Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1597840 times)

gf78

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11235 on: June 01, 2016, 09:00:06 am »
Microtransactions.

I never understand how anyone pays for microtransactions, but I am my little brother's "guardian" for his xbox live account (even though he is an adult now), so I get emailed every time he makes any purchases on XBL, and he does the destiny and CoD microtransactions fairly often.

They make you feel like you are missing out on something if you don't buy them.  Sometimes for some gamers, they may be struggling at one point and on the store is that one gun that will let them get past the hurdle.  And hey, it's only $2.99!   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

karyann

« Reply #11236 on: June 01, 2016, 01:01:28 pm »
I just found out about Free Mcboot for PS2, and I'm tempted as hell to buy a pre-loaded memory card and a bunch of Japanese PS2 games and just say that it's a birthday gift for myself  :'( But if I buy a ton of things I'm not getting any closer to owning my place. Adulting is so hard.

telly

« Reply #11237 on: June 01, 2016, 01:07:59 pm »
I just found out about Free Mcboot for PS2, and I'm tempted as hell to buy a pre-loaded memory card and a bunch of Japanese PS2 games and just say that it's a birthday gift for myself  :'( But if I buy a ton of things I'm not getting any closer to owning my place. Adulting is so hard.

Ugh I feel the same way :( It's crazy the kinds of things I took advantage of as a kid and am now realizing it actually costs a lot of money.

Also, when is your birthday? :)
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

gf78

« Reply #11238 on: June 01, 2016, 01:26:18 pm »
Adulting is so hard.

How true.  My wife shakes her head every time I buy something game or Star Wars related.  I picked up the new Lego Star Wars Droid Tales DVD the other day and she rolled her eyes at me.  I tell her "Hey, I don't tell you not to get your nails done or that you shouldn't have six million pairs of panties and bras, do I?  I think I keep Victoria's Secret in business single-handedly some days.   :o
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

« Reply #11239 on: June 01, 2016, 02:03:32 pm »

Ugh I feel the same way :( It's crazy the kinds of things I took advantage of as a kid and am now realizing it actually costs a lot of money.

All I know is that Lady K is a fellow June birthday, just like yours truly!

telly

« Reply #11240 on: June 01, 2016, 02:10:34 pm »

Oh man, VGC Parttyyyy  8)

I turn 22 and a half on June 7th, am I allowed to join the birthday fun?  ;)
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #11241 on: June 01, 2016, 02:37:01 pm »
It's not a party unless Telly is there!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11242 on: June 01, 2016, 02:37:40 pm »
I never do microtransactions. The only time I do download add-ons is either when they're free, or when it's a legitimate expansion like Shivering Isles was to Oblivion.

gf78

« Reply #11243 on: June 01, 2016, 02:50:47 pm »
I never do microtransactions. The only time I do download add-ons is either when they're free, or when it's a legitimate expansion like Shivering Isles was to Oblivion.

DLC expansions suck almost as bad IMO.  Because if they are good, they are integral to the overall game.  Once that server is shut down, bye-bye expansion.  If something happens and you don't have that download down the road, it may be lost to you forever.  At least on console marketplaces.  The best you can hope for is that the company that made said game does a complete edition or a Game of the Year Edition that has all the DLC on a disc.  But even at that, many of those "complete" editions are just the plain-Jane disc with a DLC voucher in the box. 

maximo310

« Reply #11244 on: June 01, 2016, 02:55:27 pm »

DLC expansions suck almost as bad IMO.  Because if they are good, they are integral to the overall game.  Once that server is shut down, bye-bye expansion.  If something happens and you don't have that download down the road, it may be lost to you forever.  At least on console marketplaces.  The best you can hope for is that the company that made said game does a complete edition or a Game of the Year Edition that has all the DLC on a disc.  But even at that, many of those "complete" editions are just the plain-Jane disc with a DLC voucher in the box.
Yep, that's why I use this list as a reference for GOTY versions of stuff I want:   https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/290765-official-gotycompleteultimatedlc-edition-compilation-thread-now-wikified/

gf78

« Reply #11245 on: June 01, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »

Yep, that's why I use this list as a reference for GOTY versions of stuff I want:   https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/290765-official-gotycompleteultimatedlc-edition-compilation-thread-now-wikified/

Yeah....as usual that link is blocked here at work.   ::)  But I will check it out when I get the time away from here.  It's a real shame that more companies don't do something like this as a way to preserve their hard work.

The unfortunate reality though is that most companies don't care about the artistic or entertainment merits of a video game beyond it's initial shelf life.  EA, Activision, Microsoft and so many more view video games as simply a money generator.  They drive their employees like slaves to get it on the shelves and make a buck.  It's totally evident when you see how many corners a company will cut and ship a broken product day one.  Good companies and studios foster and curate their talent and will delay a game until the kinks are worked out.  The "big guys" don't care.  Their attitude is "buy it and fuck you."

soera

« Reply #11246 on: June 01, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »

Ive done microtransactions. In an MMO, it can be much more time saving to buy a piece you need to finish a quest for $5 instead of spending countless hours trying to farm it only for it to never drop.

Ive also done add-ons. I bought all the DLC for Amalur and enjoyed every moment of it. Also bought a crystal pack for Child of light which wouldnt have changed much either way by the time the game was over. I did purchase the additional level for Costume quest. It was cheap and fun so it wasnt too bad.

kashell

karyann

« Reply #11248 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »

Oh man, VGC Parttyyyy  8)

I turn 22 and a half on June 7th, am I allowed to join the birthday fun?  ;)

Let's throw a mega party! My birthday is Saturday, the 4th  8)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11249 on: June 01, 2016, 09:47:53 pm »
I am getting old, i have heart burn right meow.  :'(
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730