Author Topic: Which games do you value higher than $100?  (Read 1510 times)

brothertuc

Re: Which games do you value higher than $100?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2023, 11:09:15 am »
All GameCube games  ::)

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2023, 01:38:35 pm »
I think a better way of phrasing this question could have been "If the only way you could ever play any game again, was to pay $100 for it. What games would you spend that money on?" Which is more or less the same as asking... what are your all time favorite games?

I'd maybe spend the money on some of my childhood favorites, if I were forced to pay that to ever play them again. That's about it.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2023, 02:34:04 pm »
None.  As an example.  I'm super interested in God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, and Zelda TotK... but I'm not paying $70.  I know that I would dump over 200 hours into TotK if it's anything like BotW.  But I'm still not paying $70 for just the game.  CE, yeah, I'll pay the $130 for the CE because it's a CE and it's Zelda, but that's not the game that's selling me, it's the CE.  So to value a game and say "Yeah, I'd pay $100" no, never.  Stuff like Rule of Rose, you're not paying $100 because you think oh man, this game is good and it's worth $100, you're paying it because it's rare and collectible, and in theory if you wanted to sell it, it would probably hold value.  And if I understand the question correctly, my answer is no.

The closest thing would be something like Elden Ring, that game is my GOAT, that said, I spent over probably over $400 on that game, I bought Xbox standard, Xbox CE, and 2 steam copies... and I'll probably buy at least one PS4/PS5 copy at some point.  I've dumped hundreds upon hundreds of hours into that game, but the amount of money I spent wasn't on a single copy, it was on multiple copies so I could play with my wife.  So if spending $100 on two copies counts, then sure, but $100 per copy?  I wouldn't pay it. 

The trouble is that even if a game ticks all the boxes, I could find 100 other games that tick some boxes and not even spend $100.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2023, 03:14:04 pm »
I have never seen a game collecting group that gripes about money so much.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 06:24:31 pm »
let me see I think I have got at least 100 dollars worth of value by playing these games and would find them worthy of a 100$ price tag.Cause I have played them a ton.

Shinning Force 1&2
Culdacept
Brigandine
Fallout 3&4
Oblivion
Just Cause
Disgaea 1,4&5
Final Fantasy 2,3&10

I hppe this is what you mean

I am surprised by my answers cause almost none of these games are sought after or valuable with the exception of Brigandine or FF2,3 lol.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 06:34:19 pm by wartoy »

dhaabi

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 07:07:00 pm »
Which is more or less the same as asking... what are your all time favorite games?

The questions aren't the same. Personally, some of my favorite games are short experiences that can be fully played in a handful of hours. I wouldn't value them at $100, though, nor would I pay that much to be able to play them.

I have never seen a game collecting group that gripes about money so much.

The majority of responses posted are not what I was expecting. I suppose most members here simply don't find a higher value in some gaming experiences they have, even for their absolute favorites?

let me see I think I have got at least 100 dollars worth of value by playing these games and would find them worthy of a 100$ price tag.Cause I have played them a ton.

Final Fantasy 2

I hppe this is what you mean

How you interpreted my question is exactly what I was asking. I'm interested that Final Fantasy II of all of the franchise entries was something you consider that valuable. Any reason in particular? You must have some fond memories for it.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 07:27:30 pm »
2d fighting games like street fighter alpha 2, smash bros, marvel vs capcom 2 those I would value over 100$

If I where stuck on an island with only 1 of these games I'll survive, since the replay value is endless thanks to online multiplayer.

I invest the most time in 2d fighting games.

Games like mario kart, mario strikers, advance wars would also qualify.

I would however still also value my absolute favourites over 100$ eventhough the replay value ain't endless or even short. Primarily because they do remind me of good times which are worth allot more than a measly 100$.

But again this is in a scenario that I wouldn't own said games otherwise and if we would be living in a society that these games would be sold for over 100$ retail, Naturally with the current market and you already owning said items you'd be less inclined to spend such amounts of money. Let alone double dip on the same product there is no reason to.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 07:42:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 07:40:10 pm »
Yes it is the first game of it's type that made me love rpgs and I played it alot.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 02:12:37 pm »

The majority of responses posted are not what I was expecting. I suppose most members here simply don't find a higher value in some gaming experiences they have, even for their absolute favorites?

I think it's more that it's not easy to convert intrinsic value to monetary value. I can't look at a purchase and think "this is worth X happiness" or look at something in my collection and think "this was worth $X of joy".
My big problem is that I've got rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to justifying purchases for myself as the price rises, and $100 is a major gatekeeper. Outside of the game consoles themselves, the times I've spent more than $100 on a singular thing for any of my hobbies/collections could likely be counted on one hand. I've got tons of games in my collection where I've spent 100+ hours on, but even with hindsight, I don't think I would've given them the time of day if that price tag blocked my way and I couldn't use alternative methods like piracy or services like Game Pass to play them.

dhaabi

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 04:48:30 pm »

I think it's more that it's not easy to convert intrinsic value to monetary value. I can't look at a purchase and think "this is worth X happiness" or look at something in my collection and think "this was worth $X of joy".
My big problem is that I've got rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to justifying purchases for myself as the price rises, and $100 is a major gatekeeper. Outside of the game consoles themselves, the times I've spent more than $100 on a singular thing for any of my hobbies/collections could likely be counted on one hand. I've got tons of games in my collection where I've spent 100+ hours on, but even with hindsight, I don't think I would've given them the time of day if that price tag blocked my way and I couldn't use alternative methods like piracy or services like Game Pass to play them.

While I agree with that idea, I don't think the issue of there being difficulty to proclaim some thing has intrinsic value or not is being observed here. While it may be difficult to think, "this is worth X happiness" like you mentioned, we make these conclusions every day all throughout life, even when purchasing a game. When we consider setting aside funds for a certain activity such as vacationing away from home, we determine if that trip is worth the monetary value while supplying us an equal intrinsic value. This principle can even be figured by way of if something is worth our time. Or, it can be on a much ordinary level such as if someone finds the value in purchasing their preferred brand of food that's better-tasting as opposed to a generic brand which is not as flavorful. The generic brand will certainly meet our needs, but we will decide if something is worth spending more on a case-by-case basis. Like I said before, obviously I do not find every game to have a high value. But I do for some.

Instead, many responses here seem firm in that they don't see a higher value for games. That is fine, of course—I was just a little surprised, is all. Something I will note, however, is that I am confident that there are some who've replied "none" to the question at-hand who purchased games long ago at a $60 retail value. Accounting for inflation, $60 in the year 2005 (the year I believe most games started retailing at $60) equates to over $91. So, in the past, the rough equivalent of today's $100 was presumably a fine price but isn't anymore.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:00:20 pm by dhaabi »

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 06:03:14 pm »
I think the question at hand should be rephrased to.

Which games would you buy back at over 100$ if you where in a specific scenario.

For example.

You would lose all your favourite/ most played games. you cannot play them anymore and if you are to go somewhere else they are also sold at these 100 + $ prices. which games would you buy back at over 100$ or would you just simply move on and play lesser games at normal prices.

You gotto put people into a situation in which they would need to spend that amount of money than you can see if folks really would think that a game is worth said amount for the gameplay etc.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2023, 08:29:33 am »

While I agree with that idea, I don't think the issue of there being difficulty to proclaim some thing has intrinsic value or not is being observed here. While it may be difficult to think, "this is worth X happiness" like you mentioned, we make these conclusions every day all throughout life, even when purchasing a game. When we consider setting aside funds for a certain activity such as vacationing away from home, we determine if that trip is worth the monetary value while supplying us an equal intrinsic value. This principle can even be figured by way of if something is worth our time. Or, it can be on a much ordinary level such as if someone finds the value in purchasing their preferred brand of food that's better-tasting as opposed to a generic brand which is not as flavorful. The generic brand will certainly meet our needs, but we will decide if something is worth spending more on a case-by-case basis. Like I said before, obviously I do not find every game to have a high value. But I do for some.

Instead, many responses here seem firm in that they don't see a higher value for games. That is fine, of course—I was just a little surprised, is all. Something I will note, however, is that I am confident that there are some who've replied "none" to the question at-hand who purchased games long ago at a $60 retail value. Accounting for inflation, $60 in the year 2005 (the year I believe most games started retailing at $60) equates to over $91. So, in the past, the rough equivalent of today's $100 was presumably a fine price but isn't anymore.

I agree with emporer's statement.

I don't really feel like the inflation thing can be considered a valid argument, you can't really take future inflation into account when purchasing stuff and hindsight is 20/20.

gummo

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 05:03:16 pm »
I recently paid $100 and change (tax and shipping included) to get a nice complete in box Gunpey Ex for the WonderSwan Color . I have just always regretted not buying it when WS prices were low and knew that If I didn't buy it soon it'd be totally out of the question . Very happy to own it , no regrets .

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2023, 10:22:41 pm »
Games that has a huge emotional impact for me and high replay value definitely have more than $100 value in my mind, regardless of what the market or msrp suggests. Some personal examples I'd make are what I consider groundbreaking or revolutionary titles I experienced at the time they released when the state of gaming and the world and my age (culture/politics/demographics), can never be replicated. Playstation examples, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken series (but Tekken 3 specifically)....this list goes on. Experiencing these in their heyday, pre-internet era, and trying to get to the details and secrets, really became engrossing. Also hard to find that kind of time for games as an adult, but the internet has us spoiled along with the instant gratification and hand holding in games, that don't satisfy the desire for challenges and surprises. Harder to up the ante and find the same emotion as the medium evolves more slowly and we get older. Gaming hasn't lost the wow, but it certainly begs the question. How to impress. I'd rather drop more money on the older "inferior" games, due to this intangible, sort of factor, where the games needs to be judged based on those contextual factors I mentioned earlier.
PSX LEGACY

A Physical Chronicle of games for posterity.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 01:19:15 pm »
I read the question as follows: games where I got 100 dolars of value out of.
Probably: Runescape, Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty MW3, Call of Duty MW2, maybe Warzone.
Not a whole lot actually, mostly games I would play with my friends.
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]