Author Topic: May 30th Playstation State of Play  (Read 2037 times)

telekill

May 30th Playstation State of Play
« on: May 29, 2024, 02:17:59 pm »
It's the start of the season of game announcements. Looks like Sony is going first with their 30 min State of Play they announced for tomorrow... May 30th.

The State of Play will begin at 3pm PT / 6pm ET / 11pm BST | May 31 12am CEST / 7am JST.

Let the predictions begin!

The one thing that's a good possibility is the rumored new Astrobot game. Aside from that, I expect nothing. Why? This generation has been abysmal in terms of generation exclusive games that are worth my while... or at least that caught my attention enough to warrant a purchase. The only current gen exclusive titles I've purchased are:

A Plague Tale Requiem
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Helldivers 2

That's an average of one good generation exclusive game per year for the PS5.  :-\

Hopefully that changes soon.

Re: May 30th Playstation State of Play
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 03:34:05 pm »
The only actual want is Bloodborne, every event I hope for Bloodborne, but every year I'm left disappointed, but one day it'll happen, and then I can finally rest lol

Otherwise I'm not expecting too much.  Another Sony property I'd like to see return is Twisted Metal, the show is going into its second season and I think it's time for that to get a return.  Wolverine could possibly be teased at the end of the show, it's said to be for games this year, but that's a good bonus bit for sure and would work with the new movie coming out soon.

Can't really think of anything else I'd kinda expect to see or would be really amped to see.  I still have Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth to finish, Elden Ring DLC is coming out in less than a month, so I'm certainly not short of stuff to play right now, but a fun surprise would be welcomed.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 07:07:08 pm »
This being a State of Play instead of a PlayStation Showcase is concerning. Not looking forward to more Fairgame$ which was identical to SEGA's Hyenas which SEGA cancelled before release despite it being finished. Rumors are the game Concord is kind of like a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, doesn't sound the most enticing but we'll see. Bungie's Marathon game is probably too far away to be shown again. I think Sony forgot about the game Convallaria. No interest in Ghost of Tsushima 2, the unnecessary Until Dawn remake, Death Stranding 2. Bluepoint's original IP could finally be shown. Maybe Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica can close the show with a reveal of their next game but probably not if Ghost of Tsushima 2 is here.. the saving grace will be Astro Bot.

Otherwise I'm not expecting too much.  Another Sony property I'd like to see return is Twisted Metal, the show is going into its second season and I think it's time for that to get a return.  Wolverine could possibly be teased at the end of the show, it's said to be for games this year, but that's a good bonus bit for sure and would work with the new movie coming out soon.
Twisted Metal was in development at Firesprite but was unfortunately cancelled earlier this year. I was looking forward to it. Now I'll just hope Sweet Tooth shows up in Fortnite where he makes perfect sense for the current season. Car combat has a massive focus this season. Worth checking out for Twisted Metal fans.

Wolverine suffered huge leaks and is further away than they made it seem publicly. They were targeting a 2026 release before the leaks which may have set them back some.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 07:48:52 pm »
Death Stranding 2 would be normally something I'd be excited to see, but I'm going with no more trailers/video on it from now on, I got the last one, it was enough, i just need it and I don't want to see anymore, because they always show too much lol Plus I know that's a 2025 release, so best to save my hype till we get closer to release.

Twisted Metal was in development at Firesprite but was unfortunately cancelled earlier this year. I was looking forward to it. Now I'll just hope Sweet Tooth shows up in Fortnite where he makes perfect sense for the current season. Car combat has a massive focus this season. Worth checking out for Twisted Metal fans.

I must've missed that info.  The only good thing about that reading up on it now, it was apparently meant to be a live service game and it hadn't even been greenlit at the time, so maybe instead of us getting a bad Twisted Metal built around a live service model, we can eventually get a a proper Twisted Metal game with a good singleplayer experience alongside decent regular multiplayer. 

And yeah, that's what had me interested in Twisted Metal lately as I've been playing the new Fortnite update and while the vehicles aren't actually on the level of a Twisted Metal car, at least with playing solo, it gives that vibe.  Heck, I'd be happy with just like a remaster of Twisted Metal 2 or something.  Loved that game.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 08:34:29 pm »
I share your negative feelings about this generation so far. I was looking at my PS5 games, and barely any are exclusive, and there are very few games in retrospect I'd have purchased the console for that weren't also on the PS4 in a slightly downgraded way. But anyhow, back to the subject.

Sony has already announced there aren't any first party titles they're working on that will be released this year, so that only leaves some speculation that they may drop a teaser for something. My money is on Uncharted since it's been a while since one of those games came out. My guess is it takes place about 10 years after U4 and it's primarily about Nathan's daughter, and the game is a sort of handing off of the torch. I'm not a huge uncharted fan, but this is probably going to be the "big" surprise I'm guessing.

Other than that, I'm expecting a ton of underwhelming indie announcements no one will care about, maybe an FF7 Birth DLC sub game, and maybe, possibly. cool third party announcement. I know Capcom is busy making another RE re-remake and a teaser for that alone with make my day. I also expect maybe EA will finally reveal gameplay and something more substantial for Dragon Age, although I can see them saving that for Summer Gamefest,

Overall, my expectations are set pretty low, all things considered, but I guess we'll see.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 08:41:23 pm »
Other than that, I'm expecting a ton of underwhelming indie announcements no one will care about, maybe an FF7 Birth DLC sub game, and maybe, possibly. cool third party announcement. I know Capcom is busy making another RE re-remake and a teaser for that alone with make my day. I also expect maybe EA will finally reveal gameplay and something more substantial for Dragon Age, although I can see them saving that for Summer Gamefest,

The rumor is they are working on a RE: Zero and RE: CV remake, which are probably the right ones to remake as I think they would benefit being kinda considered the weaker games of the series.  I was wanting an RE1 remake because I just like that setting more and I'd love to have a full RE1, 2, and 3, but I'm sure they'll get to it eventually lol

telekill

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 08:12:53 am »
I have my staple of games that would get me excited, should they be announced, but this late in the game, I'm not going to hold my breath for them.

1. Uncharted continuation (possible)
2. Dino Crisis Remake (Capcom is still focused on RE games)
3. Shenmue 4 (Yu Suzuki recently stated he hasn't even started on it)
4. Warhawk

Then I'd still enjoy updates on the following already announced games:

1. Mass Effect 5 (probably won't happen until N7 day)
2. Instinction (possible)
3. New Tomb Raider (possible -- we're 2 years away from the series 30th anniversary)
4. Witcher 4 or 1 Remake (unlikely)

So that's 8-9 potential avenues that will make me feel this wasn't a complete waste of a show. There's also the possibility they could show something not on my list that looks interesting (doubtful). We'll see what happens. The kids loved Astrobot so I'll probably get that for them, but it's far more difficult to get me excited for anything anymore.

I'm still very much considering PS5 could be my last game system.

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2024, 11:21:50 am »
This being a State of Play instead of a PlayStation Showcase is concerning. Not looking forward to more Fairgame$ which was identical to SEGA's Hyenas which SEGA cancelled before release despite it being finished. Rumors are the game Concord is kind of like a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, doesn't sound the most enticing but we'll see. Bungie's Marathon game is probably too far away to be shown again. I think Sony forgot about the game Convallaria. No interest in Ghost of Tsushima 2, the unnecessary Until Dawn remake, Death Stranding 2. Bluepoint's original IP could finally be shown. Maybe Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica can close the show with a reveal of their next game but probably not if Ghost of Tsushima 2 is here.. the saving grace will be Astro Bot.

"Concerning" sounds over-dramatic, wouldn't you say? I don't think my personal tastes in games at any given time have ever really aligned to what Sony focuses on, so it's not surprising that none of these named projects interest me. If the live-service business model that's forced as the backbone to many modern games ever loses its prominence, perhaps that could change, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. The only exception to the above games listed that's caught my attention is the Until Dawn remake, but it's not something I'd feel urgent about buying, if I were to buy it at all. Does it really need a remake? Not really, no. It's been reported that the fixed camera angles are being removed in lieu of a third-person perspective, which I think won't be as effective in establishing a horror atmosphere, but I suppose there needs to be a major upfront difference between the two. Obviously, other smaller aspects such as new interactions and locations have also been mentioned, but I don't imagine these additions to be expansive.

The rumor is they are working on a RE: Zero and RE: CV remake, which are probably the right ones to remake as I think they would benefit being kinda considered the weaker games of the series.

Neither Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica are known to be weak games. In fact, the latter is often regarded as the best entry in the series. At this point, Capcom seems to be remaking every major older entry in the series so far, so it's inevitable for these to receive the same treatment too.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2024, 11:32:26 am »
At this point, Capcom seems to be remaking every major older entry in the series so far, so it's inevitable for these to receive the same treatment too.[/font]

Code Veronica was great. I still consider it to have the best intro in the series and one of the best intro's in gaming of all time. Definitely could use the graphical boost the other's got.

A prediction for two years from now is that they'll re-remake the original Resident Evil. It'll be the only one left of the originals (PS1-GC era games) that will have had yet to get the treatment. 2026 will also be the 30th anniversary of the series, so if you're going to remake a title that's already been remade... that would be the time to do it.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2024, 06:12:31 pm »
They've spent way too long on Concord for just another hero shooter game lol
God of War: Ragnarok on PC for those that want it.
Dynasty Warriors Origins.
Ballad of Antara, some sort of action adventure game, maybe Souls-Like? Not sure.
Skydance's Behemoth, PSVR2 game so most people won't even play it, but it looks sorta neat. Some interesting gameplay mechanics.
Alien VR game.  Both of the trailers for these VR games looked kinda rough quality rise lol
Where Winds Meet, action adventure game, general Souls/Sekiro/Nioh type feel.
If there was a game that didn't need a remaster, it's Until Dawn lol
I don't really have any expectations for the Silent Hill 2 remake, I never cared about the original games and this will be my first time playing the series other than a little bit of Silent Hill 4 back in the day, but getting these style of games without tank controls is something I'm looking forward to.
Hell yeah, Monster Hunter Wilds! More mount ability stuff, multiple weapon types at once, possibly changing terrain...can't wait.
New Astrobot game.  Looks charming as heck.  Sony needs way more games like this and not ones pushing for the most realism lol

Overall, fairly weak showing for me personally, I was happy to see Monster Hunter Wilds gameplay, but that's a game out next year and isn't a Sony game, Silent Hill 2 Remake could be okay, but I'm not amped for it, and that just leaves Astro Bot, which will be fun, but it's that a smaller game. Welp, guess its time to wait for Summer Game Fest next week.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 06:39:13 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2024, 06:36:35 pm »
12 minutes dedicated to "we have Guardians of the Galaxy at home" just to show the real Guardians of the Galaxy later on is a real big brain move from Sony.

There's like five feudal Japan games here and none were Assassin's Creed Shadows, Rise of the Ronin DLC or Ghost of Tsushima 2. I don't know how people are supposed to remember the games shown when they blend in together.

As predicted, Astro Bot was the saving grace of this rather awful show.

telekill

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2024, 07:01:25 pm »
Another incredibly weak showing from Sony. As WeirdFeline pointed out, half the games shown blended together -- could have been the same game if they didn't have title announcements between.

If that's it for Sony's 2024 "showcases" then it's very apparent that Sony is sacrificing PS5's first party lineup. I've never seen this much fail from the company during a generation and I've been in the Playstation camp since Christmas 1995. All these reports that PS5 is Sony's most profitable system ever flabergasts me. I don't get it.

dhaabi

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2024, 07:33:56 pm »
I don't really have any expectations for the Silent Hill 2 remake, I never cared about the original games and this will be my first time playing the series other than a little bit of Silent Hill 4 back in the day, but getting these style of games without tank controls is something I'm looking forward to.

Just for the record, Silent Hill 2 has always offered players the option to utilize tank or directional controls. I doubt they'll preserve that choice for the remake based on all the trailers shown so far, though.

There's like five feudal Japan games here and none were Assassin's Creed Shadows, Rise of the Ronin DLC or Ghost of Tsushima 2. I don't know how people are supposed to remember the games shown when they blend in together.

The same way players always have. That sort of setting isn't uncommon, as dozens of games utilize it. The problem lies in gameplay, as nearly every modern game with such setting looks and plays the same on a general level.

All these reports that PS5 is Sony's most profitable system ever flabergasts me. I don't get it.

It's not that surprising. Sony's PlayStation 5 has been on the market for 3.5 years and has yet to receive any kind of price drop. Software prices have been raised, alongside the price for their subscription services. There has been a notable increase in remastered titles being sold again at a premium price, which I would assume yields a large profit. The live service model isn't going away anytime soon and comes across as if every multiplayer game implements it, so reading about that huge financial percentage increase for it is to be expected. Related to that last point, the rise of digital gaming in general can't be ignored either, and there's even a dedicated system without a disc drive. So, there is less money being lost on retail products, including the manufacturing process and the price cut retailers earn. Despite record profits, they'll downsize or close entire studios.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2024, 07:41:43 pm »
Seeing stuff like Astro Bot makes me wish that Sony would just go hard on smaller to mid-tier stuff way more.  Everything doesn't need to be crazy high end stuff like Spider-Man, God of War, Last of Us, etc, it all doesn't need to be 10+ million sellers, bring back Jak & Daxter, Little Big Planet, Twisted Metal, Sly Cooper, Infamous, and other dormant properties they got.  They need more inbetween games rather than banking on huge games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and takes many years to make.

Just for the record, Silent Hill 2 has always offered players the option to utilize tank or directional controls. I doubt they'll preserve that choice for the remake based on all the trailers shown so far, though.

I don't think I knew that at the time, but looking back it with a video, the controls seem abit scuff still.  I just prefer the over-the-shoulder camera view for games like this, it's been great for Resident Evil, so it'll be a nice way to experience this game.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2024, 08:19:27 pm »
Well that was about as bad as I expected. The only two things that caught my attention were the additional Silent Hill 2 remake gameplay + release date, and also Astro Bot which looks mildly interesting. Unfortunately I still don't feel any better about owning a PS5 this gen. It's more or less my GT7 machine, with a game or two played here and there. I'm not too optimistic the PS5 has much longer to go before it's replaced since Sony has already said its in the tail end of its life despite it only becoming widely available maybe a year and a half ago. All well...