Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 2.8.2023 thoughts?  (Read 594 times)

Nintendo Direct 2.8.2023 thoughts?
« on: February 08, 2023, 06:05:28 pm »
Pretty good Nintendo Direct for everyone I think!

What stood out for me:
Pikmin 4 looks like Pikmin with Poochy added. I was expecting a new twist on the franchise.

Samba de Amigo is cool.

Nintendo promoting another game that seems like a ripoff of their own IP this time being Style Savvy, previously done with Nintendogs (Little Friends Dogs & Cats) and Wii Fit (Fitness Boxing).

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective multi-platform release.

Deca Police looks cool and apparently Level-5 is back to releasing games everywhere after I'm pretty sure they said they weren't going to release outside of Japan. Sadly no Yo-kai Watch 4.

Splatoon 3 continues ripping off their fanbase with paid DLC just to visit the hub from the first game. That's it. Nothing special is happening there you just get to visit it.

We ❤ Katamari!!! My favorite announcement of the show (even though it leaked a while ago) and it's multi-platform day one woooooo!!!!

Omega Strikers free to play game is like Mario Strikers sort of.

Kirby demo out today.

Game Boy, GBC and GBA games coming to Switch Online with decent lineups. No Pokémon though.

Metroid Prime finally coming to Switch and not as a trilogy because Nintendo knows people will just buy them individually at full price.

Mario Kart DLC continues to impress with an awesome new Yoshi's Island track and a NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER BIRDO?! I really hope this means we finally get Diddy Kong in the future!

Tears of the Kingdom does not interest me at all. Looks like an expansion.

Overall though the Direct was good with a nice variety of stuff.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 06:09:49 pm by weirdfeline »

telekill

Re: Nintendo Direct 2.8.2023 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 06:14:28 pm »
It wasn't good, IMO. I understand a lot of people wanting the remaster of Metroid Prime, but I've just never been a Metroid fan. I was really hoping we'd see the Zelda TP and WW HD port announcements today but alas... still waiting. At this point, I'm going to go on a limb and say that it won't happen. All the rumors over the last two years have been nothing but farts in the wind.

I'm looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom but I agree, it really looks more like an expansion. Oh well.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 06:23:11 pm »
It wasn't good, IMO. I understand a lot of people wanting the remaster of Metroid Prime, but I've just never been a Metroid fan. I was really hoping we'd see the Zelda TP and WW HD port announcements today but alas... still waiting. At this point, I'm going to go on a limb and say that it won't happen. All the rumors over the last two years have been nothing but farts in the wind.

I'm looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom but I agree, it really looks more like an expansion. Oh well.
It's confirmed to be $70 for Tears of the Kingdom. Pretty funny.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 06:58:59 pm »

It's confirmed to be $70 for Tears of the Kingdom. Pretty funny.

Yeah, saw that. Pretty disappointed with Nintendo for gouging their fans but I suppose it's nothing all that new from them.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 07:27:37 pm »
Price gouging aside from Nintendo on Tears of the Kingdom, I am very excited for it, it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun, and what seems like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts-esque vehicle building seems like it could make for some extra silly fun.  Hopefully the game does what most people are wanting and adds more proper dungeons and changes some elements.

The Direct wasn't the best for me, though the highlights were definitely the drop of the Gameboy stuff on NSO, both original and GBA is pretty dope and that might be enough to finally get me to justify the expansion pack for NSO a little more.  Also Metroid Prime getting a remaster with updated visuals and controls was the other big one.  All I needed was proper dual stick controls to replace how the game use to be, and that's what I got.  I'll probably pick that one up a little later, or at least grab it physical when that is available.  Not quite in a rush as I'm playing Dead Space still right now.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 08:04:10 pm »
Pikmin 4 looks fun. I've only ever played the debut entry, so I can't comment on how much the series has progressed with the latest entry. I don't see myself playing the sequel anytime soon, but I do need to make it a priority to play Pikmin 3 Deluxe since it is a game I already own.

My favorite part of the Deca Police trailer was the cop saying "I'll get rid of every last one of these pigs" without sensing the irony.

Samba de Amigo: Party Central was a surprise. I haven't played any of the previous titles, but it seems fun and modernized well. Its color palette is greatly reminiscent of Just Dance.

I have no plans on playing Splatoon 3 anytime soon, but it is an IP I greatly enjoy. The Side Project DLC seems interesting.

I'd like to play Professor Layton and the New World of Steam. I've only played the first entry, but it's a franchise I'd like to experience more. I'm sure longtime fans of the series are ecstatic.

The Tears of the Kingdom trailer finally set itself apart enough from Breath of the Wild, in my opinion. It's not a game I will be be playing with any immediacy, though.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:33:15 am »
I'm just happy Advance Wars finally got a release date.

telly

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 09:23:06 am »
I'm really excited for Pikmin 4. Pikmin 3 was my favorite in the series and I hope it just continues to get better!

I'm also excited about the Baten Kaitos collection, Professor Layton, and the new Zelda game :) I'm also really interested in checking out Advance Wars as I've never played any of those games before but I've been on a bit of a strategy game kick lately.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 11:56:36 am »
It was honestly one of the worst I can remember tbh.

Everything first party was either a rerelease or remaster, and the things that weren't were pretty much just "DLC! Season Pass!" It's become pretty evident that Nintendo has fallen to the dark side, and while i get this isn't new, it's becoming more and more evident that it's become a larger part of their business practices. Then of course there was Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, which is a game I should be head over heels hyped for, but honestly there hasn't been anything shown about it so far that has really blown me away or made me feel like I'm about to explore a whole new world. I'm sure it'll be good and I will buy it day 1, but as far as getting me hyped for it, it did very little.

As for the third party stuff, nothing truly jumped out at me and while there are a few games I might pick up, it just didn't blow me away the way various other Directs have.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 12:10:01 pm »
Best Nintendo Direct in a while! New Metroid released same day! New Zelda trailer. The new Kirby expansion looks fun. And the new Disney Illusion game looks great. And demos!

conduit

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 07:02:57 pm »
Metroid Prime Remaster was the highlight of the Direct for me. With rumors of Metroid Prime remakes coming to Switch seeing the Remaster for the first time was cathartic. With Metroid Prime 4 still in development for the foreseeable future I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy receiving the Remaster treatment.

Sea of Stars was another game that stood out, particularly for its absolutely stunning pixel art. I'm a sucker for it and got hooked just through the visuals alone. It won't be released till August 29th but a demo's already out on the Switch. Going to give it a try when I can and how the gameplay performs.