Author Topic: Rejected edits and site advancement  (Read 2074 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Rejected edits and site advancement
« on: February 23, 2023, 01:31:55 pm »
Hey Folks,

So I just wanted to make a small observation about rejected edits. As a member of this community for over 10 years, I take a lot of pride in this site along with everyone else involved. Every time I log in it's like coming home after a long day's work and finally getting to sit down at the dinner table. At this point the site itself is almost as nostalgic as some of my beloved games. It's comfort food really.

Over the past few recent years however I've noticed many of my edits being rejected. I honestly feel this is hindering the progress and maturation of the site, which relies heavily on user submitted information. I put a lot of time and care into researching accurate information before submitting it to the site, and often times it still gets rejected.

More times that not I'll be reading the back of the box in my hands while comparing that to the source of information I find on the web, just to make sure everything lines up 100%. Sometimes I even boot up the game just to make sure the developer and publisher logo's coincide with the facts as well. I genuinely take this very seriously, but with the amount of rejects I receive it's just not worth spending the time anymore.

At the end of the day, I just want to see this site grow and flourish into the best damn video game database in existence.

Thank you for your time,
-Retromangia

dhaabi

Re: Rejected edits and site advancement
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 04:37:25 pm »
I believe that most of our users would agree that no information is better than incorrect information. I will also point out that for over 99% of the items DB staff respond to, we do not own them nor have them in-hand. So, with that said, we are relying upon other databases or online classifieds many times to verify information. At times, verifying information is difficult given these circumstances. It is not typical of me, but I will sometimes message a user for more information if I cannot verify it myself.

On that note, just because an edit submission has been rejected does not mean that it is the be all, end all. Users are free to post any relevant concerns to the Error Listings and rejected edits thread.

Concerning recent issues you may have had, I believe it relates to Battleship for Game Boy [NA], if I remember correctly. You provided December 22, 1989 Release Date information. As I noted in the provided Admin Comments, this is incorrect information, as that date is for the JP release. The NA release is December 1992 according to GameFAQs. Looking back, I should have approved your edit submission for the Month field, but I was focused on the entire date overall in that moment, so that rejection is human error. If GameFAQs is reporting incorrect information themselves, then providing a credible source to verify any differing information is certainly accepted.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 04:55:45 pm by dhaabi »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:07:52 am »
Hey Folks,

So I just wanted to make a small observation about rejected edits. As a member of this community for over 10 years, I take a lot of pride in this site along with everyone else involved. Every time I log in it's like coming home after a long day's work and finally getting to sit down at the dinner table. At this point the site itself is almost as nostalgic as some of my beloved games. It's comfort food really.

Over the past few recent years however I've noticed many of my edits being rejected. I honestly feel this is hindering the progress and maturation of the site, which relies heavily on user submitted information. I put a lot of time and care into researching accurate information before submitting it to the site, and often times it still gets rejected.

More times that not I'll be reading the back of the box in my hands while comparing that to the source of information I find on the web, just to make sure everything lines up 100%. Sometimes I even boot up the game just to make sure the developer and publisher logo's coincide with the facts as well. I genuinely take this very seriously, but with the amount of rejects I receive it's just not worth spending the time anymore.

At the end of the day, I just want to see this site grow and flourish into the best damn video game database in existence.

Thank you for your time,
-Retromangia

If they reject my changes, no chance that i do that again on that item. Looks more like the 2 mods want to do everything themselves and we are just bothering them with our changes.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 10:50:54 am »
Looks more like the 2 mods want to do everything themselves and we are just bothering them with our changes.

There are 9 people who go through the edit queue. I can't speak for everyone eles, but I try to use the comment section on the reject if possible.

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 11:41:46 am »
If they reject my changes, no chance that i do that again on that item. Looks more like the 2 mods want to do everything themselves and we are just bothering them with our changes.

It's a shame you feel that way. Numerous other site members regularly contribute detailed information, and it is approved without concern because it is correct. Personally, if I am rejecting any edit submissions, I generally go ahead and update that same field the edit was for because I have already taken the time and effort in verifying that same information.

I can't speak for everyone eles, but I try to use the comment section on the reject if possible.

The same can be said from me. I supply feedback for at least 95% of all edit rejections.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 12:29:01 pm »
Btw, dont worry about it, i dont.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:02:04 pm »
There are whole fields I never touch because I know it'll always get rejected.

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 09:16:26 am »

I can't think of a single field where edits are near universally rejected or even one field that has a notable percentage of its edit submissions being rejected. As noted above, the recent Admin Comments update allows for rejections to be even more easily explained. So, if a user's edits are consistently being rejected, then that is almost guaranteed to be a result of the user being unfamiliar to the style guide or not following admin suggestions which are regularly provided.

As much as it may seem otherwise, DB staff want to approve your edits. But we will not approve them at the cost of their being inaccurate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:33:05 am by dhaabi »

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 11:07:51 am »
+1

jason

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:17:29 am »
I'm sorry. There have been many failing on my part. For a long time the Developers and Publishers especially ended up giving phantom entries where it would send blank edits for the Admins. These would end up showing as rejections unintentionally.

Also, I'm hoping that our new admin feedback options that display on the notifications page will allow for more transparency into why submissions get rejected.

As we heavily rely on User Generated Content, we greatly appreciate the efforts of everyone who submits content and don't want to further deter people. So many people have made contributions over the years and those contributions should not be understated. We really appreciate all the help from everyone to be where we are today.

We also attempt to keep the quality of the entries to the highest standard as well. I know we don't all agree with how all the entries are handled, but we try to make what decisions we think would be the best for all.

Please feel free to reach out here or DM me to further discuss ways to make things better overall.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 10:20:00 am »

It really feels like this.

Add me to this list, agree with this 100%, whatever happened in these last couple of years it doesn't feel great.

I have had multiple issues during these final years in terms of rejections but the latest issue is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, I will definitely add myself to this list after a recent incident being allot worse than past examples. But even prior to this pal ps1 issue it is true, allot of stuff gets rejected even if it was a very nice upgrade over something previously. This didn't happen in the past unless said update was terrible. It makes editing stuff a hell lot more of a hassle/demotivating.

PS.

The feedback is usually ice cold and ignores how bad the previous listing was. Eitherway maybe it's better to just stop bothering. I'll just let others handle it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:26:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 11:38:01 am »
I have had multiple issues during these final years in terms of rejections but the latest issue is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, I will definitely add myself to this list after a recent incident being allot worse than past examples. But even prior to this pal ps1 issue it is true, allot of stuff gets rejected even if it was a very nice upgrade over something previously. This didn't happen in the past unless said update was terrible. It makes editing stuff a hell lot more of a hassle/demotivating.

PS.

The feedback is usually ice cold and ignores how bad the previous listing was.

On the topic of admin comments received after a rejected edit, of course they are brief and to the point. If someone is wanting to know more in-depth about any rejection they receive, they are free to post on the forums. You alone submitted nearly 50 edits last night in a short span, with many being rejected. You cannot expect mods to give detailed and personalized explanations for each and every one of those rejections when there are that many, because that is what the Rejected Edits topic is for upon a member's introduction to the issue.

Speaking on my behalf, I generally explain why the action was taken and link to the rule in the style guide, which is more than sufficient. At times, I even link to items I am referencing from online classifieds. But as has already been stated above, there are now ten staff members who may respond to the edit queue but only two are typically present on the forums in responding to edit submission concerns.

We have plenty of members who regularly contribute edits who at times receive rejections. After receiving feedback, edits are usually submitted again correctly and are approved without issue. So, if feedback is continuously given and a member refuses to take it, or if a member remains ignorant to guidelines despite being shown them, then of course their edits will continue to be rejected.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 11:39:45 am by dhaabi »

ferraroso

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 09:52:47 pm »
I wonder what should we do when the admins reject our edits based on wrong information...

For example, I recently tried to rename this entry from "Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Kemono-Oh" to "Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Juu-Oh".
https://vgcollect.com/item/155432

However, the change was rejected because GameFaqs has the game registered as follows:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/565558-jissen-pachi-slot-hisshouhou-kemono-oh/data

The point is, GameFaqs is wrong as "獣王" is read "じゅうおう/ジュウオウ" (juu-ou/jyuu-ou/jū-ou/jyū-ou/juu-oh/jyuu-oh/jū-oh/jyū-oh/juu-ō/jyuu-ō/jū-ō/jyū-ō), never "けものおう/ケモノオウ" (kemono-ou/kemono-oh/kemono-ō).
This can be confirmed on the game's Wikipedia article as well:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8D%A3%E7%8E%8B

This happens quite often whenever I try fixing wrong Japanese titles and I'm never sure how to proceed or who to contact.
Maybe this topic has been addressed in the past, but I'd appreciate if someone could help me clarify the subject.

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 08:42:05 am »
I wonder what should we do when the admins reject our edits based on wrong information...

For example, I recently tried to rename this entry from "Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Kemono-Oh" to "Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Juu-Oh".
https://vgcollect.com/item/155432

Like any other rejected edit, members can ask for more feedback or provide further clarification in the dedicated Rejected Edits topic.

When I rejected your name edit submission for 155432, I was aware of it being titled incorrectly. However, there is a common name rule practice that we must abide to. Even though our source titles the item incorrectly, there have been zero issues reported for members being able to locate the specific entry, which means there is no reason to make an exception to the rule. That is especially so because this issue affects only one specific item.

Unless the source name changes, we should not change 155432's name. I have dealt with the same issue before such as with Katamari Damacy which is even on a franchise scale, meaning the problem affects multiple items. For Japanese items, the correct name should be Katamari Damashii, but the issue hasn't caused problems for anyone besides those who simply want the entry name to reflect the correct name (i.e. me.)

If you are wanting the correct reading to be present in some regard, Juu-Oh may be submitted to the Alt-name field.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:38:33 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 09:55:49 am »
We may want to consider amending the common name policy to make it so we can correct obvious (or not obvious) errors that exist on the common name source. We may be well enough on our own by now that we can make our own decisions.