Author Topic: Consoles you like and dont like  (Read 6632 times)

jobocan

Re: Consoles you like and dont like
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
I generally don't like or dislike consoles... Yes I have an affinity for the "retro", and the last 2 Sony home consoles and Nintendo handhelds... but overall, if a system has games I like, I don't really care about the system itself.

That said, if there's ever a console that I can say that I dislike... it would probably be the Xbox 360. Partly for the reason pacpix explained, but I have a few other complaints.
Not to say there aren't any good games on it (that would be dumb and just plain wrong), but it's sorely lacking proper support, as almost all the good games it gets are also on PC and/or PS3. I dislike the controller and its terrible D-pad. I hate that you have to pay to play online when the competition has the same feature for free. I hate the menu system, it's annoying to use and it's hard to find anything on there. I hate the fact that it started the whole "little kids screaming racial and homosexual slurs online" BS that makes all gamers look bad (and made me stop gaming online completely). I hate that it manages to be noisier than a Dreamcast (even the considerably less noisy slim version, the original 360 might as well be a jet engine). I hate that it started the whole "achievements" thing when it's really not needed or useful at all. I hate that multiplatform games have to be dumbed down on either the PS3 or 360 (depends on the dev) to play properly on the 360 (Like how FFXIII lost actual content in both versions to make it fit on fewer discs on the 360). The fact that most big games are multiplatform anyways doesn't help, though that's not the specifically 360's fault.
There's just a lot of crap that started this generation on the 360 (and perpetuate on both the 360 and PS3) that I'm not terribly happy about, and that's what makes me "dislike" it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:08 pm »
Here are links to the ones I mentioned.

Thanks for those links, Soera :)

The 1st one (for the PSX) looks interesting...

However, at the moment, my hardware/platforms is limited to:

(1) launch, "FAT" 60 Gig PS3 (with b/c for almost all of the PSX & PS2 games),

(1) "Slim" PS3 (0nly has b/c for PSX games),

(1) "Slim" PS2 (also has PSX b/c),

(1) Nintendo Game-Cube,

(1) Nintendo DSi-XL hand-held, and

(1) PSP 3000 (w/ ability to link/play its games on my tv).

...so, really, I wouldn't have much use for the Nintendo & X-Box controllers.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »
That last controller has a version for almost every system from the Gamecube era to the current systems (even including PC).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:18 pm »
That last controller has a version for almost every system from the Gamecube era to the current systems (even including PC).

Ah, thanks for clarifying that for me :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
Like:

Saturn - Such a great system imo, so many excellent games.  Frequently the best versions of multi-platform games found their home on this system.  If you're willing to import the options are overwhelming.  It's current downside is it's EXPENSIVE!

Game Gear - I just recently got into this system and it's been a blast.  The worst part about it is the hardware >.< which is why I choose to emulate.

Dislike:

N64 - It's 3D growing pains were horrible for the most part, the exception being 1st party games.  IMO not one decent RPG for the system and I was afraid if I looked wrong at the controller it would break on me.  I own this system ONLY for Mario Kart 64

Wii - I'd like to say I'm not a sega fanboy, I loved the NES, SNES, and all the gameboy versions over the years.  I have purchased systems in the past only to play a single game and I still don't own a Wii.  Many will disagree with me but I just don't find it exciting.  I've been to friends houses and watched them spend more time setting up their ugly Mii characters then playing games.  I could go on-and-on for this system but I won't.

amauriel

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »
I've been to friends houses and watched them spend more time setting up their ugly Mii characters then playing games.  I could go on-and-on for this system but I won't.

How true this is for so many of us. Launch night we got extremely creative with our Miis (during a Twilight Princess break and after realizing how bad the Monkey Ball was). I still giggle every time I happen to boot up Wii Sports and see Hitler and Ghandi bowling together in the lane beside me.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »
Heh you mention that. I actually made some really awesome looking miis back in the day. One looks like the puppet from Saw and another looked like some sort of alien.

tpugmire

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »
I like all the consoles I own to various degrees, with one notable exception.  I loathe my CDi 450.  I bought it solely to try the Zelda games.  What a mistake that was.  On a related note, if anyone wants to buy a boxed CDi 450 in great shape, let me know.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 04:35:08 pm »
I don't really dislike any Console/Handheld really as every Console has its fair share of playable titles.

That being said the consoles I hate on the most are the Genesis(and all of its attachments) and the Playstation 2 and 3.

Thanks to fanboys and the companies themselves(Sony especially) these have become IMO the most overrated poo of their era.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »

Dislike:

Wii - I'd like to say I'm not a sega fanboy, I loved the NES, SNES, and all the gameboy versions over the years.  I have purchased systems in the past only to play a single game and I still don't own a Wii.  Many will disagree with me but I just don't find it exciting.  I've been to friends houses and watched them spend more time setting up their ugly Mii characters then playing games.  I could go on-and-on for this system but I won't.

In a few years, you'll be able to pick up a Wii really really cheap.  Do it.  Yeah, there is a TON of shovelware; but it has some great titles too.  I recently dusted mine off and have been playing to heck out of it.  Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Punch-Out!!, and the list goes one.  Most of the first party games are a blast. 

soera

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »
One of the best things about the Wii is its options. Virtual Console has a ton of games and since it plays Gamecube games as well, you could almost have the entire Zelda library playable on one system for example. I had an SNES a while back with Zelda and Super Metroid. I went onto my VC and bought Zelda, Metroid, NES Metroid, Kid Icarus, FF Mystic Quest, SMB RPG and Ys CD. I paid around $50 for all of those. I took my SNES and both games and sold them for $65. :)

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »

Dislike:

In a few years, you'll be able to pick up a Wii really really cheap.  Do it.  Yeah, there is a TON of shovelware; but it has some great titles too.  I recently dusted mine off and have been playing to heck out of it.  Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Punch-Out!!, and the list goes one.  Most of the first party games are a blast.

I know there are some really good titles, I think my biggest issue is time.

amauriel

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:19 pm »
Virtual Console has a ton of games and since it plays Gamecube games as well, you could almost have the entire Zelda library playable on one system for example.

If you had a Gameboy Player on your Gamecube, for a short time (before the DS Zeldas) you COULD play every Zelda on one console. Zelda Collector's Edition had 1, 2, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time. Then there was Four Swords Adventure and Wind Waker for the Gamecube. Then Oracle of Ages, Seasons, Minnish Cap, Link's Awakening, and then Link to the Past/Four Swords all could be played through the Gameboy Player, still on the Gamecube.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:56 pm »
Even better!