Author Topic: Playstation Showcase - Summer Game Fest  (Read 1916 times)

telekill

Playstation Showcase - Summer Game Fest
« on: May 14, 2023, 10:56:22 am »
Updated this thread to include the Playstation showcase set for Wed the 24th. I expect much to be shown. Rumors are already swirling. Now the question is... what do they have up their sleeves? Mortal Kombat 1 was already announced, so that's not going to be a surprise there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer Game Gest is coming upon us and seems to have officially replaced E3. Gone are the days of live shows that fans could attend and try their hands at new software and upcoming hardware. Gone are the days of free gaming swag, the geeking out among peers, and the booth babes. Now... we have only digital events that feel cold and hollow but at least we can still get some interesting announcements... assuming the industry pulls out of a nose dive.

You can check out the schedule on their site but I'll post the main times below the link:

https://www.summergamefest.com/

June 8th -
3pm ET - Main showcase
5pm ET - Indie Dev showcase

June 11th -
1pm ET - Xbox showcase / Starfield Direct after

June 12th -
1pm ET - Ubisoft showcase

I assume more times will be added as we get closer given all the publishers/developers that will be attending:

Seeing some pretty big possibilities that could come to this show, but honestly, my expectations are still really low given the last few years of what the industry has had to offer. What's possible though? What would be my dream announcements that would shoot a spark of excitement up my spine?

- Uncharted continuation (Playstation will be present)
 - Tomb Raider (Amazon will be present)
 - Indiana Jones (Microsoft will be present)
 - Mass Effect 5 (EA will be present)
 - Shenmue 4 (Sega will be present)
 - Dino Crisis reboot (Capcom will be present)

Now... do I expect any of the above to be shown? It's surely possible, but no. I have zero expectations for this show. And to point out the big name not present, at least for now, I didn't see Nintendo's logo. I expect they'll have their own direct separate from this and the one thing I really want from them at this point... Zelda Twilight Princess HD on Switch. That's truly the only I would care to see from them.

So what are your expectations and hopes? Anything that you're hoping finally gets announced or that you'll see an update on?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 09:40:50 am by telekill »

Re: Summer Game Fest -- June 8th
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 03:44:19 pm »
I don't really have any expectations or predictions, just hope to see some cool new games.

I thought Geoff mentioned having an in-person aspect to Summer Game Fest this year?

If rumors are to be believed it seems like Sony is finally set to have a showing for their own games sometime in the next week or two.

What I want from Ubisoft are actual releases of both XDefiant and The Division Heartland.

Re: Summer Game Fest -- June 8th
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 02:35:33 am »
I'm guessing the Mortal Kombat reveal could be at this event since it's Geoff's show and the Game Awards was where the last one was revealed, so that's something.  At this point, there's not much I can anticipate or hope for, I feel like with Capcom I'd like to see something like a Dino Crisis reboot, or most likely would be something showing off the Resident Evil 4 Remake DLC.  A Mega Man Legends Collection with some QoL updates would be great (Controls and such).

Otherwise I'm just hoping to be surprised, if I can get one dope new surprise game to excite me, that's all I ask for.  If I had to go for like...Hail Mary hope, it would be a brand new Banjo-Kazooie, I feel like that's the only thing Xbox could do to get me interested in what they have to offer.

telekill

Re: Playstation Showcase - Summer Game Fest
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 09:41:26 am »
MK1 announced and Playstation showcase announced for next Wed, the 24th. Fingers crossed for something good.

soera

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 12:11:42 pm »
In my personal world, this would be the show -

60 minute show.
First 10 minutes of basic new stuff that is ehhh.
Next 10 minutes is FFXVI.
Followed by FFVII Remake.
Stellar Blade.
MK1 with a showing of Johnny Cage and (hopefully) Kano.
Granblue Fantasy ReLink gameplay and release window.

Close out with a new game that hasn't been mentioned before.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 01:49:09 pm »
Just remembered the game Convallaria that Sony is publishing. It'd be nice to see that be ready for release and hopefully for free since it seems like that type of game. A second look at Wolverine would be cool too.

An announcement of the June PS Plus Essential lineup would be nice if they have something big. I'm not sure what it could be though because a lot of their titles lately seem like they wouldn't want to give up sales like Spider-Man (the remaster of the first game is finally getting a standalone release), Miles Morales has the new movie releasing so that is likely to boost sales of the game, The Last of Us is a huge show now so giving out the second game for free would be silly and both Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding have PS5 releases with additional content. So maybe the remake of Demon's Souls?

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 03:53:31 pm »
Well my previous post was before the actual MK1 reveal, but I still think MK will be at the Playstation show with proper gameplay.  A far left field reveal for me at this show would be Capcom doing Monster Hunter World 2, like that's abit of a longshot, but after not really getting into Rise as much as I wanted, I'm so eager for a World 2 announcement.  Final Fantasy VII Rebirth stuff would also be awesome as I'm looking forward to FF16, but I sorta feel like they'll hold off on FF7 Rebirth for this show. 

And of course, as always, give me Bloodborne.  At this point I feel it would be a remake or remaster if they put it out, so they can have it available on PC too, but just give it to me, I need it.

jason

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 03:39:11 pm »

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 04:28:24 pm »
The first half didn't do anything for me really, but that midpoint reveal of Metal Gear Solid 3 getting a remake along with a MGS1, 2, and 3 collection is definitely what I wanted to see, so that's great.  Dragon's Dogma 2 gameplay was kinda neat, but I never got too far into the first game, so I'm not big on the sequel in particular.

Also just realized that the MGS collection is "Volume 1", so they are finally doing what I wanted and putting the games back out in a collection, so likely going to get the handheld stuff and then MGS4, meaning I can replay the mainline games very easily.

And ending on the one game I was expecting, Spider-Man 2.  Looks great, gonna be a ton of fun.  The showcase didn't do a lot for me in particular, it was mostly just Metal Gear and Spider-Man 2.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 05:05:23 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 05:14:29 pm »
Haven's Fairgame is literally Creative Assembly's Hyenas with a bit of Watch Dogs 2.

Helldivers 2 would've been cooler if it looked like the start of the trailer. I like that it isn't top down.

Sword of the Sea seems to just be a mix of what they've done previously.

How does Cat Quest 3 have enough clout to be here or even at a normal State of Play?

Foamstars looks awesome!!! (Please be free.)

I think I'm officially interested in The Plucky Squire even though it's annoying it's not on PS4 but is on Switch..

Teardown is kind of interesting but the voxel look isn't.

Dang, I was really interested in the Metal Gear Solid trailer until it turned into Metal Gear Solid.

Towers of Aghasba looks like if Tears of the Kingdom was good.

Assassin's Creed Mirage is so Assassin's Creed. I realize that's the point of this game in particular but it's funny how hard they drive that point home.

Revenant Hill has the same cat design as Night in the Woods and same publisher. Weird.

Wow a dedicated Remote Play device!! Who cares?

Spider-Man 2 secretly a movie tie-in game with the Kraven the Hunter movie supposed to release this October. Looks very cool.

This was supposed to give us a look at Sony IP and what we got on the front was Spider-Man 2, a carbon copy of Hyenas, a sequel to a game that only resonated on PC and a generic space game called Concord that showed nothing and is day and date with PC. Bungie's Marathon I guess too but I believe they said their games will remain multiplatform and they aren't technically a PlayStation studio. This was just a long State of Play. The best game Foamstars is on PS4. Where are the reasons to buy a PS5 for people like me still on the fence? Xbox must be feeling great going into their show.

Awful showing.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 05:28:07 pm »
Xbox must be feeling great going into their show.

Xbox is hardly in a great spot here, especially after the Redfall disaster.  I also want them to have a great showing, but other than like Starfield, what else is there to be even that interested in? I'm also not very hype for the game, so they do have to do a lot to get me excited at their show.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 05:39:56 pm »
Honestly, wasn't that much of interest for me, the main event was Metal Gear Solid's Master Collection! I don't care either way for a Remake of MGS3 - Like most remakes I feel it as an indulgence. However, with the release of the Master Collection, I can play the original ported and upscaled for modern displays - Which is ALL I WANT!!! I keep saying this, give me an upscaled port with widescreen support, I don't need a Triple-A developed remake. I wish other Remakes offered the original in a HD Collection like this - Hopefully Silent Hill can follow by this example! Oh and as soon as i saw The Ends Parrot I knew what it was!

I didn't watch the Final Fantasy XVI trailer as I've already Pre-ordered and don't want any spoilers.

Spider-Man 2 looks decent, I played the other 2 games recently which I did enjoy but I'm not the biggest Comicbook fan so I'll be holding off.

Overall pretty underwhelming maybe other stuff will appear in the Summer Games Fest later.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:24:23 pm by vivigamer »

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 05:55:33 pm »
Xbox must be feeling great going into their show.

Xbox is hardly in a great spot here, especially after the Redfall disaster.  I also want them to have a great showing, but other than like Starfield, what else is there to be even that interested in? I'm also not very hype for the game, so they do have to do a lot to get me excited at their show.
Sony just lowered the bar so low for them that it shouldn't be hard to surpass this.

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 06:06:57 pm »
Phantom Blade 0 looks good. Although, it seems like we have a lot of type of these kinds of games, and it's not something I'd likely play.

Sword of the Sea may be okay. But from what was shown, it looks like a combination of Journey and Abzû.

I'll definitely be picking up Neva, another emotional game from the creators of Gris.

Foamstars seems okay, but if I want to play anything like this, Splatoon already exists. It could bring a nice change to that type of gameplay, though.

The Plucky Squire continues to impress me with new trailers.

I'll also be getting Revenant Hill, from the creators of Night in the Woods. Not much was shown, so I'm curious if it's in the same world as its predecessor.

I've not played any other games in its series, but Dragon's Dogma looks good. It's more than likely not a game I'd play, though.

I feel as if I'll never need to watch anything related to Spider-Man again.

I think I'm officially interested in The Plucky Squire even though it's annoying it's not on PS4 but is on Switch..

Dang, I was really interested in the Metal Gear Solid trailer until it turned into Metal Gear Solid.

Good thing you own a Switch.

Definitely agree.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 06:08:39 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 07:36:10 pm »
Sony just lowered the bar so low for them that it shouldn't be hard to surpass this.

This is is Xbox, they've not been doing super great really.  They have stuff in the wings with the companies they've been buying and such, but we are only just getting to that point still.  We'll see though, I don't want any company to do bad, or flop, more games I like is great (A part of me is hoping to see Banjo-Kazooie return some day), but unless they got some bangers lined up that is more than just Starfield, they could kinda suffer the same fate of the Sony showcase.