Author Topic: Diamond Trust of London (Game related, not spam!!)  (Read 7772 times)

amauriel

Diamond Trust of London (Game related, not spam!!)
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:16:35 pm »
I don't know if anyone knows about this game, so I figured I'd give you all a heads up. Years ago, a game was being developed for the DS by indie developer Jason Rohrer. Majesco was supposed to publish it, but things sometimes happen. So now, there's a Kickstarter for the game.

What's weird about this one is that the game has already been approved by Nintendo. It's ready. He's just trying to make sure that there's enough interest in the game to warrant the minimum printing requirements from Nintendo. So there's an indie DS game with the Nintendo Seal of Approval and ESRB rated on Kickstarter, basically.

Add to this that Kickstarter seems to be fueled on rewards, and there's going to be 1000 limited edition release copies of this game, then the standard ones. I don't back games very often (Tim Schafer/Double Fine was my only one till today), but as a DS collector, I figure that this might become one of those rare gems for the system in 20 years. Also, the game is a simultaneous interactive board game about a diamond trade, so it sounds pretty fun.

The listing is here, if anyone is interested: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1443658586/diamond-trust-of-london
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:27:06 pm by amauriel »
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

Re: Diamond Trust of London
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:49:00 pm »
I thought this was spam when I first clicked it
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:12 pm »
Reading the topic title I thought this was a spam topic >_<

I'll have to look into that when I get back from work, but I don't think it's something I'll be backing. I'm getting less willing to back stuff on Kickstarter for some reason.

darko

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
So, what happens if I back it and they don't meet their minimum requirements?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »
HaHaHa...I also thought it Spam from the title XD
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:01:16 pm »
While I would like an answer to my previous question...I went ahead and backed it. I'll take a 1 of 1000 limited print.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »
So, what happens if I back it and they don't meet their minimum requirements?
Nothing.

If the game doesn't reach enough backers, they simply don't charge you. If they do get enough backers then you'll be charged once the kickstarter ends.

darko

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »
Sweet, I assumed as much but wanted to make sure!

Thanks for the reassurance!

amauriel

Re: Diamond Trust of London (Game related, not spam!!)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »
I never even thought about this being a spam title, haha. I added a (game related, not spam) to it, see if that helps.

And I did the 1 Limited Edition, 1 Standard Edition version...that way I get one of each, and the music seems fun, so Ronalopolis and I can each be playing it with our own copies.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
I never even thought about this being a spam title, haha. I added a (game related, not spam) to it, see if that helps.

That just gives the false sense of security of not being spam!  ;D
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:03:41 pm »
Im considering it myself. Thread has been up on Nintendo Age for 3 days now and I keep reclicking it thinking of buying.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »
I saw this project for the first time today before seeing that you posted it on the forum!  I thought about it for collector's reasons, and then thought I'd think about it some more.

But having someone else mention it certainly makes me want to back it now...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »
Like I said, I keep going back and forth ... my biggest issue is dropping $55 on something I may or may not like ... And who knows what the collectability of the game will be?

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »
Like I said, I keep going back and forth ... my biggest issue is dropping $55 on something I may or may not like ... And who knows what the collectability of the game will be?

It's a valid concern.  Well, you can always go back and change your pledge to a lesser amount or cancel it completely before the campaign ends.  Or you can PM either me or Amauriel or Amauriel's husband with a tearful plea to sell you a copy a few months from now ;)

Seriously, though, yeah, that's always the risk for Kickstarter.  I'd say just back it if you would want to support the game whether you got a reward or not.

The perks are nice for these Kickstarter campaigns (if the succeed), but it's really just about putting down your money to help some hardworking folk achieve their goal.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »
Well, hell, I went ahead and got one. If nothing else, Im sure I can resell it later if I decide to change my mind.