Author Topic: OUYA game system  (Read 6249 times)

killerchameleon

OUYA game system
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:26 am »

desocietas

Re: OUYA game system
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »
$3,116,829 now! Radonkulous!

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:14 am »
I have decided to take the plunge and get one of the $225 models, at least after I get the wife's ok :D

Now I just need to decide what I want my user name to be. I am thinking that something with future resale value would be best rather than just my normal user name.

psydswipe

killerchameleon

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:35 am »
I’m a sucker for a new system, if their willing to try something new I’m will to drop $99 on it to get in the action.  This system reminds me of the Onlive system, a lot of skepticism but so far Onlive has been grate for me so I’ll give this one a chance also.  Does anyone know if the OUYA system is going to have built in memory, memory cards or will they go with cloud gaming also?  I know Sony has picked up on the cloud gaming bandwagon and most game developers believe cloud gaming is the way to go and the way to get game prices back down to what they use to be.     

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:20:13 pm »

blipcs76

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:26 am »
It's an interesting concept, but I have ZERO interest or intent to support a game console that doesn't use physical media.  I'm a gamer and a collector; leaving out part of the equation just doesn't work for me.  I'd prefer to drop that $100 into retro games for my collection rather than ports of phone games.

killerchameleon

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:12:30 am »
I’m with you on that blipcs76 but I was a gamer before I was a collector so the gaming aspect and experience comes first for me, collecting and building a collection is just the byproduct of gaming for me.

Also I am getting a new game system for my collection

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:05:26 pm »

It's an interesting concept, but I have ZERO interest or intent to support a game console that doesn't use physical media.  I'm a gamer and a collector; leaving out part of the equation just doesn't work for me.  I'd prefer to drop that $100 into retro games for my collection rather than ports of phone games.

Why thank you, blips76!

You just helped me cut this post that I'm making almost in half :)

Not only do I feel the exact same as you in this...and, since I was about to post pretty much the exact same thing...since I couldn't have stated/said that part of it any better myself -Now- I don't *Have* to bother re-typing & repeating what you just said :P

Now, I'm not really trying to take anything away from what killerchameleon brought up in his following post, either...because I can (and do) *Totally* see his point about being a "GAMER", a "COLLECTOR"; and where being both at the same time can potentially bring up issues & circumstances where you could possibly have to be *Less* of one to be *More* of the other (that is, that by being strictly (or even primarily) a "collector") and insisting on only buying & supporting games & consoles that have/support "true" *Ownership* of the games & systems that you buy & support...via offering (at the *VERY* *LEAST*) a

*PHYSICAL* option (version/it's fine if the games *ALSO* have Digital-Download/'Cloud' versions/options/alternatives) of the games available for the system...at the same time...it's quite clear & obvious that people like blips76 (*AND* people like Myself) are lessening & limiting the amount of games/choices that we would then have access to play by *NOT* buying & supporting anything that offers *NO* physical game options at all...

At the end of the day, though...I am:

A).  A Gamer,
B).  A Collector,
C).  A "set-in-his-ways" 'Creature of Habit', and, lastly (and quite possibly, most relevantly & importantly)
D).  A grown-man who is, in *MANY* ways, undoubtedly seen by many other & younger gamers & collectors as...

*OLD-FASHIONED*.

Now, this is all fine by me since all of the things that I could consider myself (or be seen by others) as signs of being old-fashioned for...are all intentional.  These things are all of my own personal choices & preferences and simply reflect "A" over "B".

Back to addressing killerchameleon's post and thoughts & feelings regarding the loss of potential future games to play by being completely *ANTI* any 'Digital-Only' games & systems...

He's right!

By choosing to stick to supporting only games/systems that still offer games in a physical form...the more time that goes by (which, of course, will keep bringing more & more "technological advancements") if, you do indeed personally see less and less physical games (and less (to eventually *ZERO*)) actual, physical 'Ownership', rights, and options to trade & re-sell the games that you've paid for as "progress" and/or an "advancement" (which, *I* *DON'T*, btw)...then yes, undoubtedly it's a fact that the people who do support, buy, and play these games will have the access & abilities to play a great many games that I never will  ;)

You know what, though?  While (in my younger years) the very thought that "YOU" might have something (in this case, the ability to play games that I'd surely enjoy playing for myself)...I would have felt...honestly...probably...petty, spiteful, and maybe (prolly) even jealous of anyone/everyone who had something/access to something that I didn't...to the point where I would have likely went as far as to actually go & buy whatever it was that let others do/play things that I wanted to but couldn't; *even* if I knew that I'd never *USE* the damned thing :P

Now, though, w/ hundreds of unplayed (mostly Looooong-Ass RPG's & SRPG's) in my backlog - I would honestly not only be just fine w/ never owning another "new"/"next-gen" system or the games to play on it; *BUT*, I'd be secure in the knowledge that I already own enough games where I could continuously, for the remainder of my life, play nothing but games that I've never played yet :)

It's not even just some kind of "collector" vs. "gamer" kind of debate or struggle for me, either.

I'm also the same w/ my magazine subscriptions.
I never have & never will/would think to ever swich from printed paper magazines to digital ones...even if it meant that I'd get more content & get it sooner by going the digital route.

I don't have (or want, in the least) a smart phone - all I want out of a cell-phone is to be able to make/get calls.

I completely *ABHORE* where console gaming (and consoles themselves) are presently.

I don't *WANT* and I *NEVER* use more than 1/2 of the dumb-ass "media-center", "cross-connectivity", fucking HULU, Netflix, whatever the fuck other bullshit that's been added to our consoles (again, under the phrasing of "advancement"/"progress"...this stupid shit literally makes me sick  >:(

How about, we go back to consoles that only

*PLAY* THE FUCKING GAMES!!!

Lose all of this other "functionality" -
Give me back my gaming consoles that were actually consoles just for playing games on -
Back before consoles were launching for ~ $600.00, and we had to pay to buy DLC to get "the full experience", and when games (like DQ VIII) had immense amounts of content & hundreds of hours of playability...but *Didn't* have shit on the disc already that we'd have to pay more money to unlock!!!

Sorry guys - guess this has been building up in me & I needed to vent it.

/rant/blog

:'(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:08:18 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »
Yeah!  What he said!

killerchameleon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
OUYA is supporting Onlive that's a game changer.

blipcs76

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:28 am »
Building on what disgaeniac was talking about, I feel the same way about movies.  In addition to my game collection, I also have a movie collection with over 700 DVDs and nearly 200 Blu-Rays.  I like the ability to watch what I want, when I want without having to worry if the movie is available to stream or not.  If it's on my shelf, I can watch it whenever I want.  I've had stuff in my Netflix queue I was planning to watch expire and vanish.  That won't happen with a disc.  Plus the quality and features of blu-ray can't be matched by any streaming service.

If you find awesome games you like in digital-only format, that's great.  But what happens if you want to play it ten years from now and the developer is out of business?  Unless you can find somewhere that's hosting the cracked files, you'll never play it again.  It's essentially gone forever.  A disc or cartridge will work as long as the media and electronics hold up.

While services like Netflix are extremely convenient, they also expose the flaw in giving one company control over what you have access to.  And I don't blame Netflix for the lack of content, I blame Hollywood.  They, not Netflix, are the ones dictating what movies and TV shows they will allow Netflix to stream.  I really doubt you'll ever see Star Wars or Disney classics on Netflix because there's too much incentive for the studios to keep selling you those movies over and over again (I've owned The Nightmare Before Christmas on VHS, then DVD, now Blu-Ray).  And that's another huge flaw in digital distribution, we as consumers are giving complete control over what we see, listen to or play to the corporations.  They want everything to be all-digital so they can have a stranglehold on distribution and cut out both used sales and the retail middleman, therefore boosting their profits -- once physical media is gone, they can set the price at whatever they want. 

This is what they want and they've convinced millions of young people that convenience is more important than quality or rights to ownership.

jobocan

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:34:44 am »
I wouldn't call OnLive on OUYA a game changer... Mostly because I already knew it was gonna feature it.
Is it cool that it has the feature? Sure. But, for most people, I see it more as a way for people to demo games before buying them since I still can't imagine playing a full game in blurry lower-res graphics with input lag due to latency, when I could play them better on my computer.

killerchameleon

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »
Well I think it is, OUYA was original designed to play demos and free ware but now you will be able to play full retail games on the system if that’s not a game changer then I don’t know what is.  I don’t know if you ever played on Onlive but from my experience I can’t see a difference from a game like Aliens vs. Predator on the Onlive from the Xbox version.  Matter a fact I feel like I have more disconnect issues with Xbox while playing multiplayer than latency issues with Onlive.  I guess as I get older I’m getting tired of all the clutter and just want one box with all my games movies where I don’t have to change out discs or have massive amounts of storage to keep it all.  I’ve embraced digital media and I like it.