Author Topic: Gaming/Collecting "I Nevers"...  (Read 3366 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Gaming/Collecting "I Nevers"...
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
...AND...Gaming & Collecting "I just can't understand why and/or believe that anyone would":

Topic's pretty much simple, open, and self-explanatory.
No restrictions on what gaming topics/aspects can/can't be discussed, etc.

I'll get it started w/ a few quick 'n' easy examples...

"I've Nevers":

(1).  I've never 'pirated' (or spent any time or effort into researching & learning how to pirate) any games,
(2).  I've never Imported any games or played/tried playing any games in any languages that I'm not fluent in,
(3).  I've never played any Pokemon, Kirby, Zelda (well, since the 1st one when it came-out on the NES), Metroid, or Castlevania games,
(4).  I never play any games on a PC (well, since playing an "Ultima"game back when the Apple ][E was still the newest, "must-have" tech :P
(5).  I will *NEVER* buy and/or support any system that goes "100% Digital"...OR...a system that dis-allows the ability to play used games!

"I just can't understand why/Believe that anyone would":

(1).  Welcome/prefer a future where physical copies of games cease to exist, and
(2).  Spend, *Literally*, *THOUSANDS* of dollars on any one game!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

Re: Gaming/Collecting "I Nevers"...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:35:45 am »
Im going to start my post with your nevers :
...AND...Gaming & Collecting "I just can't understand why and/or believe that anyone would":

Topic's pretty much simple, open, and self-explanatory.
No restrictions on what gaming topics/aspects can/can't be discussed, etc.

I'll get it started w/ a few quick 'n' easy examples...
"I've Nevers":
(3).  I've never played any Pokemon, Kirby, Zelda (well, since the 1st one when it came-out on the NES), Metroid, or Castlevania games,
(4).  I never play any games on a PC (well, since playing an "Ultima"game back when the Apple ][E was still the newest, "must-have" tech :P

"I just can't understand why/Believe that anyone would":

(1).  Welcome/prefer a future where physical copies of games cease to exist, and
(2).  Spend, *Literally*, *THOUSANDS* of dollars on any one game!

You simply must try the SNES versions of Zelda and Metroid. 2 of my personal forever top ten games. Ill let Scott chime in on the Castlevania games. :P
And PC gaming has advantages that a console will never have. I spent 12 years of my life playing Everquest. I quit over 2 years ago and I miss it every single day. The only reason Im not playing it still is that I would lose my family if I started again. Its ... an amazing experience to play a game like that.

And now for my nevers :
1) I will never play an FPS
2) I will never own a sports game (Punch out does not count) in the intentions of owning it to play

My "I cant understand whys"
1) Why in the world do some people buy those above mentioned sports games every year only to play it for a couple of weeks and then take a 90+% loss to trade it in for the same exact game re-released the next year
That is the only one I can think of right now ... Im sure there will be more later!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:54 pm »
@Soera:

Regarding those SNES Zelda & Metroid games...

I'm not real familiar w/ the standard controllers and/or any other controllers that are available & compatible w/ the SNES...

So, How would you (or anyone else w/ the personal experience & knowledge) say that they would be in the case of only having 1 hand to game with???

Are they laid-out in a manner as to allow them to be "1-handed friendly" when it comes to playing these games?

Personally (most likely since I've used them the most & the longest), I've gotten pretty damned good at 1-handed gaming w/ the PSX, PS2, and PS3 controllers.
Also, I've found that I can set-up my DSi-XL, PSP 3000, and GBC to be accomodating enough for me to play almost any/all RPG's on.

I've yet to give my Game-Cube (and its controller) a long enough trial yet...but...at a glance; it *looks* like it will be more unwieldy, awkward, and uncomfortable to use than the other ones...

"Incidental Notes/Comments":

A).  The game that I was most pleasantly surprised about being able to (w/ little trouble) 100%/Do Absolutely *EVERYTHING* in (- mainly, because it was an "Action" RPG (which are usually quite difficult w/ only one hand))...
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PS3-version)

AND

B).  The turn-based RPG that (unpleasantly) surprised me the most by being *MUCH* more difficult to complete 1-handed than I was expecting it to be (since turn-based RPG's are usually the *Most* 'friendly' games for playing w/ only one hand...
Final Fantasy VII!

I played it years ago, now...yet I still *Vividly* remember the (3) parts that frustrated the hell out of me :P

(From easiest to hardest):

1).  The "Motorcycle" sequence,
2).  The "Marching" sequence, and
3).  That God-damned *SUBMARINE* sequence
 >:(

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention it, but, I'm 100% w/ you on both those FPS & Sports games!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:59:43 pm by disgaeniac »

godnightshade

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
I never shit on any game genre. A game is a game.

soera

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »
I actually have a 1h controller for my SNES. Its in my collection. http://vgcollect.com/item/23149 (the entry and everything was done by me). Its a really cool controller I bought before the internet when those amazingly large sales used to roll into town for a weekend and set up at a fairgrounds building. I saw the thing and had to have it for rpg'ing. I hadnt ever seen them again til this : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=85665 (he has 3 of them for sale in the accessories area as well as a 1h NES controller too).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
I never shit on any game genre. A game is a game.

Well, good for you  ;)

I wasn't "shitting" on the FPS/Sports genres...I was agreeing w/ never playing any of them because, uhh...maybe...they don't lend themselves to being playable for 1-handed gamers...

Thanks for stopping by & filling us in on where you do & don't prefer to shit, though
 :o

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:56 pm »
I actually have a 1h controller for my SNES. Its in my collection. http://vgcollect.com/item/23149 (the entry and everything was done by me). Its a really cool controller I bought before the internet when those amazingly large sales used to roll into town for a weekend and set up at a fairgrounds building. I saw the thing and had to have it for rpg'ing. I hadnt ever seen them again til this : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=85665 (he has 3 of them for sale in the accessories area as well as a 1h NES controller too).

So...you've actually played through some games with it?!

soera

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »
I have. Chrono Trigger. :) But it was when the game was current so its been a while. :O

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36:25 pm »
I never trade/sell a game that I only have one copy of.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »
I never trade/sell a game that I only have one copy of.

Me too.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:17:58 am »
I'm quite happy to get rid of something if it's gathering dust - I find a more "fluid" collection helps me to be a bit more grounded about it and not get all "Mine! Mine FORVERZ!" *creepy Gollum actions* about the hobby. On a more practical level I've often been able to sell one game I don't want to buy two or three I do so that's a win all round as far as I'm concerned. Just my personal take on large-scale collecting anyway *shrugs*

Only thing I really don't understand are fanboys of any type that absolutely cannot accept that their favourite company/series/game/developer are anything less than 100% perfect all the time, or people who try to use personal ignorance as some sort of defense ("Well if it's that good I would have heard of it/it would have come out in the US" sort of thing).

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
I keep trying sports games in an effort to understand them.  There are some standouts that I did enjoy, but they were almost always gimmicky in some way: Baseball simulator 1000, Blitz, NBA Jam, etc.  I bought a madden...(07? maybe) and really tried to like it, but there wasn't anything there for me.

I HAD never played a pokemon game until this past summer, when it was my "Summer resolution" to try a pokemon game. 

Never beaten maniac mansion, although I've played it countless hours...As a matter of fact, come to think of it, I don't know if I have ever beaten an adventure game....
I'd love to finally beat Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, or even one of the many Guybrush Threepwood adventures...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43:34 am »
So...what were your thoughts/impressions about Pokemon (I've never played one yet myself) & which game did you play?!

scott

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:29:49 pm »
So...what were your thoughts/impressions about Pokemon (I've never played one yet myself) & which game did you play?!

Personally I'm a big Pokemon fan. I'd say if you've never played one before, you should try Platinum, Heartgold/Soulsilver, or FireRed/LeafGreen. If the amount of Pokemon in pre-Black/White seems overwhelming, try Black/White, since there are only 150 some Pokemon in those games, before post-HoF.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:13 am »

Personally I'm a big Pokemon fan. I'd say if you've never played one before, you should try Platinum, Heartgold/Soulsilver, or FireRed/LeafGreen. If the amount of Pokemon in pre-Black/White seems overwhelming, try Black/White, since there are only 150 some Pokemon in those games, before post-HoF.

Thanks, Scott!

It's not so much that i find the amounts over-whelming...it's the idea (read: "GIMMICK") that you need 2 or 3 different games to fully complete any one of them  >:(

I mean, I'm someone that 100% my demon-compendiums in persona games, etc...