Author Topic: Development: Unofficial eBay Average Prices Added  (Read 1892 times)

Development: Unofficial eBay Average Prices Added
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »
Topic: Development: Unofficial eBay Average Prices Added

Long Description:
I have silently been working on a few projects aimed specifically at vgcollect.com. The latest release of mine is an UNOFFICIAL release for eBay Average Prices support. By UNOFFICIAL I mean that it was NOT created by the developers of vgcollect.com - it was developed by ME aka bugs181 aka Levi. This version is slower than if the support were added directly by matt. The reason for this is rather technical. In lamens terms it's because I don't have access to matt's code and can't add the support natively so I have to use work-arounds like my own server, database, and etc. I did however develop this to be extended and implemented with ease by matt - so if there is enough user demand for a feature built right into the website, give matt a shoutout in the Site Feedback thread and express your feelings on the eBay Average Prices support.

Help Wanted:
Before we get started I wanted to give a friendly shout out to any other developers or web designers here lurking around on the forum. If matt has no interest in designing this further or doesn't have the time - I will need somebody to come up with a creative design. My programming skills are pretty decent but html is my Kryptonite. I absolutely dislike it very much and we have a fairly mutual relationship with one another. Hit me up on here or PM if you have interest in helping with this project.

Features:
  • Average eBay Prices of the item you're looking at

Features to Come:
  • eBay listings for that item or similar items (almost done)

Screenshots:

How to get eBay Prices:
Install link: eBay Prices Addon
In Google Chrome, just by clicking the link above, you will be given the following prompt. Accept the User Script and then you're done.
On other browsers you will need Greasemonkey or something else that allows you to run UserScripts.

Click here to learn more about Greasemoneky for Firefox: Greasemonkey Addon

Click here to learn more about Trixe for Internet Explorer: Trixie Addon

It should be noted that I have yet to get Trixie running successfully on IE. I'll work on it when I get more time.

Prompt:

or you may be given something like this instead:

Removal Instructions:
In the off chance you don't like this addon. Whether you think it slows vgcollect.com down too much or whatever the reason may be. I can't stop you from wanting to get rid of it. To remove it just follow a few simple steps.
Open your extensions settings by typing the following in your address bar: chrome://extensions/
Locate VGCollect Friends extension and click on the little trash can located on the right side.

IMPORTANT: This addon is heavily dependant on javascript. It must be enabled for this to work properly.

This project is in ALPHA stages. There will most likely be bugs and problems to work out. Just post here if something isn't working or not working as expected. It has only been tested on Google Chrome web browser.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:56:44 pm by bugs181 »

Re: Development: Unofficial eBay Average Prices Added
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
Interesting! Keep em coming!

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:45:53 pm »
Interesting! Keep em coming!

Thank you. Just as an important note though. These are all temporary until matt can come up with a more permanent solution for developers to contribute to the project. It should be noted that matt has personally shown interest in this particular addon so it may only be a matter of time before you see this showing up in the official category.

madmax

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:20:48 am »
Interesting! I like this.
I'm going to give it a try and let you know how it works out :)

How are you going to deal with carts, cib, sealed and vga? What I mean is that a vga game can really offset the price of a cart.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:22:46 am by madmax »

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:24 am »
Interesting! I like this.
I'm going to give it a try and let you know how it works out :)

Please do! I'm interested in how it will work out for everyone. If it doesn't seem to be working for you then let me know and i'll find a solution for you.

How are you going to deal with carts, cib, sealed and vga? What I mean is that a vga game can really offset the price of a cart.

Sure, later I could actually expand this functionality more. Especially once we get an official developers corner with the code base. Right now, just the average prices are gathered regardless of condition or whatnot.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »
Thanks for your hard-work & contributions to this site; Bugs  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:52:39 pm »
I really like the sound of this, I'll have to figure out how to use it on Firefox.

Thanks for working on these extra features!

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:27 pm »
Thanks for your hard-work & contributions to this site; Bugs  ;)

You're welcome. I appreciate your gratitude. =)

I really like the sound of this, I'll have to figure out how to use it on Firefox.

Thanks for working on these extra features!

Not  a problem! Just doing my small part. matt has a lot on his plate and it may not seem like it but this website takes a lot of work adding new features and fixing bugs and such. On top of that he ALWAYS goes the extra mile just to give users what they need. This is my way of helping him out. If you havn't yet - tell matt how much you appreciate his hard work in the Site Feedback section. That goes a long way!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »

Sorry for the double post but I felt it necessary. To install User Scripts on Firefox, click the following link, install Greasemonkey, and then continue with the above instructions in the first post just as if it were Chrome.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/