Author Topic: Your Top Video Game Franchises  (Read 1183 times)

Your Top Video Game Franchises
« on: May 29, 2023, 03:17:53 pm »
What are your top 3, 5, or 10 video game franchises? I was thinking about this the other day and I was surprised to see that some of my favorite gaming franchises don't have a single entry in my top 10 games of all time. Still, I love these franchises and thought it would be fun to see everyone's picks.

Re: Your Top Video Game Franchises
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 03:30:31 pm »
Here are mine:

1. Shenmue
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Resident Evil
4. Mario
5. Street Fighter
6. Capcom Vs (ie, Marvel vs Capcom, Xmen vs Street Fighter)
7. The King of Fighters
8. Tekken
9. The Last of Us
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

telekill

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 03:54:22 pm »
1. Uncharted
2. Mass Effect
3. Resident Evil (OG-5)
4. Ninja Turtles (8-16 bit & S.R.)
5. Tomb Raider
6. Jurassic Park
7. Dino Crisis (PS1 games)
8. Shenmue
9. Sonic the Hedgehog (16 bit era and Mania)
10. Zelda

The list fluctuates occasionally, but Uncharted has been at the top since 2009.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 04:24:28 pm by telekill »

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 04:28:49 pm »
What exactly are we considering as "Franchises"? Like is it just more than one game or a certain length of time a series has been around?  I can probably work out enough of a list...

The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros
Banjo-Kazooie
Resident Evil
Battlefield
Fallout
Soulsborne (While Dark Souls is more of a proper series, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring are basically just variations of the same formula, so just counting them all.)

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 10:30:56 pm »
What exactly are we considering as "Franchises"? Like is it just more than one game or a certain length of time a series has been around?  I can probably work out enough of a list...

I think a franchise implies it's more than one game, but this isn't a rigidly defined definition. Franchise, series whatever. Just as long as it's not a single game, which would just make it your top games of all time, which there are already a ton of threads about. Probably one of this too, but hey, figured I'd add one more ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:02:36 am »
Elder Scrolls
Diablo
Quake
Borderlands
Sid Meier's Civilization
MVP Baseball

I can't really make an order.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 12:31:00 pm »
1: Mario
2: Castlevania
3: Goemon Mystical Ninja
4: old school fire emblem
5: Pokemon gen 5 and prior
6: advance wars
7: Dragon quest
8: king of fighters
9: zelda
10: contra
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 05:48:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 12:50:36 pm »

If I had considered just gen 6 and prior for Pokemon it would have made my top 10. But unfortunately the direction the series has taken since Gen 7 has really destroyed this franchise imo.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 02:46:20 pm »

If I had considered just gen 6 and prior for Pokemon it would have made my top 10. But unfortunately the direction the series has taken since Gen 7 has really destroyed this franchise imo.

absolutely hence why I said gen 5 and older. Especially the last few gens have been rough.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 04:05:48 pm »
No particular order

Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man
Mass Effect
Castlevania
Soulsborne
Resident Evil
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:42:11 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 04:33:18 pm »

I wanted to put Pokemon too, at least for like the original games and some other games here and there, bu for the same reason of I think the series is so bad now, I don't feel like really putting it in.  I enjoyed Arceus enough for what it was, but Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet are so crazy bad, it's really hurt the series for me. 

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 07:08:49 pm »
In no real particular order:

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Pokemon
Civilization
Star Wars: X-Wing
Super Smash Bros.
Dynasty Warriors
Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart
Advance Wars

I enjoyed Arceus enough for what it was, but Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet are so crazy bad, it's really hurt the series for me.

I'm more the opposite, where I'd put Scarlet/Violet near the top if I'm ranking Pokemon gens. While the games were janky at times, I enjoyed the story, characters, open world, and many of the new Pokemon. My main nitpick would be that I wished the game had better level-scaling as it could get too easy to overlevel and it would've fit the open-world aesthetic better if the gyms all got stronger as you progressed (e.g. Larry would have a stronger team if he were the 8th gym you faced than if he were the 5th). Sword and Shield however, I would agree with them being terrible and would rank them near the bottom.

megasilverx1

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 07:12:08 pm »
1. Dragon Quest
2. Mega Man
3. Mario
4. Jupiter's Picross games
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Sly Cooper
7. Little Tail Bronx
8. Pokemon (would've been much higher but I've fallen off the series heavily after gen VII)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog
10. StarFox
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 07:13:54 pm by megasilverx1 »

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 07:21:15 pm »
In no particular order:
- Animal Crossing
- Ape Escape
- The Dark Pictures Anthology
- Final Fantasy
- Katamari
- Kingdom Hearts
- Like a Dragon / Yakuza
- Rhythm Heaven
- Splatoon
- The Walking Dead: A Telltale Series

Although, I will say that I do think Katamari and Like a Dragon may be at the top of that list, but I still can't say which I'd place as my favorite.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 08:00:08 pm »
I'm more the opposite, where I'd put Scarlet/Violet near the top if I'm ranking Pokemon gens. While the games were janky at times, I enjoyed the story, characters, open world, and many of the new Pokemon. My main nitpick would be that I wished the game had better level-scaling as it could get too easy to overlevel and it would've fit the open-world aesthetic better if the gyms all got stronger as you progressed (e.g. Larry would have a stronger team if he were the 8th gym you faced than if he were the 5th). Sword and Shield however, I would agree with them being terrible and would rank them near the bottom.

That's wild to me to put it so high.  Not that I'm putting down something you enjoy, I would never do that, just from my point of view, with what I experienced, I found it to be kind of an embarrassing game for Game Freak to put out. Visuals, performance, game design, it's a top to bottom mess, especially for a game put out in 2022 from one of the biggest game franchises out there.  I'm not gonna rant about it here since it would just derail things and you've likely heard all the negative POV's on it, I just say it out of frustration for a series I wanted to get back into loving after dropping it back in the early Gen 1/Gen 2 days, and then most of what they've been putting out on Switch has either been middling or bad for me.  It's great you found enjoyment with the game though, as I was sorta hoping it could have like BOTW potential, proper open world Pokemon like always wanted, but never worked out that way unfortunately.