Author Topic: What Are Your Top (Four) Consoles Right Now And Why?  (Read 540 times)

What Are Your Top (Four) Consoles Right Now And Why?
« on: August 22, 2023, 08:59:51 am »
My top four video game consoles are the only ones I have plugged in right now at the same exact time. I use a AV Out, and Switchboard with 4 buttons on it. That enable me to only use one AV-Out connections to my CRT itself while the rest of the 4 other consoles are plugged into the switchboard. If I wanted to connect more consoles up to the same tv switch I could use another switch board but that would disable 1 of the 8 switches making only 3 more switchboards to use. SO I only plan on using 4 switches for now and on those 4 switches are the following consoles

1: Xbox Original
2: PlayStation 2 Phat
3: Xbox 360
4: PlayStation 3 Slim

I don't have my N64 plugged in because it is broken, and my Wii, and GameCube, & NES, and Retro Duo, and SEGA Genesis does not have that many of my most favorite games on it
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:05:11 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

Re: What Are Your Top (Four) Consoles Right Now And Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 11:13:27 am »
I've actually fallen out of gaming over the last year due to a lack of modern titles I want to play and a shift of finding out that I enjoy writing, and have been writing a series of novels over the last year and a half. So to answer this, I suppose I'll go with my top four consoles of all time.

PS4

PS4 takes the top spot for me and it's not just because of great new IPs like Ghost of Tsushima, A Plague Tale, For Honor, etc... it's because it was the best place for all around games. It was the generation where they started bringing a ton of classic games as remakes or remasters to modern ecosystems. Favorites for that include Uncharted Collection, Resident Evil Remake, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection, and Shenmue Collection. Then of course, we got sequels to existing IPs like Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, etc.

The graphics were great and the controller was comfortable. The hardware was stable and fast enough to not slog on startup like the PS3 did.

PS1

PS1 takes the second spot due to the sheer number of incredible new IPs that developers were able to accomplish in the 3D space. It was basically a flip of the coin on which I preferred between PS1 and PS4, but both are incredible. Such good memories with Destruction Derby, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, Oddworld, Dino Crisis and many many others. The switch to 3D allowed developers so much more freedom and this is the generation where good storytelling started to take place in the video game space.

Genesis / MD

Genesis takes my third spot, again, because of the games. It had all the great third party games like Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, etc, but then had incredible first party games. Obviously, Sonic was the draw here, but then there was Sega's Jurassic Park which had a different dev create a different experience for the franchise across their three different systems. I loved them all. Comix Zone was a favorite, as was Streets of Rage. Ecco the Dolphin was even fun.

NES

The first Nintendo takes the final spot. From Ninja Turtles to Ducktales, this was my first big introduction into gaming. Sure, I had played on my dad's C64 and a little on the Atari 2600, but it was the NES that got me hooked. Battletoads, Micro Machines, Double Dragon... all incredible memories.

galaxygamer102

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 01:25:52 pm »
Well, I think I'm younger than most people here so my choices may seem kinda weird, but here are my top 4 consoles (Not really in order).

PS4/5
The PS4 has games! (audience gasp)

Personally I think the PS4 has a lot of Variety. I saved up for a PS5 and got it back in Spring Break, opening me to the Playstation library of games, but I've mainly played PS4 Games. (I mean I have 11 PS4 Games and 1 PS5 game not counting Astro) The amount of Variety means it has games for everyone to enjoy. Plus, the controller feels awesome to use. Also, the actual console looks nice too.

Nintendo Switch

I can bring it to the funeral!!!!!!!!!!

The Switch is awesome to me. It may not be the best graphically, But the great library of fun games definitely makes up for it. The Joy-Cons also allow for Multiplayer anywhere you go (Which is pretty cool for someone like me who's still in school)! Plus I have a soft spot for it as it was how I discovered one of my favorite video game series.

Nintendo 3DS

nostalgia bias

Ho boy, the DS! This is how I got into gaming (Mario Kart DS was my first ever game)! I will forever love these systems no matter what. They are a joy to have and play. If I had to choose from the 3DS and DS though, I think I'd pick the 3DS over the DS, most likely because I honestly like the games on the 3DS more.

Nintendo Wii

And finally, The Wii! (Yeah I mostly played Nintendo consoles with a bit of Xbox sprinkled in before I got a PS5.) You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent playing Wii Sports Resort with my family. The Games on the Wii are pretty good, though forced motion controls are kinda annoying sometimes.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 03:43:06 pm »
Well, I think I'm younger than most people here so my choices may seem kinda weird, but here are my top 4 consoles (Not really in order).

PS4/5
The PS4 has games! (audience gasp)

Personally I think the PS4 has a lot of Variety. I saved up for a PS5 and got it back in Spring Break, opening me to the Playstation library of games, but I've mainly played PS4 Games. (I mean I have 11 PS4 Games and 1 PS5 game not counting Astro) The amount of Variety means it has games for everyone to enjoy. Plus, the controller feels awesome to use. Also, the actual console looks nice too.

Nintendo Switch

I can bring it to the funeral!!!!!!!!!!

The Switch is awesome to me. It may not be the best graphically, But the great library of fun games definitely makes up for it. The Joy-Cons also allow for Multiplayer anywhere you go (Which is pretty cool for someone like me who's still in school)! Plus I have a soft spot for it as it was how I discovered one of my favorite video game series.

Nintendo 3DS

nostalgia bias

Ho boy, the DS! This is how I got into gaming (Mario Kart DS was my first ever game)! I will forever love these systems no matter what. They are a joy to have and play. If I had to choose from the 3DS and DS though, I think I'd pick the 3DS over the DS, most likely because I honestly like the games on the 3DS more.

Nintendo Wii

And finally, The Wii! (Yeah I mostly played Nintendo consoles with a bit of Xbox sprinkled in before I got a PS5.) You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent playing Wii Sports Resort with my family. The Games on the Wii are pretty good, though forced motion controls are kinda annoying sometimes.

@galaxygamer102 you must be one of the smartest younger and modern video game collectors out there, because it seems you went at least 90% physical instead of sticking with only digital or games that require an online server to play them sometime in the future. I am cheering you and other posable late Generation Y's and Millennial's or alpha's who think just like you do in this post

you rock!!

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 03:53:46 pm »
I've actually fallen out of gaming over the last year due to a lack of modern titles I want to play and a shift of finding out that I enjoy writing, and have been writing a series of novels over the last year and a half. So to answer this, I suppose I'll go with my top four consoles of all time.

PS4

PS4 takes the top spot for me and it's not just because of great new IPs like Ghost of Tsushima, A Plague Tale, For Honor, etc... it's because it was the best place for all around games. It was the generation where they started bringing a ton of classic games as remakes or remasters to modern ecosystems. Favorites for that include Uncharted Collection, Resident Evil Remake, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection, and Shenmue Collection. Then of course, we got sequels to existing IPs like Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, etc.

The graphics were great and the controller was comfortable. The hardware was stable and fast enough to not slog on startup like the PS3 did.

The PS4 and PS5 always reminded of a cheap PS2 console, from what I seen when comparing the PS4/PS5 to the PS3 and Xbox360. The graphics look to me like a step backwards plus you need to download a PS4 and PS5 and XboxOne and X console game from an online server before playing. PS3 and Xbox360 may have required a patch? but the patch usually was no more the 2GB for 99% of all the games for it. I don't like wireless controllers either, I can see why you like the PS4 games though but Me persoally don't think that the PS4's are meant to last, unlike the PS1's PS2;s and the PS3 Slims and Super Slims

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 04:27:25 pm »
I struggle with this all the time as I'm never 100% confident in my choices, but I'll say in no specific order...

Playstation 2 - Great selection of games from racing, to action, to JRPG, to the start of the Guitar Hero era of gaming which was real big for me.

Nintendo 64 - I'll never say this is an "underrated" system or it was wrongly criticized, the controller sucks and it has a very small selection of games, but this system has all time favorite games for me like Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc...

Xbox 360 - This was that big leap to the HD era for me, which I think has a lot of importance to it.  I was a big PS2 player before this, so moving from Sony to Xbox fully was a big shift and there were lots of great games I played, continued love for Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and this was a bigger push into online console gaming as I was primarily a PC online player outside of some online stuff I did for like SOCOM in the PS2 days or the bit of time I put into Final Fantasy XI. Also it has one of the top controllers ever made.  This is also one of the only original consoles I own still (Not the original original one, I had to replace it with a new one in like 2009 or 2010 after something died on it and I had to buy a new Arcade version to put my hard drive into), as I like to plug it back in and play Guitar Hero and Rock Band usually once or twice a year.

NES - This one is more for pure nostalgia than say the Nintendo 64, but it's an important system for me, having the first games I've ever played, having important games for my gaming interests like Super Mario Bros 1/3, Legend of Zelda, and while there aren't tons of games I could point to as still being my favorites or having continued importance, it always has a soft spot for me.

Honorable Mention:
Playstation 1 - This one actually has a lot of importance to me, but it was a system I never owned, I played it at friends houses, a small card shop in my town, and I got super into games like Twisted Metal 2, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Final Fantasy 7 and lots more that were pretty significant games for me, offering different experiences than stuff I had with N64.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:39:34 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 08:24:44 pm »
If we're talking which systems am I hot on right now, instead of an all time favorites list... that's something a bit different. Right now, I'm into...

- OG Xbox. This system has aged well. So underrated by the retro scene, but the games still look and play so damn good! The support for 480p might not have meant much back then, but it sure is appreciated now.

- Dreamcast. Hard not to be charmed by it, and just the magical feel of most of the games that belong uniquely to this system. Like having a late 90s arcade machine in your home.

- PS2. Difficult to argue with the plethora of games available. The graphics aren't always the prettiest, but guaranteed your gonna find something cool to play that no other console has.

- Wii. I doesn't matter to me if few others see the value and fun in it, I think the motion controls are a welcome feature. I also think the depth of the library is much greater than popular opinion credits it for.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 10:51:10 pm »
My overall Top 4 would be:

1. Dreamcast
2. N64
3. PS2
4. PS1

but if we're talking just right now, at the moment, it would probably be more like:

1. PS5
2. GBA
3. PS4
4. N64

This is solely based on how much I've been playing these consoles over the last few months and also what I've felt like playing. To be honest, I haven't been that motivated to play games over the past month on account of being very busy with work, travel, and also me devoting a lot of time to a project car I purchased. I guess in a way you can say that I'm taking a little bit of a break from gaming, which isn't something I've done in nearly 20-years. I was feeling a bit burned out there for a little, but if my excitement over some of the Gamescom announcements is anything to go on, it looks like me taking a break is having its intended effect of getting me excited about gaming again. So yeah, I still love gaming, but I was long overdue to focus on other things for a while.

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 11:59:08 pm »
Top FOUR!?
Wow, that number was very specific, but anyways, here we go:

PC Engine
I'm always finding interesting games for it that I had no idea even existed! The problem is that it's becoming more and more expensive to collect for (which, in a way, makes the hunt more fun).

Sega Saturn
Basically all that's been said about the PC Engine applies here. It's a lot easier to find games to it though (and often, even more expensive).

PlayStation 4
The only (somewhat) modern videogame to which I'm still actively buying games for (even though I end up playing them all on the PlayStation 5)

Sega Master System
The video game console I grew up with and forever my favorite.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 04:40:30 pm »
My top four right now would be.

1.Xbox series X because it's my most used modern console. I'm on it almost every day.
2.PlayStation 5 I'll use this console a few days a month usually to play multiplayer with friends online.
3.Xbox Series S I use the Series S for emulation quite a bit I'm playing a lot of PlayStation 1 right now.
4.Switch is next I usually play this on the go or in bed.
These are always connected to my main modern tv.

If were talking about my favorite systems.

1.Super Nes connected to crt
2.Xbox 360 connected to modern tv
3.Dreamcast connected to crt
4.Ps2 connected to a PlayStation 3D tv
I have other consoles connected also but have many fond memories of playing these.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 08:45:00 pm »
PlayStation 5 - In addition to all the PS5 games it is also the best PS4 you can buy.

Super Nintendo - What a solid piece of hardware. And that library ain't nothing to scoff at.

Xbox Series X - The robust backwards compatibility makes it a must include for me.  Nearly 4 full generations on a single console? Yes, please.

Nintendo Switch - Killer library and portability.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 09:03:07 pm »
Nintendo Switch- it's almost all I play nowadays

Yakuza Machine- oh umm I mean the PS4... That really is all I play on this thing with few exceptions like Nier: Replicant.

Gamecube- Still one of my favorites and abig reason I really goy into playing games and did a lot of trying out different styles of games on it.

YAMAHA CDC-745- a 5-Disc CD player I picked up for like $8. Replaced the Belt in it and it works amazingly

stealthrush

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 09:26:31 pm »
Top 4 consoles right now that I have been playing the past months:

1. Sega Saturn
2. Wii U
3. 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
4. PS4

I've been slowly working through completing my favorite games on my favorite system SAT and logging them in my blog. It's been a trip re-visisting or sometimes discovering new experiences whether it would be from Mystaria / Blazing Heroes, A.M.O.K, or Clockwork Knight. My biggest time investment was playing 3DO library, and completing several games in the process. My favorite game on that system would be Guardian War (Powers Kingdom). PS4 and Wii + Wii U for casual 'modern' games such as The King of Fighters XV, Street Fighter 6, New Super Luigi U, and Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz.

My all-time top 4 favorite consoles would be:

1. Sega Saturn
2. SNES
3. PC Engine
4. Dreamcast

I've played plenty of SNES, PCE, and DC games in the past enjoyed them immensely. Arcade conversions, system exclusives, fan-translated projects or games from the homebrew scene. Honorable mention is PS1 and NES.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 10:00:13 pm »
1. SNES

So many of the greatest games of all time are for this console. Not only that, but I love the soundchip and the graphics of this system. There's something so awesome about suplexing trains, slaying gods and exploring Zebes. I keep on discovering hidden gems for this system, and people are still making ROM hacks of Super Mario World and Super Metroid, giving the system new life.

2. DS Lite

Compatibility with the GBA as well as an incredible line-up of first party games makes this system worth it. This combination makes it an RPG powerhouse, and was the first system to have a competent touchscreen. This one also has a huge nostalgia factor, as the first portable system I ever had.

3. Switch

The greatest of the modern systems has incredible versatility, and can be used on either a TV or as a handheld. Exploring the various kingdoms in Mario Odyssey is an exciting adventure. I also love how convenient it is to pick up and play.

4. Xbox One S

While I mostly use it as a 4K Blu-Ray player, it is still a really good game console. With 360 compatibility, many of the best 7th gen games can be played here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:04:57 pm by courtlyhades296 »