Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023  (Read 19282 times)

dhaabi

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2023, 04:34:02 pm »
I just had an edit rejected and im very confused with the changes you have made to the original listing.

Based on the information we do know when looking at entry history, 31604 is the NL release. The NL back art has remain unchanged since 2013. There years later, UK barcode information was approved in error, which never should have been done. This field has since been corrected, and, like you've mentioned, an entry representing the UK regional variant has been submitted which has been missing until now.

Whether any number of people have the correct item listed as part of their collection or not is beyond our concern for how we determine the identity of an entry. If people are wanting an accurate representation of their actual library, they simply need to be more observant of entry details. For ten years, why did no one look at the back art for 31604 and think, wait, this art doesn't reflect the item I own, and then ask about it? Of course, the reason why is that most people are not concerned about these finer details, meaning they are also not concerned about having the correct item being added to their online collection.

wolfen

« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2023, 01:19:57 am »
I created this page before the official release of Super Mario 3D All Stars and it's obsolete now and needs deleting
https://vgcollect.com/item/210380
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:39:43 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2023, 03:11:52 am »
For ten years, why did no one look at the back art for 31604 and think, wait, this art doesn't reflect the item I own, and then ask about it? Of course, the reason why is that most people are not concerned about these finer details, meaning they are also not concerned about having the correct item being added to their online collection.[/font]

Because they checked the barcode which read as the UK release.

I just think it would make more sense to accept that this entry was seen as the UK (European) release and the new entry should have been created as NL.  But hey, thats your call.

As an aside i think it must be noted that English is the main European gaming language and therefore European games are released in English.  Basically English language games are not limited to UK only.  I get the feeling US natives dont understand this fact so when they see a UK release and think thats only released within UK borders, its not.  The UK releases were shipped all over Europe and sold in dozens of other countries.

Historically the UK releases were sold all over Europe where it was too expensive to convert games into a local European language - Europe is made up of around 50 countries, most with their own languages.

Just an observation.

sworddude

« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2023, 04:55:19 am »
I just had an edit rejected and im very confused with the changes you have made to the original listing.

I submitted a rear case scan of the True Crime Streets of LA to this listing https://vgcollect.com/item/31604 - this listing had the incorrect rear scan a Dutch edition scan.

You rejected that scan saying that this listing was for [NL].  The listing was originally not listed as [NL] you have added that into the title when you rejected my rear scan.  You have also changed the barcode.  I ALWAYS look at the barcode as the principle indicator of the database entry and this entry was 100% not the [NL] release except for the incorrect rear case scan that was on the listing.  The barcode was originally the correct common release (ending 128).

This [NL] listing now has 128 people saying this is in their collection.  I dont think that most people have the [NL] copy of this game which is much rarer release.

You have also created a new entry for the common release of this game which uses my rear scan https://vgcollect.com/item/252886 - this common release is not in anyones collection.

I dont understand why you changed the barcode on the original listing and created a new entry for the common release.

This is unfortunately not a rare issue it happens way to often for my taste. The sad truth is that you'll just have to delete said item from the collection and get to the correct one that is newly created it is what it is.

it's pretty annoying when blanco releases change to spanish german,dutch or french when every pal collector had this piece listed and thus only a fraction now has the correct version.

And usually when people selected a piece there was no indication what language the listing would have been the front cover in most cases is identical.

One of my big pet peeves with this site.

For ten years, why did no one look at the back art for 31604 and think, wait, this art doesn't reflect the item I own, and then ask about it? Of course, the reason why is that most people are not concerned about these finer details, meaning they are also not concerned about having the correct item being added to their online collection.[/font]

I just think it would make more sense to accept that this entry was seen as the UK (European) release and the new entry should have been created as NL.  But hey, thats your call.

As an aside i think it must be noted that English is the main European gaming language and therefore European games are released in English.  Basically English language games are not limited to UK only.  I get the feeling US natives dont understand this fact so when they see a UK release and think thats only released within UK borders, its not.  The UK releases were shipped all over Europe and sold in dozens of other countries.

Historically the UK releases were sold all over Europe where it was too expensive to convert games into a local European language - Europe is made up of around 50 countries, most with their own languages.

Just an observation.

Agreed UK version would the way to go for blanco entries, considering most folks either want UK version or their own language. Would be a nice middle road if they would have to change the entry to be more detailed.

I think most people who look at blanco entries think of an english release which is fine enough. When you turn something to spanish or french when your not from those countries your going to dislike alterations such as these since it's clearly not the correct item, people will care at that point.

Also it is true main ingame language for games in europe is English. Other languages happen but not in all cases let alone voice acting, but english is always there. and it is true that UK copies are available in other european countries aswell.

Personally I either collect dutch or UKV versions of games. However If I have an opportunity for a UKV copy I always convert unless the condition is allot less. I definitely do prefer my games in english, sounds a hell lot better ingame aswell.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 05:04:23 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2023, 07:21:02 am »
https://vgcollect.com/item/84889

Is a Frankenstein Entry. Module belongs to the 1987 PAL Atari Corp rerelease. While the Rest seems to indicate 1981 release. I can provide back cover and module for 1981.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:52:33 am by tripredacus »

dhaabi

« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2023, 08:53:24 am »
For ten years, why did no one look at the back art for 31604 and think, wait, this art doesn't reflect the item I own, and then ask about it? Of course, the reason why is that most people are not concerned about these finer details, meaning they are also not concerned about having the correct item being added to their online collection.

Like I mentioned before which you may have overlooked (at the very least, what I said isn't a part of what you're specifically responding to), 31604 has featured NL back cover art since 2013. Partly because of metshael's conflicting 2016 Barcode edit which never should have been approved but more so simply because there have been too many edits, there is no way we are able to tell what this entry was originally supposed to be. That last principle is something we must honor—an entry's original intent as to what item it's supposed to represent. But, since we do not know for certain due to all the conflicting edits, we must look to the earliest information which can inform us, which would be stethebubble's 2013 Back Box Art edit that signifies the entry being NL.

It is important to uphold an entry's original intent. All items are equal, and it is irrelevant how many members include it as part of their collection. If a member submits an item being something as uncommon as a LT item, later edits should not be made (and especially approved) to alter it to something such as UK, which is the course of action you're suggesting.

Agreed UK version would the way to go for blanco entries, considering most folks either want UK version or their own language. Would be a nice middle road if they would have to change the entry to be more detailed.

31604 was not a blank or generic entry. It has featured region-specific information signifying NL since 2013.

That said, what you are saying is how generic entries are treated. However, the priority order is instead EU and then UK. So, if a generic entry has no discerning information for us to declare what it is, we should look to see if a EU copy exists. If it does not, then a UK copy. If that does not exist either, then some other English-cover.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:10:57 am by dhaabi »

sworddude

« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2023, 03:12:12 pm »
For ten years, why did no one look at the back art for 31604 and think, wait, this art doesn't reflect the item I own, and then ask about it? Of course, the reason why is that most people are not concerned about these finer details, meaning they are also not concerned about having the correct item being added to their online collection.

Like I mentioned before which you may have overlooked (at the very least, what I said isn't a part of what you're specifically responding to), 31604 has featured NL back cover art since 2013. Partly because of metshael's conflicting 2016 Barcode edit which never should have been approved but more so simply because there have been too many edits, there is no way we are able to tell what this entry was originally supposed to be. That last principle is something we must honor—an entry's original intent as to what item it's supposed to represent. But, since we do not know for certain due to all the conflicting edits, we must look to the earliest information which can inform us, which would be stethebubble's 2013 Back Box Art edit that signifies the entry being NL.

It is important to uphold an entry's original intent. All items are equal, and it is irrelevant how many members include it as part of their collection. If a member submits an item being something as uncommon as a LT item, later edits should not be made (and especially approved) to alter it to something such as UK, which is the course of action you're suggesting.

31604 was not a blank or generic entry. It has featured region-specific information signifying NL since 2013.

That said, what you are saying is how generic entries are treated. However, the priority order is instead EU and then UK. So, if a generic entry has no discerning information for us to declare what it is, we should look to see if a EU copy exists. If it does not, then a UK copy. If that does not exist either, then some other English-cover.

Sure European multi language should be the highest priority for a blanket entry. That being said not all consoles did this. It's mostly single language versions with quite some consoles.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2023, 03:37:27 pm »

Is a Frankenstein Entry. Module belongs to the 1987 PAL Atari Corp rerelease. While the Rest seems to indicate 1981 release. I can provide back cover and module for 1981.

btw the front cover is 1981 release. The Corp-Versions don't have the reference to Time Warner - which Atari Corp was sold of to Jack Tramiel. What to do override the wrong media?

tripredacus

« Reply #248 on: September 05, 2023, 09:52:21 am »
Re this True Crime Streets of LA
https://vgcollect.com/item/31604

Original intent should always be preserved. We can't see on-site what the original info was from the original author. This specific entry is not on WaybackMachine so we can't see old versions. Whatever was original was fully replaced by stethebubble the next year, so anything after that doesn't matter. It is common for older entries to have been made as either FR or NL releases because that is what a lot of that era art on GameFAQs is of.

If original intent cannot be acertained, it should be made to the UK version. For PS2 there usually isn't a English EU version that isn't UK as those are usually for NL or at least we can more easily determine where the thing was from as opposed to Nintendo and their EU* type versions.

For Defender

2600 is different type of problem as there are many EU releases and it is all very confusing. Often a site will just say a release is from EU in general because info from back then is not as well documented as today. So even though this sort-of looks to have the same issues as the PS2 game there is no default fall-back to what a (potential) generic entry should be changed to. So this one can keep the front art but not the cart art.

empovyle

« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2023, 07:08:09 pm »
Xbox Series X 
https://vgcollect.com/item/253744 
Empty + nonspecific listing - https://vgcollect.com/browse/xboxsxh

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:16:08 am by tripredacus »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:27:18 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2023, 08:46:41 pm »
Hello.

I'm trying to upload the cover for the brazilian version of "Turboat" for the MSX.

It has been rejected, with the reply stating that "the submitted image is missing "MSX" text at the bottom-right corner.". So I'll try to explain.

There's nothing wrong with the cover. The absent MSX logo was a small label added later.

Here's the cover I was trying to add:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 08:48:21 pm by cidraman »

dhaabi

« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2023, 09:00:50 am »
I'm trying to upload the cover for the brazilian version of "Turboat" for the MSX.

https://vgcollect.com/item/238723

If the label is official, meaning that it's a formal part to how the item was originally available, then the existing art is higher quality due to the image being a more comprehensive representation of the item. When you say that the label was added later, are you meaning that it's not official and was applied later on by a third party? If that's the case, then your new image will be approved if re-submitted, but only if the label is explained.

Below is the original image in question.

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2023, 10:19:54 am »
No, it went to stores with the label (meaning it was not added by a third party). I was pointing that the label was not a part of the original art, and it's common to encounter these boxes without the label in present days.

But I understand keeping the image that resembles the original product the most.

Sorry for any trouble and thank you for your attention.