Author Topic: Modifying a system  (Read 2070 times)

soera

Modifying a system
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:26 pm »
Im wanting to play some games that are pretty costly and some of them I dont even have the system either. Ive seen a Wii that someone modified to play all the Dragon Warrior games and wondering if someone knows how to do that. Id love to be able to play the following :

Tecmo Secret of the Stars
Magic Knight Rayearth
Vay
Popful Mail
Albert Odyssey
Crusaders of Centy

I dont know much about emulation either but any way to play these games reliably on a modded system or emulator would be fine for me.

Re: Modifying a system
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:15 am »
Wii hacking is pretty easy... here is the guide Ive used for the newer Wii's:

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

Once its been hacked you can load emulators to a SD card and load from the HomeBrew Channel.

I still prefer the original Xbox to the Wii for emulation though. It can output HD 720p or 1080i...

Also I'd keep talk of getting roms of games you don't own to a minimum. Its a touchy subject for some....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:06:29 am by pceslayer »

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:14:40 am »
and if you wanna play wii games that you Burned on a disk their is a way: http://www.modchip.ca/store/home.php

soera

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:49:56 am »
Heh I know its a touchy subject ... but every game I have played in life up to this date, I have paid for. Its about time I get a few roms like most other people have.

Ill check out that thing you linked.

scott

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:57:27 am »
Would just like to point out, Crusader of Centy is one of my all time fav Genesis games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:56:18 am »
Yeah I want to play all those games. I just am already strapped on money and the games I listed are pretty expensive and some of them Id have to buy the system for them too.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
and if you wanna play wii games that you Burned on a disk their is a way: http://www.modchip.ca/store/home.php

If you have a older wii model (white before 2009) you can use the softmod to play DVD-Rs using a backup loader. no chip needed

or you could always just use a USB loader and play from SD or a USB device(thumb, HDD etc.). Usb loaders now support GameCube images.

amauriel

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »
Ronalopolis took an external hard drive and put it inside of a gutted NES we found years ago. Then he wired the an LED for the drive access light to the power light (so the NES power light flickers when the drive is being accessed). We use that for our soft-modded Wii, so it fits right in on the shelf. It was REALLY easy to do.

Like I mentioned in the emulation thread, I don't use emulation for any games unless region locking is a problem. He's played Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen (Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) on there because there was no U.S. release but there was a fan translation patch for it. I played Another Code R: A Journey Into Lost Memories (sequel to Trace Memory) since it was released in Europe, so an English version exists, but Cing is now out of business so I figure it'll never make it here, and I played through Captain Rainbow on it, because there's no way in Hell that'll ever get out of Japan. If it does, I'll gladly buy it. Maybe I'll even buy copies for other people, just so support it. Transgender Birdo's plight was too hilarious to keep to myself.

Anyway, that's all we've ever used our mod for. I buy every game I can, and I feel I have extremely justifiable reasons for these. (Side note: The sequel to Hotel Dusk, which is also Cing, also never got an American release. But since it was for the region-free DS, I gladly imported it instead.)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

atariboy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

If you have a older wii model (white before 2009) you can use the softmod to play DVD-Rs using a backup loader. no chip needed

or you could always just use a USB loader and play from SD or a USB device(thumb, HDD etc.). Usb loaders now support GameCube images.

I have my Wii softmodded with USB loader and use a extenal drive that my games are on, I would recommend this if you do have an older Wii, cuz it doesn't cost anything to softmod it. My only problem is that my Wii is old enough for USB Loader but it will not read DVD-R discs not really sure why, but it really is not a big issue.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw