Author Topic: New genre suggestions  (Read 851 times)

empovyle

New genre suggestions
« on: May 27, 2023, 10:18:37 am »
Here are some genre suggestions I found that could fit well into the existing genre field. They are slightly more specific than what we have right now, similar to the FPS and TPS/Action-RPG, etc options that were added a few years ago.
  • RTS (Real-time strategy)
  • MOBA (Multiplayer online battle arena)
  • Card game
  • Battle royale
  • 2D Platformer/3D Platformer
  • 2D Fighting/3D Fighting
  • Sandbox (For games like Minecraft, Terraria, etc)
  • Turn-based Strategy
  • Hack and Slash (this one is the least necessary, imo. Most hack and slashes would fit as one of the action genres.)
  • Virtual Life (for games like The Sims, Animal Crossing, etc.)
Possibly some others, will edit this post when I come across them while making new entries.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:19:02 am by empovyle »

dhaabi

Re: New genre suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 01:22:41 pm »
From Wikipedia's overview list of video game genres, there is a wide pool of very specific sub-genres. I counted 81 on this page alone, but specific genre pages list even more. It may just be best to keep things fairly broad. Just under the Strategy section alone, eleven sub-genres are listed. I think many would be fine with settling on just Strategy and not complicate it further by adding options like 4X and Tower Defense.

You mentioned Third-person shooter being added as a choice some time ago. I think the same could be done for the existing Platformer option. The difference between 2D and 3D platformers is not only large, but also obvious, which means subjectivity isn't an issue. On that note, subjectivity is one of the biggest issues I personally will argue against having so many Genre options. We should be focusing more on objective information instead of the opposite, but this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Sandbox (For games like Minecraft, Terraria, etc)

This is a descriptor of level design and not an actual genre. It's similar to the Arcade "genre" that is currently an available field option (which should be removed, in addition to the vague and incredibly subjective Classic option.) Games like Minecraft and Terraria are generally regarded as action-adventure.

empovyle

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 01:39:58 pm »
You mentioned Third-person shooter being added as a choice some time ago. I think the same could be done for the existing Platformer option. The difference between 2D and 3D platformers is not only large, but also obvious, which means subjectivity isn't an issue.

The only issue I can see happening with this is for games that are a blend of 2D and 3D like Klonoa aka 2.5D games. I suppose the default "platformer" genre tag would have to stay for these exceptions and to prevent erroneously changing all labels for games already submitted with that tag.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 02:15:16 pm »
You mentioned Third-person shooter being added as a choice some time ago. I think the same could be done for the existing Platformer option. The difference between 2D and 3D platformers is not only large, but also obvious, which means subjectivity isn't an issue.

The only issue I can see happening with this is for games that are a blend of 2D and 3D like Klonoa aka 2.5D games. I suppose the default "platformer" genre tag would have to stay for these exceptions and to prevent erroneously changing all labels for games already submitted with that tag.

If the Platformer option were further specified to 2D and 3D, there would be no need for the nondescript option nor a 2.5D option. 2.5D games consist of 2D gameplay across what appears to be a 3D plane. With that said, genre relates to gameplay, not appearance, so games like Klonoa would be correct to list as 2D platformer for their genre.

62gaming

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 12:08:16 am »

If the Platformer option were further specified to 2D and 3D, there would be no need for the nondescript option nor a 2.5D option. 2.5D games consist of 2D gameplay across what appears to be a 3D plane. With that said, genre relates to gameplay, not appearance, so games like Klonoa would be correct to list as 2D platformer for their genre.

Is there ever any consideration to add "Compilation" as a genre? Or do you feel that "Other" is good enough for cases where not all the games are the same genre?

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 09:22:04 am »
Is there ever any consideration to add "Compilation" as a genre? Or do you feel that "Other" is good enough for cases where not all the games are the same genre?

Compilation doesn't describe a game's genre. The term only alludes to the item having more than one sub-items comprised to it. For these kinds of entry items, I leave the Genre field blank because Other is not accurate either, as the correct options are available but only one may be selected. The only time I've ever found the need to select Other is for application-based items like Pokeler.

If there is ever an update made in the future that allows for multiple Genre options to be selected at once such as with some kind of tag system, that would be more ideal.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 03:55:14 pm »
Would really like some genres to be added. Some games just don't seem to fit all that well - eg. some games fit into the "action" genre but realistically its a very eh genre to place the item into. Nice to see a lot more changes like this being possible recently.

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 04:34:43 pm »
Would really like some genres to be added.

Such as?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 05:10:52 pm »
Would really like some genres to be added.

Such as?

What immediately comes to mind are separating some categories into sub-genres. Eg. Racing - Arcade Racers, Kart Racers and Simulation Racing. I do feel that Strategy would benefit from some level of separation - such as deck builder and tower Defense.  I can see the argument that adding too many would complicate listings, perhaps limiting it to only the most popular sub-genres?

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:26 am »
Compilation is something I think about but never add due to a design issue. The site was designed to track games, not items, but we track items. Compilation relates to an item and not to a game.

The only thing I have been thinking about doing is making multiple Sports genres, like Sports - Football, Sports - Hockey, etc.

For now I don't think being too granular about genres would be very helpful because you can't say, show all x genre in the DB, or in a category. If/when we can do that, then it would make sense to add all of the various genres.

But the other thing to consider is that some of the ones posted are not particularly genres per se. So in that case, if we were to add some, it would be better if multiple of them could be added to an entry.