in 2022: Probably Bebe's Kids or 3 Ninjas Kick Back on SNES, both of those games sucked hard.  But also maybe The American Dream, that game kinda sucked.

Top 10 Games played in 2022:
  • Elden Ring (PC)
  • Elden Ring (XS)
  • Atelier Ryza 2 (NS)
  • Demon's Souls (PS5)
  • Far Cry 6 (XS)
  • Mega Man Legends 2 (PS1)
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus (NS)
  • Blue Fire (NS)
  • Blood & Truth (PSVR)
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (NS/X1)

Ten worst games played in 2022
  • The Good Life (X1)
  • Sonic Dash 2 (Android)
  • Sonic Dash (Android)
  • Omno (X1)
  • The American Dream (PSVR)
  • Bebe's Kids (SNES)
  • 3 Ninjas Kick Back (SNES)
  • Sonic Rivals (PSP)
  • Sonic 4 Episode 1 (XBLA)
  • Sonic Chronicles (NDS)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:24:56 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 03:11:01 am »
Favorite 2022 Release: A Plagues Tale: Reqiuem - I haven't beat this yet but I really am enjoying it! What I love is that it isn't just an open world adventure but a game with structure and benefits with perfect pacing. The bleak narrative and character struggles are genuinely compelling and I'm very invested in the journey. With a generation of games with padding and lacking of interesting scenario writting I'm thrilled to see a game which has so much to offer in it's core experience.

Least Favorite 2022 Release: SIFU - Sure there are worse games but this was the biggest let down for me, and it all comes down to the difficulty. The game  takes on the Dark Souls difficulty mentality to the poitn where it just isn't approachable, especially on the bosses which use projectiles. There is an Easy mode, but that mode is a joke and as demanding as watching a Let's Play. Also, I didn't like the way the game offers branches of the story ONLY once yuo have beaten the game, I would have liked these options to be available within the initial playthrough.

Favorite Game Played in 2022: Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this title going turn based but I loved it! It's niot without it's flaws I didn't like the job system but the narrative cuts DEEP and I love Ichiban as a main character. There was a lot of room for error within this game but it really does succeed far beyond I expected.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2022: SIFU - Once again, its not 'The Bouncer' I was hoping for.

Sleeper Hit of 2022: Road 96 - An interesting adventure game where you play as teenagers travelling to cross the American border. The main characters are silent but the journeys and characters you meet and how they all interconnect is very compelling.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2022: Yakuza: Like A Dragon - The narrative regarding the Locker, I don't wantto go into too much detail for who haven't experienced it but it was very emotional.

Favorite Game Revisited in 2022: Resident Evil Code Veronica HD - I've been playing the entire RE series with a firend this year and didn't hold Code Veronica with much regard before. But replaying it I really began to appreciate it. There are still problems like how it begins Weskers overpowered abilities & Steve... But the game is very solid and we had a lot of fun playing it.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2022: Final Fantasy VIII Bandai Figures - I don't normally get figures but I couldn't pass on seeing the 2x Bandai set of figures for Final Fantasy VIII. I also found the 2 missing characters (Irvine & Selphie) for cheap on eBay too. I would like to eventually collect all the ArtFX range but they ain't cheap!

Also shout out to the Xbox Series S - It will be an experimental device for modding but if I can finally play my 200+ PS2 Games in HD It will be a great investment!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 03:19:01 am by vivigamer »

kashell

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 09:48:57 am »
Great stuff so far, as always. I'll try to remember to make some additions with the topics ignition365 added.