Author Topic: 2024 Gaming/Collecting Goals  (Read 2363 times)

2024 Gaming/Collecting Goals
« on: December 22, 2023, 04:38:14 pm »
We aren't far off from the end of the the year and I was curious what people's gaming goals are for 2024?
Mine are mostly non-collecting based and have more to do with playing games rather than acquiring them, although I do have a few things I'd like to accomplish when it comes to collecting too. Here are my 2024 Gaming Goals.

1. Play at least 10 games from franchises I've never played: There are a lot of franchises I've been meaning to try out, some more recent, and others for literal decades that I really want to give a shot. I don't have a comprehensive list of franchises, but a few that I can name off the top of my head are Tomb Raider, The Witcher, Yakuza, Diablo, and Dragon Age.

2. Attempt to play more longer (15+ hour) games: I play a lot of arcade style games, partially because I love these types of games, however they are easy padding to complete the 52-games challenge we do here every year. I often have a cadence where I'll play a longer game, play 3 to 8 shorter games that can be completed in under a few hours, and then play another longer game. I enjoy playing games this way, however I'd like to try and no more than 4 shorter games in between longer games instead of just binging arcade games for an entire month before playing another longer game.

3. Complete the 52 Games Challenge: This is a staple of every gaming goals/resolution posts I've ever posted in for a while. I intend on hitting 52 games again next year despite whatever else I have going on.

4. Get back into console modding: A couple years ago I got heavily into this. I learned how to solder and enough about electronics engineering to start modding various older consoles, as well as doing repairs. I installed some really sweet mods for myself and a few other people, which I'm still enjoying to this day. I have 90% of everything I need for an ultimate Gamecube build, as well as a few uninstalled mods for the Saturn and N64 I never got around to installing. I'd like to install all these, plus anything else that strikes my fancy over the next year, just as long as I start modding again.

5. Try and post videos to my youtube channel more regularly: I posted a whopping 4 videos in all of 2023. I'd like to maybe double this amount in 2024.

6. Continue to downsize collection: this is really the anti-collecting goal, but its one that has made me happier as a collector over the past year or so. I'm finding more and more that I enjoy having a small, curated collection of games rather than the massive collection I once had. Still, there isn't too much fat to trim off my collection as is, but it would be nice to trim a good 50 or so games from the collection this year.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:40:09 pm by bikingjahuty »

spac316

Re: 2024 Gaming/Collecting Goals
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 05:45:04 pm »
I'll just keep growing my wrestling game collection till it's satisfactory.

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 06:00:13 pm »
I installed some really sweet mods for myself and a few other people, which I'm still enjoying to this day. I have 90% of everything I need for an ultimate Gamecube build, as well as a few uninstalled mods for the Saturn and N64 I never got around to installing.

You got me curious there! What kinds of mods are you doing to your consoles? And what would that Ultimate GameCube be?

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 07:46:32 pm »
Main gaming goal is the ever-impossible whittling down the backlog. Main problem is that I keep playing those behemoth games that take 100+ hours to finish. One game in particular I want to finish (or more accurately, get caught up) is Coloring Pixels for Steam, as there's around 1,500 achievements to get in that addicting, casual game.

Collecting-wise I don't really have a goal for games themselves, as I'm barely buying anything physical right now. I do have a few game-adjacent goals though. I got back into the Pokemon card collecting scene this year, and would like to finish up some sets, old and new. Right now, the only ones I've finished are Base Set and Black & White, but I want to get the Scarlet & Violet ones completed and work my way backwards from there. I also want to complete my Pokemon Nanoblock collection, not counting the super mini ones. Currently, I've got 25 of the basic ones and the DX versions of Palkia and Dialga. And finally, I want to keep building up my Team Fortress 2 unusual collection, I'm almost at the 300 mark there.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 08:29:33 pm »
I installed some really sweet mods for myself and a few other people, which I'm still enjoying to this day. I have 90% of everything I need for an ultimate Gamecube build, as well as a few uninstalled mods for the Saturn and N64 I never got around to installing.

You got me curious there! What kinds of mods are you doing to your consoles? And what would that Ultimate GameCube be?
I did a lot of Xstation mods and was selling them on ebay for a while. I also did a lot of HDMI mods like the DCdigital, N64digital, and PS1digital. I did a few custom handhelds too including several GBAs (usually did IPS, sith updated case and buttons, and occasionally a rechargable battery mod, or sound amp mod). I did some odd mods like the Genesis triple bypass, I completely overhauled a Nomad with all kinds of mods, and did a few region free mods too for various systems.
The Ultimate Gamecube is essentially a GCdigital HDMI mod with an ODE (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head), a brand new shell, and one other mod (bought most of what I needed two years ago and can't remember them all lol). Pretty much it'll output in HD and have every game available on it playing off original hardware.

telekill

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 02:17:05 pm »
I'm afraid my days of actually collecting are at minimum on hold, if not over. Sure, there are a couple of things I would love to own, but I'm not willing to fork out $1000+ for them. For now, I'll be looking forward to any retro collections from the 90's. Anticipating the first three Tomb Raider games releasing in Feb with a slight graphical overhaul.

Anyone know why Capcom hasn't made a Resident Evil collection of the PS1 games? Sure, they remade them, but the originals could be released and I think, well received.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 02:35:37 pm »
I've narrowed my collecting habits to be pretty minimal, this year I mostly just picked up some TMNT/Rampage games, the older ones, as I want to have a collection of that sorta stuff rather than a big broad section, though I am gonna try and pick up relatively cheap boxed N64 games, stuff that aren't a big deal like sports games and such, in the hopes of growing a small N64 collection.  Also need to get boxes for my Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, and Diddy Kong Racing. 

Not that I can get lots, I'm trying to get a brand new PC next year also, so that's 1500 to 2000 right there.  Gotten tired of running games at low/medium and want something meaty for the first time in a long while lol

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 07:08:57 pm »
I'm afraid my days of actually collecting are at minimum on hold, if not over. Sure, there are a couple of things I would love to own, but I'm not willing to fork out $1000+ for them. For now, I'll be looking forward to any retro collections from the 90's. Anticipating the first three Tomb Raider games releasing in Feb with a slight graphical overhaul.

Anyone know why Capcom hasn't made a Resident Evil collection of the PS1 games? Sure, they remade them, but the originals could be released and I think, well received.

My only guess is because they're still making a lot of money on selling them individually through various online stores like PSN and XBL. I would absolutely die if they re-released 1-3 + CV in a single package with a slight graphical overhaul and in HD.

alligo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 11:39:05 am »
I would like to finally succeed in reducing my backlog and still enjoy playing as much.
I don't really collect so nothing on that side.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 10:59:48 pm »
1. Stay under 8,200 games. - I'm at 8,165, so that really gives me no room to work with, but maybe this goal can convince me to sell stuff?
2. Finish Sonic franchise run. - I still need to get Sonic Superstars, but I'm sure I'll get it by the end of next year.
3. Beat 104 games. -
4. Finish Armored Core franchise run. - I really want to play the new one, but I refuse until I do the franchise
5. Make progress on Assassin's Creed franchise run. -
6. Make progress on Ace Combat franchise run. - This is an AC year I guess
7. Hit top .5% softcore on Retro Achievements. - *gasp* I was under 500 on the ranks, I'm 501 right now.  At least my goal wasn't top 500.
8. Break 250,000 gamerscore on Xbox. - This one might actually be a toughy, I'm at 230,000 right now, but I've been consistently earning over 2k per month, so we'll see.
9. Hit star level 365 on PSN. - Currently 356.  Should be reasonable?
10. Succeed in every season on Playtracker.
11. End the year with a positive progress index on Backloggery
12. Reinventory accessible games. - This is a toughy since most of my stuff is boxed up, but the systems boxed up, I haven't bought new games, so this is a pretty reasonable goal that needs doing
13. Beat a game from every year from year x to 2024. - I didn't actually mark this as a goal this last year, I'm actually 6 games off from the goal and I'm trying to make myself work on it.  I put x because I don't really pick a year from the get go, I pick the year based on whatever the oldest game I play happens to be.

Recap of goals from last year.  Will drop in goals for this year.

1. Stay under 8,200 games. - Honestly, if GS/Walmart/etc keeps clearancing stuff, I'll fail so hard.
- Success - No chance I'm gonna break 8,200 by the end of the year, so I'm calling this a success.
2. Finish Sonic franchise run.
- Failed - I made some progress to the point I only had 1 game left (Sonic Frontiers), but then a new game came out (Don't own it yet) and I decided to retroactively add a bunch of alternate versions of games I've already beaten to the list, so not gonna happen, but real close.
3. Beat 104 games.
- Success - I'm past 110 games beat so far, so well past succeeded.
4. Start streaming again.
- Failed - I haven't done it yet.  I've been streaming to discord.  I streamed the majority of my playthrough of Lies of P to Discord (which isn't recorded), but it doesn't count.  Streaming really does sully my experience because I feel like I can't play unless I can dedicate at least 30 minutes, which means I wind up not playing at all sometimes.  Lies of P would've been good to stream though.
5. Start Armored Core franchise run.
- Success - Technically, success, because I did start, but once I hit the PS2 games I ran into problems with controls/emulators.  I really want to remap controls, but I can't get any emulator to actually play properly
6. Take new game room pics
- Success  - I'm gonna call this a success, even if for semi-technical reasons.  I merged my game room with my office, so fewer games, but I took pictures once I was done moving games around.
7. Get into the top 1% (softcore) on RetroAchievements (Currently sitting at top 1.23%) - The goal post here keeps sliding, because I hit top 500 already and now I'm pretty close to top 1% will probably hit it in the next couple of days.
- Success - Sitting at 0.88% so I'm good with this.  Next year I think the goal is going to be 0.5%
8. Break 100,000 on Xbox 360 gamerscore (Excludes Xbox One)
- Success
9. End the year with a positive progress index on Backloggery
- Success - Unless fuckery goes on that I'm not aware of, I'm at positive 17 so pretty unlikely that I'll fuck that up with 6 days left in the year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 12:08:30 pm by ignition365 »

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 03:31:36 pm »
Gameplay wise, Play more disc based games of playstation era. less focus on carts or anything sega.

Collection wise. No goals in mind Just chipping away at stuff that I still want if it comes along the way at a good price. Just going to take it slow like usual. No need to rush stuff.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2023, 05:15:17 am »
I think my only goal is to get around buying Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on GBA. It's not rare or expensive, but I just had different priorities this year and haven't come around to it. Once I have that one, I have a copy of every unique Harry Potter main game until the 6th. I had the 6th as a kid and it was so horrible that I gave up on it, and now as an adult I've decided to only collect the first 5. I do miss some spin-offs like Quiditch Tournament but I never liked the quiditich in the games anyways.

I played those games so much in my childhood they became iconic to me. Remember every day at school just waiting for school to end so I could go home and play. Back then on PC and the original XBOX, which sadly got lost later when we moved. Anyways it makes it a part of my collection I'd like to finish, and I'm almost there.

Perhaps another goal is to get one of those later GBA with nicer screen to play GBC games. I now play my GBA games on a DSlite, but that doesn't work for GBC, despite me thinking I had childhood memories of doing so :o .

Otherwise just continue collecting based on wishlist and what I feel like playing over time.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 02:54:48 pm »
One of my main goals is to expand my Switch collection and get Mario Wonder and Pokemon Violet for it. Another goal is to add Lufia 2 to my SNES collection.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 06:47:59 pm by courtlyhades296 »

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2023, 12:36:35 pm »
2023 started me down the "anti-collecting" path and 2024 will seem me continuing this trend.
I understand this is a collecting site.. and I am in no way suggesting others do the same, but as I get older I find the idea of accumulating "things" no longer interests me. Its funny, because while I've been getting rid of all my physical games, and repurchasing the games I actually want to play in a digital format, I also find my wanting to PLAY more games. So with all this said, here are my 3 goals for 2024

1. Finish selling off the rest of my physical collection.
2. Repurchase the select digital games I actually intend on playing and get them cataloged on the site.
3. PLAY MORE GAMES.

That's it, nice and simple.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2023, 10:46:39 pm »
2023 started me down the "anti-collecting" path and 2024 will seem me continuing this trend.
I understand this is a collecting site.. and I am in no way suggesting others do the same, but as I get older I find the idea of accumulating "things" no longer interests me. Its funny, because while I've been getting rid of all my physical games, and repurchasing the games I actually want to play in a digital format, I also find my wanting to PLAY more games. So with all this said, here are my 3 goals for 2024

1. Finish selling off the rest of my physical collection.
2. Repurchase the select digital games I actually intend on playing and get them cataloged on the site.
3. PLAY MORE GAMES.

That's it, nice and simple.
How are you going about selling things?  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.  I'm at the point that the only games I have out on display are games I actually intend on playing, everything else is boxed away.  So I think about selling off the boxed away stuff (literally thousands of games) but I just don't see any good way to get rid of them. 

. Go to local game shop and get pennies on the dollar or less because I would want cash and not store credit
. Sell on ebay, hit the $600 minimum, have to file taxes on the sales, deal with ebay's rising selling costs, shipping costs, potential scammers, and still not be able to sell half of it.
. Sell locally and deal with 99% "Still available? [Yes] Will you take $1 for all of it?"