Author Topic: Which games do you value higher than $100?  (Read 1476 times)

dhaabi

Which games do you value higher than $100?
« on: March 06, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »
We all know about gaming having gone up in value to high dollar amounts, including even some low- and mid-quality games. It seems as if nearly every other title for certain older systems reach $100 USD or more. For many of those titles, the current market value is certainly not justified for the item's actual content. In the past decade or so alone, games like Minecraft, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto V, The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, and Elden Ring have released not only to critical acclaim with an abundance of content, replayability, and sometimes even moddability, but at affordable pricing too. There are even certain games that adopt the free-to-play model such as Fortnite that remain fresh years later with the upfront cost of free. At the same time, even if a game's amount of content may not be in overabundance, its lasting impressions can be monumental to us.

So, I present you all this question: which games would be worth paying a high dollar amount such as $100 USD? Higher?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:17:08 am by dhaabi »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Which games would you be willing to pay $100 to own?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 07:29:58 pm »
I'm pretty much at that point where if it's not a modern game, I'm probably paying a lot. I just set aside money until I have enough.

Recently paid a bit for Punisher and Thunderforce III on Genesis.

Next high-priced item I've got my eye on is Albert Odyssey for Saturn. Will be focusing a lot on my Saturn and TurboGrafx-16 games in the future (and the going will be slow considering prices).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:50:31 pm by burningdoom »

telekill

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 09:05:49 pm »
A single game? Probably none. Not anymore. Maybe if there was a great collectors edition for an Uncharted 5 or the next Mass Effect, but not a game by itself.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 09:22:18 pm »
Games I own? MarvelVsCapcom2 for either PS2 or Dreamcast is worth it to me. Maybe my last of us ellie edition.

Most games over 100 are niche which is why there are scarce. Most I don't desire. I'm in the over 55 and miss me with that jive crowd. 

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 05:08:39 am »
We all know about gaming having gone up in value to high dollar amounts, including even some low- and mid-quality games. It seems as if nearly every other title for certain older systems reach $100 USD or more. For many of those titles, the current market value is certainly not justified for the item's actual content. In the past decade or so alone, games like Minecraft, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto V, The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, and Elden Ring have released not only to critical acclaim with an abundance of content, replayability, and sometimes even moddability, but at affordable pricing too. There are even certain games that adopt the free-to-play model such as Fortnite that remain fresh years later with the upfront cost of free.

So, I present you all this question: which currently affordable games would be worth paying a high dollar amount such as $100 USD? $200 USD? Higher?

By affordable I assume you mean current and last gen games or old games that are pretty cheap and common today?
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 05:21:57 am »
After a few years of collecting, I already own a handful of games that I payed more than 100,- € for ... for example "Street Gangs" (River City Ransom) for NES CIB, or "Legend of Dragoon" for PAL PSX.
Modern Games? Dunno, I would tend to say "Skyrim" for it being a Behemoth of a game regarding size and possible playtime. Generally any huge open-world like game if it's worth playing it for more than 300 hrs ^^ in any other case: NEVER EVER :D
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:45 am »
I'd probably have to adjust my spending habits in general, but yeah, I think I could see myself paying $100 for some of the more unique and content heavy games that are available  - GTA, the new Zeldas, Elden Ring, etc.  But I'd also probably not buy as many cheaper games.

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 09:54:50 am »
By affordable I assume you mean current and last gen games or old games that are pretty cheap and common today?

"Affordable" is certainly subjective, but, given the topic, I suppose it would mean anything below $100 USD. So yes, that would also include older games which are cheap and common. Two older examples I would personally argue for could be something like Persona 4 or Animal Crossing.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 10:58:11 am »
What modern games would I pay $100+ for? Absolutely none. Call me a cheapskate, but I've rarely thought many games were worth $60 in terms of what I get out of them. I tend not to look for excuses to play the same thing for weeks or months at a time. When I was a child I did so, because I couldn't just simply afford more games all the time as in 1997, $50 WAS the equivalent of spending $95 today.

I only pay full price on a game when I want to support the developer of something new that I like, not that I think it's actually worth my $70, I just want their product to be a success so I do it anyway. $100? I don't think I'd buy a single new game. Ironically, there's probably more than few retro games that I certainly would pay $100 for.... both for the curiosity and desire to own a copy, and others purely for nostalgic purposes.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 11:00:34 am »
I honestly can't think of anything.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 07:48:57 pm »
I could see myself paying $100 for a physical version of something like Mario Kart or Smash Bros. Ultimate if all the DLC was included  8) (Which is cheaper than what I spent for those games +DLC)
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

conduit

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 09:46:07 pm »
No modern game is, or will be, worth $100 in my eyes. I've outgrown buying the most expensive physical version/release of a modern game I care enough about. I eventually regret owning whatever physical extras come with it, if there were any at all. In hindsight, I realized the game and inserts are what I valued the most, not the superficial stuff beyond that. Digital extras don't offer enough value, in my case, to justify paying $100+. With how inexpensive digital games are, I'm perfectly fine waiting for a sale/complete edition and swooping them up for cheap. My digital library is fairly large because of this, so I seldom buy modern games to begin with. When I do none of them come close to a $100 price tag.

Retro games are the complete opposite. Depending on the game I'm comfortable paying for whatever the market dictates. I aim for complete copies so getting anything relatively cheap is rare. Again, a little patience will procure a good deal every now and then, just not as frequently as digital sales. Games going $300 or more I typically avoid unless I can sell other games or find other means to offset the cost. Anything below that is fair game.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 04:22:53 am »
I can barely justify paying more than $60, let alone $100 for a game.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 05:00:09 am »
With dlc being a thing allot folks spend over 100$ a game these days. or at least close to it.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

Re: Which games do you value higher than $100?
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2023, 09:29:14 am »
I'm genuinely surprised by the consensus of replies so far. In hindsight, I should have clarified further by what exactly I was trying to get across when presenting the topic. I've slightly tweaked the OP.

Would I pay $100 for games? Yes, but only for very few. Looking back at some experiences I've had, I can confidently say that my time playing some games was certainly worth a higher value than what I paid. For instance, I purchased Persona 5 Royal for only $40. Knowing what I do now of its amount of quality content offered alongside the fun I had while playing, I would gladly spend $100 on it. It's such an easy "yes" answer for me because I can even see myself playing this game again later on in life.

Like I mentioned, not every game is an experience worth a high price tag. And I'm questioning how certain some responses are in saying no modern game is worth that kind of price (although, again, I did not convey my question well originally.) Yes, sales exist. Of course it is possible to obtain games at a discounted price, and it is even easy to secure many games for free through other means. But I am fully confident that everyone here has played at least one title that they know is valued to them at a higher price. And that is the question I was originally trying to get at.

Maybe some of your fondest memories from long ago are from creating a hand-drawn map of the game's overworld screen by screen, such as with titles like The Legend of Zelda or Dragon Warrior. Or LAN parties playing Quake and other first-person multiplayer games of the time? Visiting arcades to play Street Fighter II at every possible chance? Having a group of friends spend the night to play Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros., and Goldeneye 007? Experiencing some of 3D's earliest classics such as Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII? Becoming so invested in massive online games such as World of Warcraft?

Or, maybe some highlight memories relate to more modern games. Playing through the narrative-rich The Last of Us and witnessing a beautiful father-daughter relationship unfold in the most hopeless of times? Reliving the moment of time when so many—traditional gamer or not—seemed connected through Pokémon Go during its peak? Overcoming through so many trial-and-error attempts at besting Cuphead? Are these "absolutely no" responses considering instances and memories like these? That no game has left the impression that it's valued at $100 to them personally?

When factoring in how quality-dense some games are such as the ones above in my OP, it's such a clear opinion of mine that I would certainly pay a higher price tag for some games I've played. This is even disregarding the impact some games have had on me which helped mold who I am today that I experienced much earlier in life, whether the amount of content (or, at times, even its quality of content) was high or not.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:20:14 am by dhaabi »