Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670289 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #14085 on: January 10, 2018, 09:15:41 pm »
I don't think that's necessarily true. For example, Sega AM2 is a team that's dependent on Sega. Sega has a stake in what they produce, in addition to financing all of their projects and publishing them. At least, I believe that's how it works.

« Reply #14086 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:24 pm »
Gearbox making a game published by 2k is not independent.  Gearbox is dependent on 2k for funding.

Independent games do not depend on an external entity (i.e. publisher) for funding.

soera

« Reply #14087 on: January 10, 2018, 10:21:12 pm »
Its such a loose term thrown around by everyone who wants to be "out of the norm" ... again just like underground artists.

« Reply #14088 on: January 11, 2018, 08:30:15 am »
Its such a loose term thrown around by everyone who wants to be "out of the norm" ... again just like underground artists.
I hear you, because if like Metallica left their label and only did independent publishing and stuff, technically they'd be independent.  That'd be true, independent isn't a genre, just means they aren't controlled by a label/brand/company.

But indie doesn't mean "out of the norm" people just like to act like it does.

soera

« Reply #14089 on: January 11, 2018, 09:50:33 am »
I think this is where we agree.  8)

Warmsignal

« Reply #14090 on: January 11, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
The problem with only having only one real game store in your area is that, as a game "collector" you start to become self-conscious about how often you show your face around there. Like, I can't stay away from that store. Since they have almost everything I would want, and they are about 15 mins away from me.  I keep finding that their prices are based on eBay from 6 months to a year or more ago when they priced them and noticing that they're actually lower than eBay on the titles that keep climbing up. I keep wanting to go back, like every day, and buy more. Was there a few days ago, and now there's another game I feel like I need right now from them. I could wait a few days... and then show up. Or, I could just go today.

I'm sure they think I'm insane. They wouldn't be wrong, but still it's embarrassing to be insanely addicted to games and collecting them sometimes. I have the same problem with GS whenever the mood strikes me to start buying current games. I have 3 GS stores in my town, and I'll go to them so often I feel like the people get sick of seeing me. Like I know everyone who works at every location and what their hours are, usually.

I hear you, because if like Metallica left their label and only did independent publishing and stuff, technically they'd be independent.  That'd be true, independent isn't a genre, just means they aren't controlled by a label/brand/company.

But indie doesn't mean "out of the norm" people just like to act like it does.

Some bands I've followed over the years have gone from having a deal with a major label, to going completely independent. Self-producing, and either self-funding or raising money for the albums on Kickstarter. When they were with Universal, they had producers and execs telling them what was acceptable, and what wasn't in terms of the final product and how the band would be marketed with their money. When independent, they could do absolutely anything they wanted. There are benefits and downfalls to both.

« Reply #14091 on: January 11, 2018, 12:15:13 pm »
The problem with only having only one real game store in your area is that, as a game "collector" you start to become self-conscious about how often you show your face around there. Like, I can't stay away from that store. Since they have almost everything I would want, and they are about 15 mins away from me.  I keep finding that their prices are based on eBay from 6 months to a year or more ago when they priced them and noticing that they're actually lower than eBay on the titles that keep climbing up. I keep wanting to go back, like every day, and buy more. Was there a few days ago, and now there's another game I feel like I need right now from them. I could wait a few days... and then show up. Or, I could just go today.

I'm sure they think I'm insane. They wouldn't be wrong, but still it's embarrassing to be insanely addicted to games and collecting them sometimes. I have the same problem with GS whenever the mood strikes me to start buying current games. I have 3 GS stores in my town, and I'll go to them so often I feel like the people get sick of seeing me. Like I know everyone who works at every location and what their hours are, usually.
Years ago I had that problem.  Probably 20-30 GS in my town, and almost every GS I would go to, they knew me man.  A lot of times they would float around between stores so that wouldn't help.  So even if I went into a new GS I'd never bothered to drive to, I'd see a familiar employee.

« Reply #14092 on: January 11, 2018, 01:08:26 pm »
I got a mysterious package in the mail today.  No clue who it's from and I don't recall buying anything recently

I guess I'll find out when I get home.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14093 on: January 11, 2018, 01:44:39 pm »
I'm not the biggest Smash Bros. fan, so I may not be getting this. But people are saying (elsewhere) that Smash Bros. Melee has aged poorly.

Aren't the modern entries in the series exactly the same, just with added online functionality and some new characters?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14094 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
This is getting stupid. On Christmas my XBox One crapped out on me, and I had to replace it. Now the NES slot on my Retron 5 is not reading games. It keeps saying "Failed to dump ROM" or "Unknown Cartridge". I haven't even owned the damn thing for a full year yet!

I don't beat up my stuff or mistreat it. So what the hell is going on?

« Reply #14095 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:02 pm »
Now the NES slot on my Retron 5 is not reading games. It keeps saying "Failed to dump ROM" or "Unknown Cartridge". I haven't even owned the damn thing for a full year yet!

I'm on my third Retron 5... as much as i love the thing, it really isnt build well. It always seems to be the SNES slot that goes on mine though. On a similar note, I got the new SupaRetron HD and it seems to be built a lot better, at least it feels that way. I'll have to put it through its paces but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

« Reply #14096 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:31 pm »
I'm not the biggest Smash Bros. fan, so I may not be getting this. But people are saying (elsewhere) that Smash Bros. Melee has aged poorly.

Aren't the modern entries in the series exactly the same, just with added online functionality and some new characters?
It's hard to go back to Melee after Brawl and 4.  Melee moves very quick, has wave-dashing, no tripping, etc.  Brawl and 4 characters are more floaty, no wave dashing, easier to button mash win, etc.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14097 on: January 11, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
This is getting stupid. On Christmas my XBox One crapped out on me, and I had to replace it. Now the NES slot on my Retron 5 is not reading games. It keeps saying "Failed to dump ROM" or "Unknown Cartridge". I haven't even owned the damn thing for a full year yet!

Still have your receipt?  They have a 1 year warranty on those things.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14098 on: January 11, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »

Still have your receipt?  They have a 1 year warranty on those things.

No, bought it through eBay.

« Reply #14099 on: January 11, 2018, 05:05:39 pm »
Now the NES slot on my Retron 5 is not reading games. It keeps saying "Failed to dump ROM" or "Unknown Cartridge". I haven't even owned the damn thing for a full year yet!

I'm on my third Retron 5... as much as i love the thing, it really isnt build well. It always seems to be the SNES slot that goes on mine though. On a similar note, I got the new SupaRetron HD and it seems to be built a lot better, at least it feels that way. I'll have to put it through its paces but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I have not had any trouble with my retro duo, you know some people say the more technology one thing has the more things can go wrong with it :(
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)