Author Topic: 2024 Gaming/Collecting Goals  (Read 2366 times)

Re: 2024 Gaming/Collecting Goals
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2023, 11:32:43 pm »
2023 started me down the "anti-collecting" path and 2024 will seem me continuing this trend.
I understand this is a collecting site.. and I am in no way suggesting others do the same, but as I get older I find the idea of accumulating "things" no longer interests me. Its funny, because while I've been getting rid of all my physical games, and repurchasing the games I actually want to play in a digital format, I also find my wanting to PLAY more games. So with all this said, here are my 3 goals for 2024

1. Finish selling off the rest of my physical collection.
2. Repurchase the select digital games I actually intend on playing and get them cataloged on the site.
3. PLAY MORE GAMES.

That's it, nice and simple.
How are you going about selling things?  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.  I'm at the point that the only games I have out on display are games I actually intend on playing, everything else is boxed away.  So I think about selling off the boxed away stuff (literally thousands of games) but I just don't see any good way to get rid of them. 

. Go to local game shop and get pennies on the dollar or less because I would want cash and not store credit
. Sell on ebay, hit the $600 minimum, have to file taxes on the sales, deal with ebay's rising selling costs, shipping costs, potential scammers, and still not be able to sell half of it.
. Sell locally and deal with 99% "Still available? [Yes] Will you take $1 for all of it?"

Local gaming Facebook groups are a good way to get rid of a lot of stuff without running into a lot of this. I belong to one that does local swap meets several times a year and I've made thousands at a few of them. As for ebay, the IRS has not enforced the $600 limit in the 2-years since it was signed into law. The IRS has to prove you profited off the item or else they can't tax it. They're actually instating a $5000 limit in 2024, which who knows if they'll enforce that either, but this has been a very slippery law so far that likely will cause way more work for the IRS than it's worth. Unless you're selling 20k+ on ebay a year, you probably don't need to worry about it.

@justin8301 funny enough I think you're preaching to the choir at this point. It seems like most regular VGcollect users are in a downsize phase to some degree. Very few of us have the passion for collecting like we did a few years back and before. Whether it's prices, scarcity, or just the fact that there are many accomplished collectors on here who've owned the rare, cool stuff and there isn't much left for them to acquire, we all seem fairly burnt out on collecting. I'm certainly one of them, and have been downsizing now for a few years. My collection has shrunk quite a bit, and honestly I'm the happiest I've been with my collection now than I have been for many years. It just feels a lot more personal and less bloated which is exactly what I'm going for at this point in my life. People evolve over time and life changes fast. It was amazing to be a avid collector, but now I'm happier playing the games I own while adding way fewer games overall. Still, I wouldn't trade the years I'd spend all weekend hunting for games at flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores, and antique stores for anything. Those were some amazing, fun times that I'm happy I was a part of before things got way out of hand.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:43:45 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2023, 11:37:52 am »
bummer, reading about it, it sounds like this year it was actually 20,000$ and 200 transactions.  I could've dumped quite a bit.  Next year is $5k and no transaction limit.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2023, 11:43:29 am »
How are you going about selling things?

I've mostly been selling things on eBay. I decided that anything that sells for less than $15 isn't worth the time it takes to list it. I list anything over my $15 threshold and then gather up a bunch of lower cost things, take them to 2nd & Charles and get credit. Then i use the credit to by higher priced things and list those. I usually wait till they do a sale on games and buy stuff then.

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2023, 11:46:22 am »
Another driving factor in my switch to digital is the rise of really good handheld devices. Between my Switch and my Playstation Portal I can play most games in the last few generations that I want, and then for retro stuff, handheld emulation devices like the Miyoo Mini+ are just amazing. Handheld is usually me preferred method of gaming these days cause I can sit down and watch some tv after work with the wife and still get some game time in.

kashell

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2023, 05:03:47 pm »
The biggest goal, as always, is to play more games. Looking at my progress from this year's 52 Challenge, I say I did a damn good job mixing things up with a variety of titles.

I'm also going to continue the trend of pruning and curating my collection. I can see myself getting rid a lot more "modern" games this year.

Speaking of, I plan to do more research on games/franchises I missed and add those to my collection. On the flipside, I don't see myself getting too entrenched in modern releases. The amount of modern stuff that gets released nowadays has excited me less and less. And when something does excite me, chances are that it's either incomplete or has some DLC in the works. As a fan of trophy hunting, it's irritating when you finish a game with 100% completion, only to have to come back to it months later, relearn it, pay X number of dollars for three hours of content, and refill the percentage gauge.

I think that's it! Nothing major, overall.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2023, 11:53:13 am »
1. Own a Wrestling game on every System and combined with that, own all the WWF Games released in the 80's and 90's. Pretty much all i need is In Your House on Saturn.
2. Get all the Master System games back i had as a kid. I'm still missing 5
3. Reaching 100 Mega Drive games and the question if i'm really willing to fork over that much money for Shinobi 3 (and Alisia Dragoon)

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2023, 05:20:05 pm »
Gaming wise? Try to limit my purchases to stuff off my wish list (Though I can't turn down a dollar game at a thrift store, lol). I don't plan to buy any "new" games in 2024, and would like to work on my massive backlog.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 01:22:46 am »
I installed some really sweet mods for myself and a few other people, which I'm still enjoying to this day. I have 90% of everything I need for an ultimate Gamecube build, as well as a few uninstalled mods for the Saturn and N64 I never got around to installing.

You got me curious there! What kinds of mods are you doing to your consoles? And what would that Ultimate GameCube be?

I would not play with a console too much Biking, if you want to learn about hardware than (I suggest continuing to repair them for yourself or others. ferraroso could be a Nintendo worker of some sort?

I can tell by what he or she quoted you said. It's bad enough Nintendo gets bullied the most out of all the video game industry companies next to the Microsoft. Nintendo are a hardworking Chinese/Japanese company. It is not easy to save an entire video game industry back when video games were dead ended. some may consider me a low life pirate but? I paid for all those games and even own many physical copies as well of disc and Cartridges as well. 

If Nintendo is not even getting paid for the ROMs off any the archives, I can't fix that.

But if Nintendo want to take my advice they should try to partner with MS and create new and old ROM video games together and share the profits. I too love SONY and SEGA and Atari too, so I paid for those as well mostly. I own a N64 and a real GameCube a NES and SNES mini too and an original NES too, with some real games for it too. And a mint red Wii
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 01:24:20 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dhaabi

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 11:11:42 am »
I'd like to consider the possibility of going through my library across all, or at least most, systems I own. In 2023, I played games for 12 different platforms of the 26 available to me. I think I could do better.

Since I currently have an active PlayStation Plus Extra tier subscription, I would like to prioritize games for its library which aren't a part of my actual collection.

At the same time, I'd also like to play through more PlayStation VR games. I still have everything hooked up after having not played any for it in a few months, so hopefully that's enough of a motivator.

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 05:12:38 pm »

At the same time, I'd also like to play through more PlayStation VR games. I still have everything hooked up after having not played any for it in a few months, so hopefully that's enough of a motivator.[/font]

I treated myself to a PS4 VR a couple years ago, and I've never set it up. I keep buying VR games on sale too, lol.

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2024, 05:44:31 pm »
I'd like to consider the possibility of going through my library across all, or at least most, systems I own. In 2023, I played games for 12 different platforms of the 26 available to me. I think I could do better.

Since I currently have an active PlayStation Plus Extra tier subscription, I would like to prioritize games for its library which aren't a part of my actual collection.

At the same time, I'd also like to play through more PlayStation VR games. I still have everything hooked up after having not played any for it in a few months, so hopefully that's enough of a motivator.

I've been thinking of this myself. The PS4 and PS5 dominated my played games list last year, although to be fair, a lot of those games were on compilation that first appeared on alternative platforms (Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES, and so on). But as I was looking at my games the other day, I feel like there's a lot of 4th and 5th gen consoles I've criminally underplayed for a long time now. I'd really like to play more Genesis, SNES, and TG16 games in particular. Also, maybe some more handheld games too this year would be nice.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 04:35:36 pm »
I'm finishing the PS3 North American Set this year, shifting focus to finish PS1 and PS2 and PS4 sets. Each console I have around 600 titles remaining. I'd like to continue at the pace I am going and reach 2500 ps4 titles by the end of the year, and approximately 400 titles left for each console (PS1, PS2, and PS4) to reach the full sets.
PSX LEGACY

A Physical Chronicle of games for posterity.

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2024, 05:08:55 pm »

At the same time, I'd also like to play through more PlayStation VR games. I still have everything hooked up after having not played any for it in a few months, so hopefully that's enough of a motivator.[/font]

I treated myself to a PS4 VR a couple years ago, and I've never set it up. I keep buying VR games on sale too, lol.

I played a few things on mine - Astro Bot, Beat Saber, the Until Dawn rail shooter, Tetris Effect.  I liked pretty much everything I tried on it, but it has been packed away ever since they made it clear that it wasn't going to be PS5 compatible and I switched out my set-up from PS4 to PS5.

dhaabi

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 07:12:30 pm »

I played a few things on mine - Astro Bot, Beat Saber, the Until Dawn rail shooter, Tetris Effect.  I liked pretty much everything I tried on it, but it has been packed away ever since they made it clear that it wasn't going to be PS5 compatible and I switched out my set-up from PS4 to PS5.

It is compatible! Request your free PlayStation Camera Adaptor through Sony's support page.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 07:20:18 pm »

It is compatible! Request your free PlayStation Camera Adaptor through Sony's support page.

I did that years ago and have yet to receive it.