Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1657526 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9045 on: January 10, 2016, 01:44:47 pm »

Bayonetta 2 is out print now, so everybody is buying it out to scalp or add it to their collection. The games going for 80-100 right now.

Figures. That's the game collecting market for you.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9046 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:21 pm »
Do you ever just get sick of this and think, "I should just sell all of this"? 

I'm strongly considering being done "collecting".  I'm going to finish my NES set, then I may just be happy with what I have.  I have a great emulation setup and I just don't know if I give a shit about owning Genesis/Saturn/Playstation/PS2 stuff. 

This will pass.  It just came up because "someone" stole all of my Genesis, Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, PS1, PS2, and Saturn stuff.  I really only played about 5 Genesis games anyway. 

Don't mind me.  I just got kicked in the dick and I'm moaning.  I'm just venting.  This will pass.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9047 on: January 11, 2016, 12:24:58 am »

I'm strongly considering being done "collecting".  I'm going to finish my NES set, then I may just be happy with what I have.  I have a great emulation setup and I just don't know if I give a shit about owning Genesis/Saturn/Playstation/PS2 stuff. 

This will pass.  It just came up because "someone" stole all of my Genesis, Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, PS1, PS2, and Saturn stuff.  I really only played about 5 Genesis games anyway. 

Don't mind me.  I just got kicked in the dick and I'm moaning.  I'm just venting.  This will pass.

Wow, that's awful.

But yeah, actually I have been having a lot of thoughts lately. The thought of selling it all off is kind of tempting. But I'm more serious about considering just thinning down my game collection. I've got so much stuff that really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I like the idea of getting rid of everything but (what I think is) the best and having a small collection. The flaw in my logic has been thinking that I need to own everything that catches my eye, and for almost every mainstream console. It's kind of ridiculous.

I still have 200+ games that I want to find, at this point I don't know why, but it feels like I should complete my goals before I start giving things up.

desocietas

« Reply #9048 on: January 11, 2016, 03:24:27 am »

Ugh, I'm so sorry, Turf.  Sometimes it's one of those things where you think "you know, if a fire destroyed all these material things I love, will I try to replace it all or just let it go and move on?" I wonder about that when I look at my collection sometimes...

Sending you good vibes - let me know if there's anything I can do :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9049 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:21 am »
Damn.

I'm really sorry to hear that, brother Turf.

Any idea who did it/how it was done (chance of getting any of them back)?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9050 on: January 11, 2016, 08:11:05 am »

Wow turf that sucks !  I'm pisssd for you. Sorry to hear that :(   
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

telly

« Reply #9051 on: January 11, 2016, 09:02:28 am »
That really does suck :( I'm so sorry to hear that! Sending good thoughts your way
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

gf78

« Reply #9052 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:37 am »
I think that "someone" turf mentioned is his ex. 

To turf, it sucks my friend and I understand the frustration.  It's funny this topic has come up when I've been doing some "soul searching" myself on the topic.  I had this huge, huge list of games I wanted to buy.  And when I looked at it realistically, they're not games that I really need or have a fondness for or good memories of.  I've realistically built a collection of PlayStation games & goods which was my ultimate goal.  I've hence paired down my wish list to just games I actually want.  I will pick up oddities now & again if I come across them and they are cheap.  But 2016 will not be like 2015 and I'm not planning on adding a tremendous amount of items to my collection.  Probably the new PS4 games coming out that I am looking forward to is all.

Edit:  Gotta add Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.  I'll buy those.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:19:55 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #9053 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:30 am »
My loving wife did me super this past week.  She surprised me by paying off my Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare II preorder first.  Then the other day, she bought me the Sphero BB-8. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

« Reply #9054 on: January 11, 2016, 12:03:26 pm »
Do I consider Game Stop the wild: Yep. If it's not the Internet, it's the wild. I don't go set foot into Game Stops unless I have a gift card, but it's still different than buying via eBay or amazon.

Should I sell this stuff: 99% of the time: no, because I plan to play it or have played it and don't feel like going through the trouble of trying to resell it. My collection o' games is small enough that I selling something wouldn't feel right; especially if I haven't played it properly. That said, there are times I go through "purging episodes" and sell a bunch of things to either clear the space or get a few extra spending dollars.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9055 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »
Do I consider Game Stop the wild: Yep. If it's not the Internet, it's the wild. I don't go set foot into Game Stops unless I have a gift card, but it's still different than buying via eBay or amazon.

Should I sell this stuff: 99% of the time: no, because I plan to play it or have played it and don't feel like going through the trouble of trying to resell it. My collection o' games is small enough that I selling something wouldn't feel right; especially if I haven't played it properly. That said, there are times I go through "purging episodes" and sell a bunch of things to either clear the space or get a few extra spending dollars.

I couldn't tell you why there's so much GameStop hate. I've gone there so much over the years, and strictly as a buyer of used games. I've bought a ton of stuff there at really fair, sometimes rock bottom prices. To me, GS felt more like the wild back in the PS2 days, because you never knew what each store would have. Now I rarely see anything that is unique to any specif store. Seems like they all have the same old stock.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9056 on: January 11, 2016, 01:00:18 pm »
^ The hate comes from GameStop absolutely ripping people off on trade-ins. Although, they could just sell on eBay or Craigslist if they feel that strongly about it.

soera

« Reply #9057 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:26 pm »
A lot of people hate on Gamestop cause of some of their policies. Allowing people to trade in games without cases and in turn charging the same price for a disk only game, opening games to allow a shelf copy yet still selling it as "new", throwing away cases/manuals/displays to save space and not allowing people who wish to obtain these items to have them, etc.

« Reply #9058 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:59 pm »
A lot of people hate on Gamestop cause of some of their policies. Allowing people to trade in games without cases and in turn charging the same price for a disk only game, opening games to allow a shelf copy yet still selling it as "new", throwing away cases/manuals/displays to save space and not allowing people who wish to obtain these items to have them, etc.
My stores luckily let me have cases/manuals/displays if I want them.

gf78

« Reply #9059 on: January 11, 2016, 02:15:47 pm »
Overall, I have had many bad GameStop experiences.  It usually boiled down to a bunch of hipsters or douchebags who didn't have a clue about gaming in general trying to sell me on something I already told them I wasn't interested in.  With that being said, I absolutely love my local Gamestop that opened in 2009.  Though the staff including managers has changed over the years, everyone that works there knows and loves games.  I love shopping there and sometimes just stop if I'm right around there (AT&T, Walmart and just about everything else is right next to or across from it!) I'll stop in and just say hi.

If I get a copy of Game Informer in the mail that gets FUBAR, they give me a new copy.  They always let me know if something interesting comes in if they think I might want it or if I had mentioned I was interested in it.  They called me one day to tell me someone traded in the steelbook edition of Mortal Kombat Armageddon so I could get first shot at it.  I've gotten various promo items, boxes, posters, etc. from them over the last six + years.  They are just an all-around bunch of good people.

I'm not going to debate the trade-in policies because I fully agree, they suck.  But I don't trade my games in and I've also found some rock-bottom prices on games.  For instance, right now is a great time if you are looking to fill out your PS3 or 360 collections because you can get games there for less than a buck.  I don't care if the game is a turd, the case is worth a buck!