Author Topic: Virtual Console vs. Nintendo eShop  (Read 1817 times)

tpugmire

Virtual Console vs. Nintendo eShop
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:28:59 am »
It seems that someone has been adding the same games to both of these categories, and before I go changing stuff I want some clarification.  Is there a separate 3DS Virtual Console, or should these all go under Nintendo eShop?  I was under the impression that the Virtual Console was only a Wii thing.  Here's a few examples of what I mean:

Alleyway eShop
http://vgcollect.com/item/26482

Alleyway Virtual Console
http://vgcollect.com/item/26494

Game & Watch Gallery eShop
http://vgcollect.com/item/26483

Game & Watch Gallery Virtual Console
http://vgcollect.com/item/26497
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

jobocan

Re: Virtual Console vs. Nintendo eShop
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37:24 am »
Virtual Console is also on 3DS, albeit for portable games, for the most part. It just so happens that they're on the eshop.

Basically, there's 3 different types of games that can come from the 3DS eshop: 3DSware, DSiware (which are technically in the DS section) and Virtual Console. Kind of like the Wii with Wiiware games and VC games.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering why the 3DS is under the DS tag in the Browse page, since they are different consoles :P

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:23:52 am »
So should we change "Nintendo eShop" to "3DS Virtual Console", and change "Virtual Console" to "Wii Virtual Console"?  Then we would have to add "3DSware" and "DSiware".  Bah, this is too confusing...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:02 am »
Well DSiware is already there I think, so we'd just need to change Nintendo eshop to 3DSware and add a 3DS Virtual console section (and migrate all the 3DS VC games to that).

scott

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:31 am »
Ya that sounds like a good solution. I can add the 3DS VC section to the database, we'd have to wait for matt to change the name of the eShop to 3DSware though since I don't have access to that ability.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:17 pm »
I like the simple "3DS VC" and "Wii VC" ... all the wiiware and stuff is part of it imo.

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:23 pm »
I like the simple "3DS VC" and "Wii VC" ... all the wiiware and stuff is part of it imo.

I think we need one for each system for VC and one for the other "ware"s. The VC is JUST the emulated games, IMHO.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:51 pm »
Well considering Nintendo has differentiated Ware and VC for us already. We have to stick to those formats, which means we need cats for wii vc, wiiware, dsiware, 3dsware and 3ds vc and so on. And can't just glom them all into a "VC" cat for the sake of ease.

scott

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:52 pm »
Added a cat for the 3DS Virtual Console [NA], I didn't get a chance to added [EU] or [JP] versions yet though. But we can start moving the VC games from the eShop to that now.

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »
Also, I may have forgot to follow the example of the PSN for PSP and PS3, and may need Matt to make changes to the name of it to something like Virtual Console (Wii) and Virtual Console (3DS). Or something.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »
Bumping this since it's related, but currently eShop is under the Nintendo DS tag (in the browse screen)... There are currently a bunch of 3DS items in there which obviously can't be played on the regular DS.  Are there items in the current eShop that can be played on the DSi?  I thought the DSi Shop and the eShop are different storefronts (using different currency, too).

The eShop is a mess, anyway, I know...  :-\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:42 am »
Ya next time we meet up for work night (haven't been able to due to sicknesses), I was planning on trying to sort that mess out. :\

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »
People might not have seen this in the dupe thread, so I thought I'd repost here to get some feedback :P:

Thought I'd see what y'all thought.  I thought I'd go and edit the 3DS Ambassador titles with info and images and was editing the Balloon Fight record when I realized that there is both a Wii VC version and the 3DS VC version (only available to Ambassadors and not available for purchase through the eShop).

I'd already changed the image to the Wii VC shop image and realized that maybe this one was the 3DS VC version.  A dozen folks already have it, but of course I don't know which one they have.  I'd ultimately like to have two records here, but I just wanted to see which one the exisiting one should be: Wii VC or 3DS VC?

As for the rest of the titles, I think they might have originally been cataloged as VC instead of 3DS VC.  Easy to do considering that the game icon on the system menu just says "virtual console" underneath the title screen of the game.  I'll probably change them over to 3DS VC when I edit them.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
hmm... bump?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:46 pm »
Well considering Nintendo has differentiated Ware and VC for us already. We have to stick to those formats, which means we need cats for wii vc, wiiware, dsiware, 3dsware and 3ds vc and so on. And can't just glom them all into a "VC" cat for the sake of ease.

How about one BIG cat?