Author Topic: May 30th Playstation State of Play  (Read 2095 times)

Re: May 30th Playstation State of Play
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2024, 08:29:57 pm »
I feel like an outlier because I love my PS5.  It's the best PS4 on the market!

That said, yeah it was a pretty underwhelming presentation.  I do really like Astro Bot games, though.

dhaabi

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2024, 10:18:21 am »
Just for the record, Silent Hill 2 has always offered players the option to utilize tank or directional controls. I doubt they'll preserve that choice for the remake based on all the trailers shown so far, though.

I don't think I knew that at the time, but looking back it with a video, the controls seem abit scuff still.  I just prefer the over-the-shoulder camera view for games like this, it's been great for Resident Evil, so it'll be a nice way to experience this game.

For sure, everyone's got their preferences about camera and perspective. If you do end up playing the upcoming Silent Hill 2 remake, hopefully you enjoy it. I've read a fair amount of criticism of the game from other general gaming communities, but dedicated Silent Hill communities feel opposite. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

You're not alone. I only wish that there were more enticing exclusives, and ones that capitalize on the capabilities of the DualSense controller. For that second reason alone, Astro Bot will be a must-play, given Team Asobi's previous efforts.

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2024, 11:30:08 am »

That said, yeah it was a pretty underwhelming presentation.  I do really like Astro Bot games, though.

Yeah, I really disagree with the PS5 hate. It feels like so many of these former PlayStation diehards, now suddenly have Steam and a competent PC setup and they're like "Huh, why is this game console so anemic, where are the exclusives bro?"

When these guys look back on previous generations with their rosy reds, they don't see it's always been that way. PC always got most of the games, and nowadays they even get a few of the Sony games too. It's not a drastically different story from PS4, or PS3. My PS3 collection almost entirely consists of just the exclusives for that console, and I've got the vast majority of them. I have roughly 60 exclusives for a system that was out from 2006 to 2014. Divide that by 8 years, 7 and a half exclusives per year. At least 40% of those are niche or small releases. So realistically you're taking like 3 to 4 high profile exclusives per year. The vast majority of games were third party, 90% of which were on PC.

There was always slim reasoning to own a PlayStation console if you owned a decent PC setup in the past, they would just dangle a few carrots over the console that made you think about buying it. But if you were all-in as just a console owner back then, PS3 and PS4 probably felt like a godsend. Yeah, we're dealing with a handful on industry trends currently, like live-service slop and rehashing old games which has taken the focus away from developing actual good games a little bit and momentum was hamstrung with the release in 2020. But this rosy red notion that PlayStation in the past was just raining mind-blowing exclusives all day & erruhday, it's just nostalgia talking.

If you had a PC and didn't care about physical game collecting back then? You'd of been scoffing at the notion of PS3, or PS4. For me, it's about the physical collecting mostly, which also serves as motivation to pay attention to new releases. And I have to say this constantly, but yes, 90% of the games are on the disc, despite popular belief otherwise. I'm not particularly worried about Sony shuttering the PS5 update servers in 2038, I just can't be bothered by that. Xbox is about to give up the game, Nintendo will never have decent hardware. So, I'm happy to stick with PS5 as the last serious console, which still offers an incentive to collect games for it as well.

From what I saw, Where Winds Meet looks cool, Path of Exile sort of interesting, Ballad of Antara looks good, Silent Hill of course, Monster Hunter Wilds of course looks good, you had some live-service slop naturally, and a handful of quality looking VR games which I'm sure are appreciated for those invested in the VR system. Even Dynasty Warriors is a series that I'm become a lot more interested in lately.

I really don't get why folks are pouting over this. It's not the best thing ever, or the worst. But there's some cool shit in there. This isn't E3 2008 where you see a bunch of third parties announcing stuff all at once and feel like your cup runneth over. It's not the same thing. Those games still come out for the PS5, but then you complain they're not exclusive, so doesn't make it worth owning a PS5 for those. Same situation as the past, just a perspective change for some of you who now think it's not worth collecting, or buying modern games outside of PC. That, and a lot of you guys are super jaded with gaming and don't realize it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 01:38:29 pm by Warmsignal »

dhaabi

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2024, 06:04:18 pm »
Yeah, I really disagree with the PS5 hate. It feels like so many of these former PlayStation diehards, now suddenly have Steam and a competent PC setup and they're like "Huh, why is this game console so anemic, where are the exclusives bro?"

I know this wasn't specifically directed to me, or to me at all even, but when I mentioned wanting better exclusives, I personally meant from first-party studios because those will be console exclusives to PlayStation systems. I don't expect exclusivity from any third-party publisher.

With that said, I wouldn't even call myself a fan of Sony or PlayStation. Consumers don't owe any company their allegiance, and those who offer it like you're describing seem over-the-top. I've been apart of Sony's gaming ecosystem since the beginning, and I just prefer it over Xbox and PC. Sometimes, first-party projects do catch my attention—certainly far more than Xbox, anyway—but it's not often. In fact, it's never been often. Does that bother me? No.

From what I saw, Where Winds Meet looks cool, Path of Exile sort of interesting, Ballad of Antara looks good, Silent Hill of course, Monster Hunter Wilds of course looks good, you had some live-service slop naturally, and a handful of quality looking VR games which I'm sure are appreciated for those invested in the VR system. Even Dynasty Warriors is a series that I'm become a lot more interested in lately.

I've mentioned this sentiment before in other studio presentation topics, but I'll mention it again. These events cater to millions of people, each with their own personal tastes. If even one title interests you, the event succeeded in what it set out to do. And, if there isn't one, then it's not as if there aren't dozens of other games being developed. For this specific event, mostly Silent Hill 2 and Astro Bot caught my attention, but most of the other games shown seem to have quality for fans of those genres.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 06:27:16 pm by dhaabi »

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2024, 07:09:14 pm »
I struggle to understand how any hardcore game enthusiast could look at the games shown, and not think the majority of them look promising. I read several comments in this thread which could be paraphrased "All of these new IPs just look the same, I just want my classic comfort titles back". It's kind of the old man yelling at clouds reaction. Not willing to get enthusiastic about the promise of new games, in an industry which already struggles to give us new things.

I remember some of you guys writing off Stellar Blade in the last State of Play like their was nothing interesting at all shown, and it went on to smash sales records in April. It was a fantastic success, and I'm happy that it did so well. You gotta love to see it. I want more of that for the games industry, but it's got to start with at least some degree of optimism and open-mindedness on the part of the consumer. You can't just chase after the past all of the time and demand more rehash of Uncharted or Sly Cooper. The new games look good, we should give them a chance. I think it's healthy to have some optimism and actually want to enjoy new things. It's a novel idea, but I believe in it.

I'll admit I'm even a bit close-minded still when it comes to what I call "live-service slop", because I assume that I can't have fun with a live-service game. That's based on nothing but a stupid stubbornness on my part. However, there's plenty of single player games here, and those games literally hold up, because they don't get shut down in a year's time. That's what I want to see. Anyone making a single player game, I'm all for looking deeper into it than just the surface-level reveal trailer. There's no doubt in my mind that these will be good games, and there's a lot of folks too stubborn to want to give them a chance. They didn't see some past title they wanted to see brought back, and so the rest of it is "not interesting" and the whole thing branded as "disappointing".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 07:14:05 pm by Warmsignal »

telekill

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2024, 07:26:21 pm »
As, apparently, some of you are offended that some of us aren't pleased with Sony's offerings for the PS5 generation, keep in mind, we're allowed our opinion. And yes... I will reiterate... what was shown may cater to some, but I think it looked like crap.

Here's the thing... one crappy presentation... fine. Expected even. Two crappy presentations... well it happens. Three... you start to question what's going on. Sony has been consistently crappy for the ENTIRE generation. That's unheard of. They used to be the place where there was something for everyone. Used...to...be.

God knows what the hell their first party studios are doing outside of Wolverine, but let's set that question mark aside for a moment. There are, in fact, some fun third party games that have been announced as coming to PS5. The problem is that development time is now an ENTIRE generation for a single game. The games I'm looking forward to may not even release on PS5. That's how long it takes now. That makes it extremely difficult to overlook the tumbleweeds of Sony's first party offerings. They're relying on mediocre titles to carry the PS5 as a whole.

Greatness was on PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4. PS5 is just mediocrity. If it couldn't play PS4 titles... it would be a glorified paperweight. As someone that's been a huge fan of the brand since its launch, it's truly disheartening to see them take the piss.

Look. It doesn't even matter anymore. With everything happening in the world, gaming is the least of anyone's problems. It's just sad and frustrating on top of everything else going on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 07:43:41 pm by telekill »

dhaabi

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2024, 08:08:32 pm »
There's like five feudal Japan games here and none were Assassin's Creed Shadows, Rise of the Ronin DLC or Ghost of Tsushima 2. I don't know how people are supposed to remember the games shown when they blend in together.

There were actually zero games shown set in feudal Japan. If the three games you're referring to are Ballad of Antara, Dynasty Warriors: Origins, and Where Winds Meet, then the former is set in its own world, whereas the latter two are set in China.

I remember some of you guys writing off Stellar Blade in the last State of Play like their was nothing interesting at all shown, and it went on to smash sales records in April.

Actually, no one did that in our community, in that topic or in any other, based on search results for "stellar blade." Five people mentioned it specifically by name at that time—four praising it, one saying it wasn't for them. Another person dismissed a large portion of the event altogether, which is what I suppose you're suggesting by someone writing off Stellar Blade. Personally, the game isn't for me from everything I've gathered after its release.

The problem is that development time is now an ENTIRE generation for a single game. The games I'm looking forward to may not even release on PS5. That's how long it takes now. That makes it extremely difficult to overlook the tumbleweeds of Sony's first party offerings. They're relying on mediocre titles to carry the PS5 as a whole.

Lengthy development isn't exactly new to this generation. Likewise, subjectivity will always exist, but do you really consider Demon's Souls, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, God of War Ragnarök, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, Final Fantasy XVI, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Helldivers II, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade "medicore" "tumbleweeds"? They've all released since PlayStation 5's launch as first-party games and have gained good reception with many performing quite well in the market. If that were the case, Sony's recently reported record profits simply wouldn't be true. Millions of people play on PlayStation, so, to be it lightly, you may want to consider that you're not a part of their core demographic anymore. Personally, I've felt like that since the PlayStation 3, but it's not bothered me. Obviously, not as many first-party games are being published unlike early generations due to development times, so that immense variety just isn't there. I agree with what kamikazekeeg mentioned before, that smaller games should be considered to be a part of the lineup to pad out any dry period, but that decision is on Sony, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 08:24:20 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2024, 08:36:38 pm »
I struggle to understand how any hardcore game enthusiast could look at the games shown, and not think the majority of them look promising. I read several comments in this thread which could be paraphrased "All of these new IPs just look the same, I just want my classic comfort titles back". It's kind of the old man yelling at clouds reaction. Not willing to get enthusiastic about the promise of new games, in an industry which already struggles to give us new things.

I remember some of you guys writing off Stellar Blade in the last State of Play like their was nothing interesting at all shown, and it went on to smash sales records in April. It was a fantastic success, and I'm happy that it did so well. You gotta love to see it. I want more of that for the games industry, but it's got to start with at least some degree of optimism and open-mindedness on the part of the consumer. You can't just chase after the past all of the time and demand more rehash of Uncharted or Sly Cooper. The new games look good, we should give them a chance. I think it's healthy to have some optimism and actually want to enjoy new things. It's a novel idea, but I believe in it.

I'll admit I'm even a bit close-minded still when it comes to what I call "live-service slop", because I assume that I can't have fun with a live-service game. That's based on nothing but a stupid stubbornness. However, there's plenty of single player games here, and those games literally hold up, because they don't get shut down in a year's time. That's what I want to see. Anyone making a single player game, I'm all for looking deeper into it than just the surface-level reveal trailer. There's no doubt in my mind that these will be good games, and there's a lot of folks too stubborn to want to give them a chance. They didn't see some title they wanted to see brought back, and so the rest of it is "not interesting" and the whole thing branded as disappointing.

It's one thing to be open-minded, but I think there's also a thing that there are so many games coming out there is just no way to justify being excited for all of them, so for me, I can only show interest in the games that have direct appeal to me, and established brands I love are gonna take precedent.  I always look forward to cool new games, I just beat Dave the Diver yesterday, it was dope, but there wasn't a whole lot of new at this showing and the ones that are new, are questionable.

Behemoth is new, but it's a PSVR 2 game, so most people will never play it.  Concord is new, but it's in a heavily over-saturated genre, the same boat with Marvel Rivals, and I don't really need another hero shooter.  Ballad of Antara and Infinity Nikki are new, but they are F2P games and therefore time sinks and I already play a few F2P/live service games.  Concord and Marvel Rivals are going to fit into this part too, same for Path of Exile 2.  There's only so much time for games like that.  Where Winds Meet is new, but this type of action adventure game is hitting some pretty high saturation levels itself and I can't and don't really want to play them all.  That sorta just leaves Astro Bot, which most folks were happy to see.

People like new things, but people also want stuff that their system is known for.  I'm not one of the folks outright hating on the PS5, it's been okay enough for me, but I'm not gonna deny that it's been kinda lacking and this State of Play didn't do Sony a lot of favors.

telekill

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2024, 09:05:42 pm »

The problem is that development time is now an ENTIRE generation for a single game. The games I'm looking forward to may not even release on PS5. That's how long it takes now. That makes it extremely difficult to overlook the tumbleweeds of Sony's first party offerings. They're relying on mediocre titles to carry the PS5 as a whole.

Lengthy development isn't exactly new to this generation. Likewise, subjectivity will always exist, but do you really consider Demon's Souls, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, God of War Ragnarök, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, Final Fantasy XVI, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Helldivers II, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade "medicore" "tumbleweeds"?.

Astrobot was a fun freebie at launch. I'm in the middle of God od War Ragnarok and not enjoying it that much. Helldivers 2 is fun only when playing with friends. So yeah, I consider them highlights of the tumbleweeds.

That said, I realize I'm not the demographic anymore. It's been very apparent for the better part of a decade now. And as I stated, gaming isn't that important in the long scheme of things. We're all watching the world implode. It's important to pay attention but I wish there were releases of favorite series to take my mind off of things. Give me a bit of distraction from the never ending black pilling.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2024, 10:04:35 am »

I remember some of you guys writing off Stellar Blade in the last State of Play like their was nothing interesting at all shown, and it went on to smash sales records in April.

Actually, no one did that in our community, in that topic or in any other, based on search results for "stellar blade." Five people mentioned it specifically by name at that time—four praising it, one saying it wasn't for them. Another person dismissed a large portion of the event altogether, which is what I suppose you're suggesting by someone writing off Stellar Blade. Personally, the game isn't for me from everything I've gathered after its release.

I count at least two who doodoo’d on the presentation as a whole, and also count “waiting for price drop” to mean maybe it looks worth playing just not worth supporting, but take that however you will.

There’s just so much 9th gen whining that goes on, it’s difficult to recall which thread, which community, which website it’s coming from. I hear it so much, but this far from being a terrible console or generation. We keep getting new games and more announcements, but the droning remains a constant.

dhaabi

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2024, 03:21:06 pm »
I wish there were releases of favorite series to take my mind off of things.

When a book series ends, fans don't stop reading. When a TV series ends, fans don't stop watching TV. And when a movie series ends, fans don't stop watching movies. Instead, those fans will either explore into the creator's expanded works or find similar, alternative ones. Maybe those substitutes won't be as good, but sometimes they are and may even lead to exploring further where new interests may be discovered. If anything, they certainly fill a gap.

You've listed several of your favorite series in this topic and in others, and it's easy to say that other options to those games certainly exist. As I'm sure you're aware, when someone strictly adheres to works bound to a singular series, they have an extremely limited pool of options, so it's inevitable they'll feel as if what's available to them is lacking. In the past, I've suggested branching out into more of the PlayStation 4's library since plenty of alternative options to some of your favorite games exist for you to try at an affordable price. I really think it'd fill that gap as you wait for new entries to your more cherished franchises.

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2024, 01:03:52 pm »

I'll admit I'm even a bit close-minded still when it comes to what I call "live-service slop", because I assume that I can't have fun with a live-service game. That's based on nothing but a stupid stubbornness on my part. However, there's plenty of single player games here, and those games literally hold up, because they don't get shut down in a year's time. That's what I want to see. Anyone making a single player game, I'm all for looking deeper into it than just the surface-level reveal trailer. There's no doubt in my mind that these will be good games, and there's a lot of folks too stubborn to want to give them a chance. They didn't see some past title they wanted to see brought back, and so the rest of it is "not interesting" and the whole thing branded as "disappointing".
I'm choosing Sly Cooper over the 715th soulless Soulslike 10 out of 10 times.

telekill

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2024, 09:49:11 am »
I wish there were releases of favorite series to take my mind off of things.

When a book series ends, fans don't stop reading. When a TV series ends, fans don't stop watching TV. And when a movie series ends, fans don't stop watching movies. Instead, those fans will either explore into the creator's expanded works or find similar, alternative ones. Maybe those substitutes won't be as good, but sometimes they are and may even lead to exploring further where new interests may be discovered. If anything, they certainly fill a gap.

You've listed several of your favorite series in this topic and in others, and it's easy to say that other options to those games certainly exist. As I'm sure you're aware, when someone strictly adheres to works bound to a singular series, they have an extremely limited pool of options, so it's inevitable they'll feel as if what's available to them is lacking. In the past, I've suggested branching out into more of the PlayStation 4's library since plenty of alternative options to some of your favorite games exist for you to try at an affordable price. I really think it'd fill that gap as you wait for new entries to your more cherished franchises.

I appreciate you dismissing my concerns entirely.

Over the last week, I actually had a lot of fun returning to the PS1 Single Trac games -- Jet Moto (platinumed the PS4 version) and Twisted Metal 2 (playing "couch" co-op via online shareplay with my brother like old times). I'm not stopping playing games. There's nothing for me in the current gen, so I'm returning to the older ones.

dhaabi

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2024, 11:10:22 am »
I appreciate you dismissing my concerns entirely.

None of your concerns were dismissed and were actually addressed across several posts in this topic, although not all replies were specifically responding to your posts. In brevity, these are your three concerns which share overlap with another:
1) Game development is lengthy.
2) Your most wanted titles have neither been released for the current generation nor have been confirmed to being developed at all.
3) Sony isn't consistent with their output and in maintaining their quality to adhere to your specific preferences.

Lengthy development isn't exactly new to this generation.

Perhaps this could have been expanded upon, but it's rather straightforward. Many games are announced prior to their release to accomplish many things, but these three things specifically for this discussion: to create audience excitement, to sell systems, and to secure funding from investors. As the amount of time between announcement and release has increased considerably within the last decade mostly in regards to funding, it's not unheard of for certain AAA projects to cost upwards of $100 million to develop. So, if a large project is being teased for the first time, it's more often than not going to be released years later. At this point, the practice is not new nor should be a surprise.

I've mentioned this sentiment before in other studio presentation topics, but I'll mention it again. These events cater to millions of people, each with their own personal tastes.

Millions of people play on PlayStation, so, to be it lightly, you may want to consider that you're not a part of their core demographic anymore.

Really, your second and third concerns share considerabe overlap and are related some to your first concern. At this point, the takeaway is that, for anyone with demanding expectations (and given what is known about modern AAA game development), they should probably adjust their expectations regarding a project's release window to be more realistic. Additionally, they may want to question if whether they need to support that company, whether at all or in that moment. I've known several people who only move from one generation to the next once a third has been announced or released, for various reasons which include the system's library being much more substantial. I'll again mention that, since the PlayStation 5's release, nearly every first-party project has been a financial success with strong player reception. You seem to feel oppositely while adhering that many of these games are instead bad. We all have different expectations and preferences when it comes to anything, but widely discrediting even a small number of the aforementioned games as bad—even when they're not aligned to one's personal preferences—only reflects one's narrow definition of what success is.

Over the last week, I actually had a lot of fun returning to the PS1 Single Trac games -- Jet Moto (platinumed the PS4 version) and Twisted Metal 2 (playing "couch" co-op via online shareplay with my brother like old times). I'm not stopping playing games. There's nothing for me in the current gen, so I'm returning to the older ones.

All that said, it's good to hear you're still able to find enjoyment with older titles. From how you discuss video games on a general level, it genuinely felt from the perspective of someone else that you either couldn't do that or hadn't considered revisiting such games, which explains my previous post. Here's hoping the Summer Game Fest has something for you.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2024, 06:48:32 pm »
Welp, got our Bloodborne content finally, by way of Astro Bot outfits and maybe a Bloodborne themed spooky level lol

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/06/astro-bot-editions-pre-order-bonuses-detailed