Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Appreciation Thread  (Read 1282 times)

telekill

Re: Mortal Kombat Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 02:59:11 pm »
(on a side note, I am in the process of trying to get to voice a character for the next game).

Ok... that's cool. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us in the loop.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 12:34:54 pm »
(on a side note, I am in the process of trying to get to voice a character for the next game).

Ok... that's cool. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us in the loop.

Yes, good luck!

I just ordered the MK11 complete edition.  Plan on checking it out not long after it gets here.

dhaabi

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 09:28:13 am »
For fans of the franchise, how do you feel about yesterday's announcement trailer for Mortal Kombat 1?

jason

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 09:46:33 am »
For fans of the franchise, how do you feel about yesterday's announcement trailer for Mortal Kombat 1?

Happy to hear about the new game :) I can't believe how close it is to its release already! Has it really been 30 years of this franchise already?!

telekill

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 10:34:57 am »
The trailer looked great but for those that haven't finished the main MK11 story mode, the trailer is going to be super confusing.

As an MK fan since the start, there are notable missing characters -- Sonya and Kano. That tells me they'll either be announced before release, or will end up being DLC characters at some point. In their stead, are Kitana and Mileena... characters not introduced until the 2nd game. Time will tell what happens, but I believe a Kontent pack is already confirmed to be adding more fighters into the roster. Hence, why I'll wait for a Komplete version later down the road.

Some constructive criticism of MK11 and hopes for the new game start with the way the story of MK11 was handled. it's essentially a CG movie with fights in-between. Depending on where you had to stop gaming for the session, you may end up stuck having to re-watch un-skippable portions of the story... and they are long. If they plan to continue with this method of storytelling, they need to add more checkpoints within the story so people aren't stuck watching 5-10 min of movie to continue to the next fight and progress.

Next criticism was the way the Krypt was handled in MK11. I didn't like the randomness. It felt like Netherrealm's way of creating loot boxes. There was no way to know what you were getting, making the Krypt essentially useless. Even if you put in extra money into buying Koins or whatever, it still made it impossible to know what you would get.

I'm hoping that Netherrealm gets creative again in relation to extra modes. I would enjoy a call back to the Deception days with Konquest and MK Chess modes. While MK11's story is written the best, I think the more open running around and finding chests was a welcome diversion from just fighting.

I'll eventually be picking up the new game. In the meantime, I still have my Sega Game Gear version of MK1.  ;)

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2023, 04:08:14 am »
I'm looking forward to the new game.  I said before I'm a casual fan, a casual fighting game fan really, and I think this new one has some potential.  The setup with Liu Kang essentially restarting the world is a good way to reboot things, hopefully bring it back to basics so to speak such as we see with Scorpion and Sub-Zero looking identical (possible brothers even unless they mean "Brothers in war" sort of deal), which is a nod to the old color palette swap ninjas of the original.

The Kameo system sounds interesting, an assist option that I feel could be used as a way to bring more characters into the game as a bonus, rather than relying on them showing up in the story or as fully fleshed out characters.  Characters could return that otherwise wouldn't, hence being a cameo.

Of course I hope they don't screw things up like they did abit with MK11, as it's been said, the Krypt was real frustrating, and I personally didn't like the loot/gear system that much, so hopefully that is gone.  I feel like if they strip it all down, focus on the core gameplay and assist system, it might be a great game.

I'm hoping we see gameplay next week, it feels like everything is lining up where they announced the game this week, next week they could have a gameplay trailer at the Sony event, and then have some hands on gameplay being shown at Summer Game Fest as they need to get a lot of promotion out there fast and hard with it's really soon release date.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 02:49:51 pm »
MK has been fun over the years, but never my favorite fighting series. The gameplay has always felt…..messy, if that makes any sense. Not that I’m anything close to a fighting game expert, but series like SF, Tekken, Darkstalkers, and SoulCalibur just feel more polished to me.

I still remember the first time I ever played the first game. Passed by it in the arcade multiple times before trying it. While I played (as Raiden) someone else came up and challenged me. I admitted I had never played it before so he gave me some pointers before destroying me and performing a Fatality. Eventually got the SNES game (which, unlike most gamers, I liked better than the Genesis port; much better graphics & sound, and I could live with the nerfed Fatalities. Raiden’s is better in the SNES port anyway :D )

MK2 and 3 were the height of my interest in the series. With help from the SNES port and a strategy guide, I memorized almost every move, Fatality, Babality, and Friendship. My college dorm had an MK2 machine in the lobby and occasionally I would go down there and kick the AI’s ass. I worked at a mall arcade when MK3 came out and I remember the lines for that thing.

I know Ultimate MK3 gets a lot of praise, but since I never really played against other people, it was a big disappointment because the AI was altered to be SUPER DUPER CHEAP, to the point it wasn’t fun to play. MK Gold suffered from the same problem.
MK4 looked and played like ass so I ignored it.

I did get the Mileena edition of MK Deception on Xbox and Konquest mode was a fun diversion, but I was never a fan of the new gameplay, with every character sporting 2 different fighting styles. I rented Shaolin Monks and it was fun but I never actually bought it.

I fell out of the series until MK9, which was pretty fun. However, I don’t buy many new fighting games anymore because I just don’t have the time to spare to relearn the characters, so I haven’t bought an MK game since then.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 02:54:12 pm by undertakerprime »