Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1527526 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #16410 on: May 30, 2023, 01:51:31 pm »
I just got a shipping confirmation and tracking number from Limited Run Games... for an item I received at the beginning of the Month (May 2 is when the item was delivered today is May 30)

Warmsignal

« Reply #16411 on: June 08, 2023, 12:26:44 pm »
So I renewed my GameStop membership and opted up to start getting the physical magazine again. This was like in April, and they never sent me a May issue, and so far no June issue. So I actually went and purchased a back issue from their website. It's been folded to the point of creasing twice across the entire book, edges all gnarled up. No evidence it happened in transit either. They don't have to be perfect, but damn. Is it so much to ask they actually send me what I pay for? I want my $5 back on the sub if they're not going to do it.

dhaabi

« Reply #16412 on: June 10, 2023, 10:12:01 am »
So I renewed my GameStop membership and opted up to start getting the physical magazine again. This was like in April, and they never sent me a May issue, and so far no June issue. So I actually went and purchased a back issue from their website. It's been folded to the point of creasing twice across the entire book, edges all gnarled up.

I don't visit GameStop stores often, but aren't physical copies of Game Informer available for purchase at the counter? At the very least, I know that they used to be. Visiting a store might not be a viable option for you, but it seems like a more reassuring means to obtain a good-quality item.

dhaabi

« Reply #16413 on: June 10, 2023, 10:45:58 am »
Currently, if you search for "katamari" through Google in certain web browsers like Chrome, a crude katamari-like game mode is available which grants the capability to roll up search results. It works for desktop and mobile, but it's clearly built with the former in mind.
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=katamari

tripredacus

« Reply #16414 on: June 14, 2023, 12:03:30 pm »
I'm kinda bummed out. I did some math the other day and found that if i stayed on my current pace of playing things on my backlog, it would take me at least 57 years to complete it.

« Reply #16415 on: June 14, 2023, 10:26:21 pm »
I'm kinda bummed out. I did some math the other day and found that if i stayed on my current pace of playing things on my backlog, it would take me at least 57 years to complete it.

The struggle is definitely real. I've never broken it down mathematically, but assuming I live an average lifetime (late 70s), I should be able to make it through all, or at least 90%+ of my backlog. I feel like I've been in the middle of a slow downsize for a while to which often involves me getting rid of games that i did play and can't really see myself playing again, or games that I know I won't ever play if I'm being honest with myself. So the amount of games in my backlog has been getting smaller both by me playing them, but also by me removing games from it that I don't plan on playing anymore. But yeah, I probably have around 1600 games or so and I've been beating around 60 a year so 1600/60 = 26.6. This puts me in my early 60s. I think I'll make it, I hope I do.

dhaabi

« Reply #16416 on: June 15, 2023, 08:48:18 am »

You've got two options then: downsize your backlog or increase your pace. Are either of those possible? Downsizing the backlog isn't usually challenging in itself especially when it's large, but it will almost always increase over time as new games become of interest which means option two is the better solution.

tripredacus

« Reply #16417 on: June 15, 2023, 09:23:15 am »
Downsizing backlog is certainly possible by removing things. I could also prioritize things I'd rather play sooner rather than later. A big issue for me is that I can get wrapped up in "endless" games or games with extreme replayability, which doesn't help.

Increasing pace doesn't seem like it will be an option. Playing games is currently a third tier option for my free time. I already lose 2-3 days to pinball as it is. Although perhaps I could make up some time on weekends by starting earlier as I tend to keep the same schedule as a workday, meaning I only play games in the evening.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16418 on: July 09, 2023, 11:01:47 pm »
My thing is, why feel obligated to beat every game? Unless the game is compelling enough to keep bringing you back to the point that you reach the end. There's no sense in trying to beat it. Is it just to say that you beat it?

If any game collector was honest, there's very few games probably worth the time to beat within our massive collections. My ambition is to play the games. Not necessarily to beat.

« Reply #16419 on: July 10, 2023, 09:18:20 am »
It's your prerogative, you do you.  I see lots of folks who take it further that they have to 100% complete any game they start and to me that's nuts.  I aim to beat all games I start otherwise I might be tempted to come back to it and have a worse time because I abandoned it part way through.  Very few games have I truly abandoned.  Shifting World and Code of Princess come to mind.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16420 on: July 11, 2023, 12:30:13 pm »
Makes sense, as collectors we are OCD as hell. But my OCD doesn't extend to in-game factors, at least not that extent. I've learned not to feel bad about whether I complete a game, or not. If I'm forcing myself into playing something, that's a waste of my precious short time on this planet. I need to be really engaged with it, and want to come back out of a true desire to see what's next, or face the next challenge. If that's not there, it isn't worth it. I tried, I played it and maybe even liked it but I had my fun with it, and that's well and good enough.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16421 on: July 13, 2023, 10:31:32 pm »
My thing is, why feel obligated to beat every game? Unless the game is compelling enough to keep bringing you back to the point that you reach the end. There's no sense in trying to beat it. Is it just to say that you beat it?

If any game collector was honest, there's very few games probably worth the time to beat within our massive collections. My ambition is to play the games. Not necessarily to beat.

I’m with you.
I have very limited time. It better be worth it if I’m going to spend the time on something.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16422 on: July 18, 2023, 09:25:53 am »
I don't consider myself to be a movie collector, but this year I've decided to start picking up movies whenever I see them (which is all the time), and it's amazing how cheaply they can be had right now. Especially when you compare it to what most of the streaming services want in order to buy or even rent the same movies. Most of the stuff I've picked up this year has only been $1 per title. I have a rule where I don't go over $2 unless it's something I think is hard to find. I wonder if someday down the line, this stuff will go crazy in price like video games? All I know, is that it can't get any cheaper than right now.

So now I've got this pile of movies sitting on my floor, and I've spent almost nothing in the past few months accumulating it. It reminds me of the good old days of video game hunting. Although, I am considering throwing out the plastic cases, and keeping the artwork. I was thinking I'd get a binder or maybe just some CD spindles. Otherwise I'll need to tub them and put them all into storage. I just don't have the room for another collection. But it is kind of addicting to come away with a stack of movies each weekend for a few dollars.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:27:26 am by Warmsignal »

tripredacus

« Reply #16423 on: July 18, 2023, 09:56:49 am »
I used to do that and ended up with more movies than video games. And I am still trying to get rid of them.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16424 on: July 23, 2023, 10:36:35 am »
Just got back from another retro gaming convention. I've got to say, these things are on a steady decline. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed less and less of a selection of games at these places, which is telling given than many of the vendors come from near and far to attend. The selection is just at a point where a lot of those big ticket, sought after titles, common or not, just aren't there much anymore. I kept overhearing people in search of those same high profile titles that I was hunting out more than 10 years ago. Folks still want to find that stuff today, and collect it.

Luckily I'm no longer looking for those sorts of games, as I have most of them. I guess that's the point, they've been put into collections. I'm mostly scoping out oddities and obscure hidden gems which fit into the category of not too rare, or valuable. I found a handful, not a lot.

Anyhow, I think the enthusiasm for these events is waning. A lot of collectors fighting against one another for what little is left in stock, I think it's indicative of the state of game collecting. Supply running low, while yet even more people become enticed every day to jump into the hobby. The level of collecting is outgrowing the supply from golden age of physical media, and yet they're desperate to stop producing physical media with today's games.