Author Topic: Favorite Retro Console  (Read 8949 times)

thecollector0o7

Favorite Retro Console
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:36 am »
So I am more into the collection of systems than games (not to say that I dont collect them aswell) but I was wondering what others thought thier favorite and least favorite game consoles are.

My Favorite is a mix between SNES for its great games and the Atari 2600 for its awesome history.
My Least Favorite has to be the Sega CD/32X combo because it has 5 games total and it takes 3 diffrent power cables that just make a mess for nothing >_>

soera

Re: Favorite Retro Console
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:32:34 am »
I have a few that stand out.

PS1: Its going to take a miracle of a higher power to break this one away from my #1. The most amazing system ever made. The best controller out there (obviously as it hasnt changed in decades) and a vast array of games from every genre including some of the best rpgs out there.

NES: What needs to be said about the NES? It single handedly brought gaming from a boring toy to the front line of on TV entertainment. What the NES did for gaming will never ever be recreated.

SMS: The system I grew up with. Gaming wise, I considered it superior to the NES but it just didnt have the support. Still, it holds a special place in my memories.

And the one that needed to have never been made ...

N64: Honestly, what can I say good about it other than it has a good Mario Kart game. The library is sad compared to most other systems and it offers nothing as far as RPGs go. The controller is ... omg, ridiculous. Who the hell has 3 hands to hold this thing? Nintendo made a bad choice in making this still a cartridge system trying to compete with Playstation and as such the crappy games it had were 2-3 times the price. They did try all sorts of gimmics to make the system sell (countless different colored systems, rumble support, etc) but it didnt do much in my opinion.

zing

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:46 am »
Mine has changed over the past few years. If you had asked me early last year, I would have said the NES. Early this year, and I would say Super NES. Currently, it is the PlayStation. This is rather odd, since earlier this year, I seriously considered selling my entire PlayStation collection.

htimreimer

Re: Favorite Retro Console intendo
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:05 am »
N64: Honestly, what can I say good about it other than it has a good Mario Kart game. The library is sad compared to most other systems and it offers nothing as far as RPGs go. The controller is ... omg, ridiculous. Who the hell has 3 hands to hold this thing? Nintendo made a bad choice in making this still a cartridge system trying to compete with Playstation and as such the crappy games it had were 2-3 times the price. They did try all sorts of gimmics to make the system sell (countless different colored systems, rumble support, etc) but it didnt do much in my opinion.
i can answer a few questions for you

cartridge system: nintendo stared the development of the n64 in the early 1990s and cds were somewhat new so going with cds would of been a vary risky move

gimmics:nintendo has always done this to see what will sell and what will stay

controller:its just something that you have to get used to like i did

game:there are a lot of good games on it you just have to look for them
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:59:04 am by htimreimer »

blipcs76

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:04:24 am »
My favorite: NES.  It wasn't my first console, which was a 2600, but it was where my love for gaming really took root.  My main passion is the NES and collecting NES games, preferably CIB though complete games are too expensive for me to collect anymore.

Least favorite: Interesting.  I'd probably say Neo Geo because I've wanted one since 1990 and it has remained too pricey to justify the purchase of ever since.  Many of the games are prohibitively expensive as well.

thecollector0o7

Re: Favorite Retro Console intendo
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:54:08 am »
i can answer a few questions for you

cartridge system: nintendo stared the development of the n64 in the early 1990s and cds were somewhat new so going with cds would of been a vary risky move

gimmics:nintendo has always done this to see what will sell and what will stay

controller:its just something that you have to get used to like i did

game:there are a lot of good games on it you just have to look for them

I agree there are many amazing titles for the n64, yes there are quite a few terrible ones but I think the jewels out shine them. as for the controller, it is a weird model but if you think about it the d pad is on the (third handle) and that is not used very often. As was stated CD's were very new and after the mess up with sony and the flop of the zelda and mario games on the Phillips CDI, Nintendo went back to the way they knew which was carts.

scott

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »
My top retro consoles would have to be:

Saturn - So many good games and it's really an under appreciated console. Possibly the best console of the generation for arcade ports and there is a huge library of imports to play. I'm seriously tempted to pick up a second one to mod for region free play.

Game Boy - It's the system that helped me survive years of road trips. I can't even count the number of AA batteries I've gone through on that thing.

PlayStation 2 - It was the 2nd console I ever bought on my own. So many good games and memories. I traded some of my games off for it though and am in the process of re-buying them now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:20:57 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »
PS3 (Launch "fattie" w/ PS1, 2, and 3 playability) > PS2 (playing PS1 & 2 games) > PS1...FTW!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »
There are just too many games on each that I enjoy but if I had a gun to my head I would pick the NES. It's what I grew up with and I love the originality of the games.

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »
To play:  SNES.  So many great games and a good sized library.

To collect for:  NES.   A huge library, and the vast majority can be had quite cheaply nowadays.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:11:48 am »
Mine is snes- The amount of different quality games is amazing IMO, Maybe it's nostalgia talking but I still think the games still look impressive today. Even though Im not an RPG player at all, all the ones I really enjoy are on snes, IMHO they hold up better simply because of the 2D graphics. Some of the most important gaming series really came into their own on the snes, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Contra the list goes on and on.
Saturn- Tons of great Import only shoot em ups and fighting games, the best controller ever, tons of great 2D games very high quality underrated games, unfortunatly Sega made some bad decisions in the US with it, but still a great nice system that is very impressive.
Neo Geo- I have to agree with blipcs76 on the fact that the Neo Geo is super pricey and I personally wouldnt reccomend the system because of that and the fact that really the only reason to have one is if you love fighting games, my personal favorite genre. But IMHO you cant really emulate that feeling on another console. Outstanding 2D visuals and great underrated fighters make this one of my favorites.
Gamecube- Of course I had to list the gamecube, I love it! Most underrated system so far, Tons of great Nintendo exclusives I love the controller great little system that holds it's own very well.

I'd have to go with the Jaguar as my least favorite, I have yet to play a game on it that is... well... good. I guess it had some potential but even thats hard to say because the exclusive for it are still horrible. Weird slightly awkward controller and horrible games make this a bad system

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:01 am »
I really can't pick just one which is why I have the means of playing pretty much anything from the 8bit era to modern times in my living room. If somebody twisted my arm I would probably narrow that down to 16bit era consoles + Saturn... but I'd still miss everything else :)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:59:38 pm »
Mine is the Vectrex, still have the one I got christmas 1983/84. Love the vector graphics.

pacpix

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 12:10:14 am »
Mine is the Vectrex, still have the one I got christmas 1983/84. Love the vector graphics.
That's awesome!  I plan on getting a Vectrex eventually, they look cool!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

htimreimer

Re: Favorite Retro Console ectrex
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:03 am »
the vectrex is awesome and i so want one but i don't have the minimum requirement of 200 dollars :'(