Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 6.21.2023 thoughts?  (Read 1480 times)

Nintendo Direct 6.21.2023 thoughts?
« on: June 21, 2023, 07:48:39 am »
Free to play game Palia looks interesting enough to try out.

Holy crap, the Detective Pikachu game for Switch that was just barely announced in 2019 is finally here.

HOLY CRAP??? Of all SNES games?? What so many thought couldn't happen due to rights issues.. the look of it is pretty unique too.

New Princess Peach game.

Dark Moon remaster.. eh.

Glow Pikmin look cool.

Pikmin (1) and Pikmin 2 coming to Switch, Pikmin 4 getting a demo next week.

Penny's Big Breakaway looks kinda good.

Mario Kart bathroom track! Petey Piranha and Wiggler return and Kamek. If Diddy Kong is somehow not in Wave 6 I swear...

A new WarioWare!? It looks way better than the last one!

Yep there's a new 2D Mario and with a new art style. Looks fine enough.

Quite an impressive showing from Nintendo when many started to think they wouldn't even have a Nintendo Direct this summer!!

Still no US release of the Brain Age game for Switch by the way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 10:43:15 am by weirdfeline »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo Direct 6.21.2023 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 09:31:22 am »
Along side the rumor of a new 2-D Mario there's also a rumor of a remake of a SNES game. I'm thinking either a Super Metroid remake done by Mercurysteam (the guys who made Dread) or maybe one of the Fire Emblem games.

No basis just having fun with a rumor

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 09:57:32 am »
The "rumors" have been failing fairly hard lately I feel, so I'm not going in with any big hopes.  I'd love a new Mario, specifically 3D, and also hope if they do a 2D one, it's a brand new style as I haven't liked 2D Mario in a long time.  Small stuff I'd like to see would be Twilight Princess and Wind Waker getting brought to Switch, or the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask brought to Switch would be cool too.  I guess a "hope" would be a new 2D Zelda, maybe a new third party one would be great.

Super Mario RPG getting a remake is pretty great and the visuals look great.  For a small moment, I had PTSD that they were gonna do something like Link's Awakening and I was gonna be super sad, but thankfully they are just doing basically an updated version of the old model style that they made sprites for.

And the new Mario game looked okay, nothing amazing, but more interesting than most anything they've done with "New" brand for years now.  Wish the show had more for me, but Super Mario RPG Remake is decent.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 10:44:30 am by kamikazekeeg »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 10:59:49 am »
mario rpg returning with Geno is insanity.

Also they did the unthinkable they made 2d Mario interesting again  :o

I'm shocked the new soup curse is broken. The dreamy direction in terms of art style and idea's look very nice.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 12:59:12 pm »
After playing Moving Out, I was interested in seeing Maniac Mechanics. Perhaps one day I'll play it.

A lot of people will be pleasantly surprised when learning about the Super Mario RPG remake. I've never played the original, and I still feel I'd rather be inclined to play it instead.

The news of Peach starring in a game is welcoming. They're far and few between.

I actually think Headbangers Rhythm Royale looks fun. I'd be interested in playing it.

I'm not sure how I feel about WarioWare: Move It! right now. To me, it was implied all mini-games would be motion-based. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but people will always have issue with Joy-Cons.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks fun, for sure. The unexpected aspects were welcoming. I've only ever played one 2D Mario game before, though, so it's highly unlikely I'll ever play it. I've only even played a few 3D games, even.

alligo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 02:10:28 pm »
Very happy for the new Mario, Mario RPG, DQ Monsters and Penny's Big Breakway.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 10:28:57 pm »
The Japanese version of the Direct had a new game from Good-Feel called Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!! that looks pretty good!

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 05:39:22 am »
New Mario, New Peach, Luigi's Mansion Remake, Mario RPG remake.  Mario fans eating good!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 12:05:13 am »
I thought it was decent overall. I was genuinely excited to hear about the Super Mario RPG remake and another 2D Mario game. The Princess Peach game has me interested too despite the few details provided on it. If I were a bigger Pikmin fan I'd have definitely liked this Direct more, but unfortunately the game has never really been my cup of tea. I guess where my disappointment comes from is the lack of things I'd hoped to see including the following personal wishlist:

-New DKC game (sequel to Tropical Freeze)
-New Star Fox game (not a port of an older game)
-Some sort of cool surprise like a new Sin and Punishment or Panzer Dragoon Zwei remake details
-a compilation or separate releases of Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D on the Switch
-while I've never beat a Metroid game, I still hoped for more details on Prime 4

Because of this and a lack of interesting titles in general this was definitely a 5/10 Direct for me, but I am happy about most of what we did get in terms of reveals.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 01:11:55 am »
I thought it was decent overall. I was genuinely excited to hear about the Super Mario RPG remake and another 2D Mario game. The Princess Peach game has me interested too despite the few details provided on it. If I were a bigger Pikmin fan I'd have definitely liked this Direct more, but unfortunately the game has never really been my cup of tea. I guess where my disappointment comes from is the lack of things I'd hoped to see including the following personal wishlist:

-Some sort of cool surprise like a new Sin and Punishment or Panzer Dragoon Zwei remake details
-a compilation or separate releases of Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D on the Switch
-while I've never beat a Metroid game, I still hoped for more details on Prime 4

Because of this and a lack of interesting titles in general this was definitely a 5/10 Direct for me, but I am happy about most of what we did get in terms of reveals.
You might enjoy Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair if you want something similar to Tropical Freeze.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 07:54:43 pm »
Worst direct I have ever watched. Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile. I can only assume Nintendo has transferred all major properties over to the next platform, which I would imagine will be announced before the end of the year
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 11:16:46 am »
Worst direct I have ever watched. Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile. I can only assume Nintendo has transferred all major properties over to the next platform, which I would imagine will be announced before the end of the year
Did you watch the wrong Direct?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 11:52:20 am »

Yeah, I can understand not liking the titles on display, but to claim that they aren't releasing new titles of popular IPs on the Switch when the direct had both a new Mario and a new Peach game announced and spent a ton of time on Pikmin 4?  Don't get it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:57:45 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 10:39:39 pm »

You might enjoy Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair if you want something similar to Tropical Freeze.

I appreciate the recommendation. The first game has been on my backlog ever since it came out. I knew that game was similar to Banjo-Kazooie, but I didn't realize that about Impossible Lair.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2023, 05:01:49 pm »
Did you?

Yeah, I can understand not liking the titles on display, but to claim that they aren't releasing new titles of popular IPs on the Switch when the direct had both a new Mario and a new Peach game announced and spent a ton of time on Pikmin 4?  Don't get it.
Pikmin 4 wasn't a new announcement. They teased Peach, nothing more. So yes, new 2D Mario. Awesome. What else was *new*?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 05:03:53 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)