Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51669 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2013, 11:13:39 am »
best cover hands down

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2013, 12:23:09 pm »
On a much lighter note (pun intended:)

I'm gonna' list another of my favorite covers as Tesla's re-make of Signs.

Anyone else count Metallica's 4 Horseman as a re-make of Dave Mustaine's Mechanix  :o

Personally, while I think Kirk's a hella talented guitarist, I like/think Mustaine is better.

Then again, *NONE* of 'em will EVAR live-up (to me, at least) to my ALL-TIME Personal Favorite...

...Mr. Rhandy Rhoads...

R.I.P.   :'(

Who are the rest of your all-time favorite:

Guitarists,

Singers,

Drummers,

Keyboard (or any other instrument) players,

Songs,

(Ballads/Power-Ballads),

Albums, and/or

Concerts/Tours?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:51 pm »
I'm getting into Testament right now. I'm listening to the album "Souls of Black." They sound a LOT like Kill 'Em All era Metallica.

The song, "The Legacy", in particular, is one of the best metal ballads I've ever heard.

Testament - "The Legacy"

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:12 pm »
I didn't know that there were this many metal gamers, I thought I was one of the few.

jobocan

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »
I didn't know that there were this many metal gamers, I thought I was one of the few.

Metal is surprisingly geeky music :P

pacpix

« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:53 am »
I'm getting into Testament right now. I'm listening to the album "Souls of Black." They sound a LOT like Kill 'Em All era Metallica.

The song, "The Legacy", in particular, is one of the best metal ballads I've ever heard.

Testament - "The Legacy"
That song was great!  I might stop by Hastings on Friday after work and pick up a copy.  Have you listened to their album Demonic?  They can play pretty good death metal for a thrash band.  My personal favorite album of what I have listened to is The Legacy.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:12 am »

Testament - "The Legacy"
That song was great!  I might stop by Hastings on Friday after work and pick up a copy.  Have you listened to their album Demonic?  They can play pretty good death metal for a thrash band.  My personal favorite album of what I have listened to is The Legacy.

I love the Legacy, too!

For those of you who like the song - check-out the song "The Ballad" on their 1st album "Practice What You Preach" :)

The whole album, I think, is pretty damned good, Alex Skolnik (as always) shreds on the guitar -and- I think that now I'll have to go dust-off my CD of it, and give it a listen.

Yeah; too lazy to get the link -but- trust me, if you like the Legacy - it's worth tracking it down & giving it a listen...

I'm not/never was geeky in the least...tbqh...more of a "burn-out", "class clown", "tough guy", long-haired, heavy metal musician type (guitar - B4 I lost the hand).

I think that gamers (as a whole) get a bad rep (by default) of being geeks...most of the gamers I'm friends w/ irl *definitely* wouldn't be seen/considered as "geeks", either  ;)

pacpix

« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »

Testament - "The Legacy"

I love the Legacy, too!

For those of you who like the song - check-out the song "The Ballad" on their 1st album "Practice What You Preach" :)

Practice What You Preach is actually their third album.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2013, 02:04:29 pm »

Testament - "The Legacy"

I love the Legacy, too!

Practice What You Preach is actually their third album.

:o

You're right - my bad...I was thinking/meant to say that it was their 1st album that *I* got -and- the one that got me into them :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »

Testament - "The Legacy"

I love the Legacy, too!

The whole album, I think, is pretty damned good, Alex Skolnik (as always) shreds on the guitar -and- I think that now I'll have to go dust-off my CD of it, and give it a listen.

Yeah; too lazy to get the link -but- trust me, if you like the Legacy - it's worth tracking it down & giving it a listen...

I'm not/never was geeky in the least...tbqh...more of a "burn-out", "class clown", "tough guy", long-haired, heavy metal musician type (guitar - B4 I lost the hand).

I think that gamers (as a whole) get a bad rep (by default) of being geeks...most of the gamers I'm friends w/ irl *definitely* wouldn't be seen/considered as "geeks", either  ;)

"Geek" is nothing to be ashamed of. I wear the title proudly. I'm into comic books, video games, sci-fi and horror movies, and pro-wrestling. That definitely makes me a geek. And I have more fun than all the so-called "adults" around me my age. I also seem to be happier, less stressed out person than most other people my age because I don't hide my inner-child.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »

Testament - "The Legacy"

I love the Legacy, too!

"Geek" is nothing to be ashamed of

You're absolutely right; it's not.

I wear the title proudly.

As you very well should :)

Any and all of us that are adult enough, mature enough, & secure enough to know what our *title* is...should all be wearing it (whatever it may be/not be) proudly.

I was just saying that I'm tired of seeing & hearing "gamer" & "geek" used synonomously & inter-changeably - like they very often are.

Personally (and, like I said - just about all of the gamers that I'm friends with/know irl) really only have *Gaming* on our lists of 'Likes' that come from the list of hobbies/pleasures/interests that would fall under the "Geeky" umbrella...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2013, 12:49:56 am »
I know there's a lot of disdain out there in the metal community towards hair metal bands. But I ask you to push those misconceptions aside, and give this album a real chance.

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

I've recently been turned on to it, and it's just an incredibly album. One of the most amazing pieces of music I have ever heard. It's an amazing concept album with simply epic, and memorable tunes (with some beautiful guitar-work) throughout it as it tells the story of the rise and fall of an imaginary rock star. The description on YouTube can do a better job at explaining it:

Quote from: YouTube
The Crimson Idol was the fifth studio album by American heavy metal band W.A.S.P., originally released by Capitol Records in 1992 (1993 in the United States). The album is a concept album, telling the story of the rise and fall of a fictional rock star named Jonathan Steel.

The album took nearly three years to complete, and was originally recorded as a Blackie Lawless solo album, but Lawless bowed to fan pressure and released it under the W.A.S.P. moniker.

Listen to it, you'll thank me:

If not the whole album, at least check out these two tunes:

The opening song to album, "The Titanic Overture", an opening track that just grabs you and the rest of the album never lets go:

And the amazingly haunting rock ballad, "The Idol", is a treat for you ears, and heaven for a guitar-lover:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:51:29 am by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:14 am »
I like & still listen to a lot of hair-metal bands & music...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »
I like & still listen to a lot of hair-metal bands & music...

Me too. Which is why I hear a lot of the disdain for it.

But this album transcends your normal party-lyric hair metal album.

tripredacus

« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »

Metal is surprisingly geeky music :P

And Testament is a good example of this too. On Low, they did a song called Urotsukidoji, which is the Japanese name of the anime OVA Legend of the Overfiend.