Author Topic: How do you feel about Store Exclusive CE's?  (Read 486 times)

bizzarnage

How do you feel about Store Exclusive CE's?
« on: October 03, 2023, 03:19:29 pm »
Hey everyone! Been ages since I hit the forums but something's been on my mind and I figured, who better to talk to about this?

Lately I've noticed a trend in store exclusive collectors editions. In particular, I'm referring to things like Armored Core, Tekken 8, Octopath Traveler 2 & even NEO: The World Ends With You (Which was a Japanese Squeenix store exclusive) How has this recent pattern of behavior with 3rd party companies left you feeling? I myself personally am not a fan of this at all. Scalpers are already a bane of this hobbies existence but something about this practice makes it inherently worse. The price for a lot of these CE's have skyrocketed enough without having to worry about the fear of mishandled packaging/shipping, late arrivals, or even cancellations. (My condolences to anyone who has to import anything overseas, I know your struggle is real  :-\) Do you see this trend continuing or getting worse? How do you feel about direct company sales of Collectors Editions? I'd love to discuss and hear your opinions, everyone! :D
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

Re: How do you feel about Store Exclusive CE's?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 04:10:38 pm »
I don’t like them personally. It seams like a FOMO cash grab.
I’ve put off buying a lot of the collectors editions all together, because I don’t think every game made needs one.
The last one I bought was R-Type on Xbox. Pretty lazy on the packaging too!! You get a green sticker that says Xbox version lol.
Before that, I bought the Metal Gear Solid gun grey bundle PS3 from Konami and the survival edition Fallout from Amazon.

kypherion

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 06:32:05 pm »
Definitely a pain in the ass to collect for. They're expensive at first (obviously) but then naturally they only appreciate and then you need to worry about getting all of the accessories e.g. the Doom Slayer Helmet in DOOM Eternal's CE. Then you have to worry about the condition of the product...

I think they work great when a game first comes out. Those who just want the literal game can play it while those more invested can journey into the game's universe through related props.

Unfortunately, they are a pain to acquire sometimes and not exactly cheap. I think they're great ways to appreciate a game and look great on the shelf, but boy do they drain the wallet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 06:34:08 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

telekill

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 09:19:07 pm »
I haven't purchased a CE since Uncharted 4's Libertalia Edition in 2016. They became overly expensive for mostly worthless junk. Then the industry mostly stopped making games worth the basic price of admission.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 09:24:15 pm »
I typically don't like collector's editions because I like my games to look uniform on the shelf. The only collector's edition I've bought in ages is pre-ordering the Jurassic Park collection from LRG, but that's because I'm also a Jurassic Park collector in addition to a game collector.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 08:32:45 am »
So far, no one yet has actually addressed the topic's question about store exclusive edition items.

From what I've noticed, games which are multi-platform receiving these kinds of edition releases such as with Limited Run Games and NIS America, the physical game is packaged separately from everything else advertised. So, to me, what is actually being advertised isn't authentic, as the received order is instead a standard game that also happens to be mailed with some added bonuses in another container. This is far different than edition items of years past. Were I someone who purchased these items, I'd also take issue with many of these items, namely from the two aforementioned publishers, advertise these items as some "limited" edition, but the packaging doesn't state this detail anywhere. In rare circumstances, an outer label of sorts may be affixed outside of sealed copies only or perhaps be found on the mailing packaging itself, but it's much more rare for the actual item to be detailed as such.

Like you've mentioned, distribution seems to be handled poorly. In this day and age, I don't think there is any clear way to prevent scalping. But, something similar to how Sony first handled PlayStation 5 distribution through an online lottery of sorts to later send random participants a link to a queue where they're then only given the chance to order their desired item seems far more ideal than simply setting a product order page live for bots and scalpers to take part. Or, if there is instead a preorder window, then at least the total number of orders would be manufactured at a minimum for those reserving it, with however much excess available for standard ordering.

These sorts of items will seldom be in stores now. The profit margin is much higher through online preorders, as opposed to manufacturing a preset number with an undetermined amount of overstock later being heavily discounted. It is this same reason why even some standard games don't receive typical retail releases and will surprisingly (at first it was, anyway) instead be online exclusives to third-party publishers such as Limited Run Games.

conduit

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 03:06:33 pm »
The last CE of any game I remember buying was Mortal Kombat 9 for Xbox 360 and Gear of War 3 before that, well over a decade ago when I was heavily into both series. The extras that came with them were cool initially. As the years went by I slowly started resenting having these extras as my taste and opinions with gaming changed. They simply took up space I wanted to use for other things and weren't conducive to my enjoyment of the game they were attached to. Once I was over the 360 I sold them off with everything else 360-related, haven't bought a CE for any game since. I don't see that changing anytime soon given I seldom buy modern games nowadays, let alone in physical form.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 06:31:52 am »
It troubles me immensely! The biggest problem I have is that with the UK GAME store, they get bonus exclusives - often a Steelbook. The problem is they're price is usually £20+ what I can get on Day One through an online retailer! With Final Fantasy XVI I had to get the Deluxe Edition (Which was also overpriced for a steelbook and cloth...) I got it online but GAME has a 2nd Steelbook. Luckily I asked nicely and managed to snag one from GAME but I might not always get so lucky! I already see the same set up for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth ahead and feel nothing but dread!

I don't tend to go for the huge box editions for games any more, they're just too much but I do at least like to collect Steelbooks but the price of the industry has spiked for certain new releases - £69.99 for a top-tier PS5 game is taking the p'. It's put me off buying games Day One  Unless I consider them essential but then the onslaught of what extras to get and from where becomes too overwhelming.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 09:05:57 pm »
Even though it goes without saying, remember that you're not the end goal for these companies: it's the money. Square-Enix doesn't care if whatever "limited" item they release gets nabbed by scalpers using bots—a sale is a sale and that's all they're looking to make. If they truly cared about their customer base, then they'd do their due diligence prepping their website with adequate protection to ensure scraper bots are blocked, which can be done effectively in real-time before they do any damage.

In my most honest opinion, collector editions nowadays aren't worth a damn, they often amount to just cheap trinkets. You're all just being preyed on.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!