Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2024  (Read 8755 times)

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2024
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2024, 09:35:46 am »
My edit was rejected so someone else can fix it
https://vgcollect.com/item/213348. Gamefaqs lists the game as what is listed as the alt name, so the title is wrong.  Gamefaqs is also inconsistent for this franchise as one entry uses a hyphen and the other uses a colon. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/search?game=wwi+front

Here is the other entry with the correct name
https://vgcollect.com/item/232423
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 09:38:13 am by ignition365 »

dhaabi

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2024, 10:01:34 am »
My edit was rejected so someone else can fix it
https://vgcollect.com/item/213348. Gamefaqs lists the game as what is listed as the alt name, so the title is wrong.  Gamefaqs is also inconsistent for this franchise as one entry uses a hyphen and the other uses a colon. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/search?game=wwi+front

Here is the other entry with the correct name
https://vgcollect.com/item/232423

There is nothing to fix, as your edits were incorrect. Like I mentioned in the Admin Comments upon rejection, the issue relates to the common name rule. Your provided GameFAQs link isn't for the PlayStation 5 version released in NA but instead a parent listing for all items pertaining to it. Here is the specific page for the PS5 listing, which I previously provided. As you'll see, the only item which is formatted as WWI Verdun: Western Front is a retail EU version. Every other release for that platform is formatted as Verdun.

Formatting between 213348 and 232423 differ for this same reason. Here is that item's GameFAQs page specifically for PlayStation 5, where you'll see that the name is formatted as WWI Tannenberg: Eastern Front. In short, it's a consistency error on GameFAQ's behalf.

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2024, 10:12:07 am »
In short, it's a consistency error on GameFAQ's behalf.[/font]
which is another reason why its dumb that we use gamefaqs as gospel because this inconsistency makes this site look as disorganized and incompetent as they are.

tripredacus

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2024, 10:23:15 am »
An instance of where GameFAQs is clearly in error on their two pages, so should we also be in error? Then what is the solution, do we just have the city names or the full titles? We can decide for ourselves, but then the issue will be who gets to decide on which name to use? I really do not know the answer or else I would just say "do it like this" and be done with it.

So the choice here is either keep it the way it is on GameFAQs (which is in error) or determine whether you care about the title enough to request a name exception poll.

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2024, 10:42:15 pm »
Re: Rejected "Release Date" Edit to `BLACK` in the Xbox 360 Game Store:

I updated Black - Xbox Games Store (X360) [NA] to add the release date as seen in the official Xbox 360 Game Store listed here: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/BLACK/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802454109fd.

As can be seen on the official Xbox 360 Games Store listing, it lists June 11, 2019 as the Release Date in the Xbox 360 Game Store.

Both
  • in the Overview (Original release date: 6/11/2019)
  • AND on the game listing (Release date: 6/11/2019)

However, the edit rejection mentions the 2008 date seen on the link to https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/black/BTCS0LP052HL which is for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S (which is not what this listing was for).

This is an odd title in that it is an original 6th gen game, released for the original XBox and PS2 back in 2006. And then made available digitally on the 7th, 8th, and 9th gens digitally later. So obviously "2019" is not the most accurate date for the original version of this game. It even felt a bit odd for a date so late on the 360 marketplace seeing that is 3 generations back and 2019 was well past its relevant timeframe. And the 2008 date on the XBone listing also makes no sense considering that console didn't even exist yet. So definitely an odd situation. But the 2019 date was listed twice on the page specifically dedicated to the digital 360 listing of this game.

Based on the rejection from the admin, am I to start using the Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S listings for all the info for the Xbox 360 versions? Or are we to just not use info from the official Xbox 360 source if it seems "off" in any way? I just don't know what I'm supposed to do here. I occasionally get rejections for genres and other data grabbed directly from the source in these cases, and would appreciate some direction.

dhaabi

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2024, 09:20:13 am »
Re: Rejected "Release Date" Edit to `BLACK` in the Xbox 360 Game Store:

I occasionally get rejections for genres and other data grabbed directly from the source in these cases, and would appreciate some direction.

From the first link you've provided, the page implies the item is for Xbox 360. And, from the second link you've provided, Xbox 360 is again mentioned alongside compatibility for Xbox One and Xbox Series platforms.

However, like you mentioned, it seems as if the two Xbox store pages have release date information reversed. If we look at our site's entry for the game, you'll find its history to be telling. The entry was created in 2014, five full years before the presumed 2019 date you're suggesting. Do you think this entry was made so many years in advance, only with the assumption that the game would be released sometime in the future? That seems unlikely, and we can all safely assume that's false.

With that understanding, we can assume that the correct release date information for 69824 is April 6, 2008. But, given the inconsistency and lack of trustworthiness from Xbox's sites, we may not want to rely on them for such information. In general, if there is any reason to question information, the entry field information should be ignored altogether. There is no rule or expectancy to fill every entry field for every entry.

Regarding Genre field submissions, I only reject them when they are incorrect. For instance, one item you submitted information for is Sniper: Ghost Warrior, but it is widely understood to not be labeled as action-adventure but instead the more niche tactical shooter or even stealth while being played in the first-person camera perspective, meaning it can be simplified to strategy or action. Assigning first-person shooter to the entry seems slightly disingenuous, given that the characteristics for the genre are different, but it and the two other options are more than ideal options. Something worth realizing about Xbox's marketplace is that they have a limited pool of genre instances, as even first-person shooter itself—a hugely recognized genre—is absent.

For the record, I generally rely on Wikipedia when confirming Genre field submissions. The source isn't useful in every situation, though, but that's only because not every game has an article. Nevertheless, for the games which are mentioned on the site, the information is reliable. With that said, genre classification is somewhat subjective, so some margin of difference can be allowed in some circumstances.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 09:43:01 am by dhaabi »

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2024, 04:50:14 pm »
In general, if there is any reason to question information, the entry field information should be ignored altogether.

I can get down with this. Usually if I go into an "edit" for one thing, I definitely attempt to fill in in all the stuff I can find while I'm in there, but there are certainly times where even the "official" sources seem a bit untrustworthy on certain data points.

And I think just leaving it empty is the nice balance between "well this is what the official source says, but it seems inaccurate" versus "this is our best guess based on our own research/context, but there's no way to be sure." And in the end, lots of that data isn't super important for just documenting a collection in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for all your insight :)