Author Topic: Favorite Retro Console  (Read 8802 times)

Re: Favorite Retro Console
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:25 am »
I still remember discussing this new fangled Nintendo console with the weird buttons on the sides of the controllers with my classmates - doesn't mean it's not now old ;)

Seriously though I can see where you're coming from completely because I feel a bit weird calling the PS2 retro, but I think we need keep in mind that even "modern" titles like Final Fantasy X are now over a decade old at this point. I think we need to keep re-evaluating our definition, I'd much rather feel a bit weird welcoming "new" consoles to the retro fold instead of being stuck with some arbitrary "Well this was called retro when I learnt what retro was so I'm sticking to this" divide.

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:19 am »
I know  :) Just means that it's something I grew up with. In all honesty, I'm glad I grew up with the consoles I had at the time I was growing, rather than PS3's and Wii U's. These past 6 years just flew...

atariboy

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:04 pm »
For me I would have to say that my favorite retro consoles are:

1). Atari 2600 - Brings me back to when I was a kid and me and my best friend use to play Pitfall, Stampede, Yars Revenge, ETC..

2). ColecoVision / ADAM - My first major purchase that I bought with my own hard earned money was the ADAM computer, I then Bought a ColecoVision Because I got tired of dragging the computer down stairs when family came over to play. Also just discovered that my parents just threw out my ADAM computer out when they moved. I had packed it in the original box and all  :'(

3). NES - Just great memories of me and my son playing to the wee hours of the night. Some great bonding moments cuz technically he is my step son, but we have such a great bond now that even after me and his mom divorced we still have a great bond and I am still his dad.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 01:27:44 am »
If I ever have the money, I'm buying a vectrex. My friend had one when I was younger, but dismissed it over other consoles. Looking back, I wish I spent more time with that beast  :( Never judge a book by its cover is what I learned that day...

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 06:29:22 am »
For me, it's hard to see the Playstation as a retro console. I still remember when it was brand new.

That's exactly how I feel about the PS2. I feel kinda weird seeing people call it a retro console.

scott

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 08:29:58 am »
For me, it's hard to see the Playstation as a retro console. I still remember when it was brand new.

That's exactly how I feel about the PS2. I feel kinda weird seeing people call it a retro console.

But, the PS2 is now 12 years old. The way I see it, is if the system no longer being made and games are no longer coming out for it. It's no longer a "modern" console. So if it's no longer a "modern" console, wouldn't it then become a "retro" console?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »

But, the PS2 is now 12 years old. The way I see it, is if the system no longer being made and games are no longer coming out for it. It's no longer a "modern" console. So if it's no longer a "modern" console, wouldn't it then become a "retro" console?

I think it's just where people think the system is still TOO modern to be called a "retro" system yet. Give it at least 5 more years and then probably it'll be more "retro" then.

My list would have to be:

PS1
SNES
Game Boy (original)

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »
@disgaeniac I don't like the N64 because of the lack of good games, sure there are some of the most amazing games of all time on it, but the N64 library seems kind of lacking. Also the controller is one of the strangest things I have ever used.  The playstation has a weird regular controller (dualshock is good but, not all games support it.). in a weird way, I just don't like it, its the same with the XBOX. I cant really explain why. The games just aren't very interesting. And I know I shouldn't be complaining about graphics, but the playstation's graphics are not appealing. They make the console somewhat not enjoyable to play.

soera

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »
@disgaeniac I don't like the N64 because of the lack of good games, sure there are some of the most amazing games of all time on it, but the N64 library seems kind of lacking. Also the controller is one of the strangest things I have ever used.  The playstation has a weird regular controller (dualshock is good but, not all games support it.). in a weird way, I just don't like it, its the same with the XBOX. I cant really explain why. The games just aren't very interesting. And I know I shouldn't be complaining about graphics, but the playstation's graphics are not appealing. They make the console somewhat not enjoyable to play.

Your opinion of the N64 is flawless ... The xbox I just dont like either. I cant explain it myself.

The playstation, however, is amazing. There is a game for any person on the planet to enjoy and the controller is fantastic (obviously cause they havent changed it much in 3 consoles). I love the console forever. :)

pacpix

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 09:20:08 pm »
The N64 library is definitely lacking, and I hate that freaking controller!  The awesome games on it though are so good that its worth getting one.  Heck its worth getting just for Ocarina of Time!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

darko

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
The N64 library is definitely lacking, and I hate that freaking controller!  The awesome games on it though are so good that its worth getting one.  Heck its worth getting just for Ocarina of Time!

There are several controllers that are much more user friendly out there. I really like this:

It take a few minutes to get adjusted if you've been messing with the original controller, but it's well worth it if you can find one.

soera

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 10:09:36 am »
Do you have one of those? I want to try it if you do.

darko

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 10:56:37 am »
Do you have one of those? I want to try it if you do.

Indeed I do.

soera

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
That controller alone could mean a totally different playability for me on the N64. Im going to come by this weekend and steal it from ya :)

thecollector0o7

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »
that controller is awesome Im going to have to look into getting one for myself