Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1658505 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9285 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:37 am »
When will you know about that promotion Turf?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9286 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:41 am »

They are allowing people to through their name in the hat until next Tuesday.  So far, it's just me and 1 other guy.  We'll just have to see.
Then I have to interview.  It'll be a 2 or 3 weeks before I know something, I think.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:39:15 am by turf »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9287 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:41 am »
So on Tuesday I finally bought all the parts to build my first PC ever. They're going to be coming in over the next week or so and I am SO excited guys! Can't wait!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380X 4GB DD XXX OC Video Card  ($213.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($50.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.78 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer KN242HYL 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Wired Optical Mouse  ($46.75 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers  ($34.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1066.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 10:01 EST-0500

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9288 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

They are allowing people to through their name in the hat until next Tuesday.  So far, it's just me and 1 other guy.  We'll just have to see.
Then I have to interview.  It'll be a 2 or 3 weeks before I know something, I think.

So this other guy needs to have an "accident " you say.... I'll bring my bat :p

Jk of course.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #9289 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:30 am »
The other day, a friend of mine told me that I actually looked like Kashell from Valkyrie Profile. I'll copy the text conversation.

Him: "I'm replaying Valkyrie Profile actually. And holy crap. Kashell really does look like you dude o__o"

Me: "He does? O.o I never really noticed. Haha. I just enjoyed his snark when I first played VP so I made him part of my username. And then it just stuck."

Him: "Yep he does. Ok granted he has blue anime hair, but if you cut it short and cut off the bangs, his face has an uncanny resemblance to yours."

Me: "That's the nicest celebrity comparison I've heard my entire life."

This just goes to show you that words are the best way to cheer up someone or to make their day even better.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9290 on: January 28, 2016, 10:13:54 am »
So on Tuesday I finally bought all the parts to build my first PC ever. They're going to be coming in over the next week or so and I am SO excited guys! Can't wait!

What are you doing for the Operating system? 

gf78

« Reply #9291 on: January 28, 2016, 11:12:58 am »

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($50.99 @ NCIX US)

Very happy for you!  Sounds like it will be an awesome rig.

You need to pick up a can of black Krylon and a stencil and put the Imperial Emblem on the side of that bad-boy!   :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:16:27 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9292 on: January 28, 2016, 11:45:44 am »

What are you doing for the Operating system?

Windows 7. Got an install from a friend coming over. Still debating if I'm gonna want to update to 10 or not.

rayne315

« Reply #9293 on: January 28, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »
so I will admit it I probably made a mistake on a great deal but I am still not sorry.

My favorite gaming store recently had a Atari 800 computer with its floppy disc drive, and printer, all in astoundingly good condition with all required cords and ~40-60 floppies (various games and programs so not all games) in 2 hard protective cases all for $108 I had the opportunity to buy this all in un-tested (no monitor to hook it up to but it powered on) as-is form before it even hit the shelves and I had to pass on it. and here are my reasons why.

1. I do not Collect computers/computer games even in physical form. (unless my gf wants it)
2. as you may all know the Atari 800 runs entirely on DOS which is a major problem for me because I cannot wrap my head around computer code.
3. knowing that it runs on DOS and the fact that I cannot even run DOSbox to save my life makes this a further headache and I do not want to always look up every command to get it to do what I want.
4. no compatible monitor to even display what im doing for it.
5. I collect only what I am capable of playing (see #2-3)
6. even if I were to buy it, it would only be to re-sell it which comes up with a few different issues
    6a. I have no idea it's value
    6b. all that stuff weighs easily 20+ pounds so shipping would be a bitch.
    6c. I would rather someone who wants it and would appreciate it to buy it and not have to up-charge them for it.

hopefully I never end up regretting my decision not to buy it as it is already gone.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

karyann

« Reply #9294 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:31 pm »
Disclaimer: I love Japan. I freaking love Japan. I love japanese people too. They're awesome.

However I pre-ordered an Animal Crossing amiibo cards album from Amiami. I received the invoice yesterday saying it was ready to ship so time to pay, with a quote for ~$32 shipping. I knew I could change the shipping option, so I followed the link to the order. There were 2 buttons: Cancel, and Next. Usually, Next brings you the next step, and CONFIRM would be the name on the eventual button that confirms a freaking purchase, right? Nope. Next confirmed the purchase.

I contacted customer support and asked to cancel my order so that I could place it again with the proper option (you know, the one that's 90% cheaper). However, Japan has so much trouble with anything that is even slightly outside of the "normal" path. Sooooo much trouble. Never order a hamburger without pickles at any McDonald's in Japan, you'll make the cashier panic and apologize profusely, and you'll also have pickles in your hamburger. You can't have anything that isn't THE way of doing things. So of course they couldn't do anything.

tl;dr I just paid $40 for an $8 binder to put some cards in.
I've made mistakes that cost me a lot more in life, but the situation makes me unhappy.  :-\

I still love you, Japan. You just made me sad, but I still love you.

tpugmire

« Reply #9295 on: January 28, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »
so I will admit it I probably made a mistake on a great deal but I am still not sorry.

My favorite gaming store recently had a Atari 800 computer with its floppy disc drive, and printer, all in astoundingly good condition with all required cords and ~40-60 floppies (various games and programs so not all games) in 2 hard protective cases all for $108 I had the opportunity to buy this all in un-tested (no monitor to hook it up to but it powered on) as-is form before it even hit the shelves and I had to pass on it. and here are my reasons why.

1. I do not Collect computers/computer games even in physical form. (unless my gf wants it)
2. as you may all know the Atari 800 runs entirely on DOS which is a major problem for me because I cannot wrap my head around computer code.
3. knowing that it runs on DOS and the fact that I cannot even run DOSbox to save my life makes this a further headache and I do not want to always look up every command to get it to do what I want.
4. no compatible monitor to even display what im doing for it.
5. I collect only what I am capable of playing (see #2-3)
6. even if I were to buy it, it would only be to re-sell it which comes up with a few different issues
    6a. I have no idea it's value
    6b. all that stuff weighs easily 20+ pounds so shipping would be a bitch.
    6c. I would rather someone who wants it and would appreciate it to buy it and not have to up-charge them for it.

hopefully I never end up regretting my decision not to buy it as it is already gone.

Was it an 800 or 800XL?  Either way, they aren't too confusing if you stick to cartridge games. There's a cable to output composite video too, so you can hook it to any tv.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

davifus

« Reply #9296 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »

Nice, Welcome to the world of PC building.
My only problem with the build is I would of swapped the GPU with a GTX 970. It is $100 more but worth the difference. I have always pref. Nvdia GPU over AMD GPU.

Gratz
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

rayne315

« Reply #9297 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »
Was it an 800 or 800XL?  Either way, they aren't too confusing if you stick to cartridge games. There's a cable to output composite video too, so you can hook it to any tv.

whats the difference between them? all I know was it was an 800. and either way the only output cord in their was for and old computer monitor. looked like the cord between the sega cd and the genesis.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tpugmire

« Reply #9298 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »
The XL series had BASIC built in and upgraded memory or something. I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics. Either way, that price would have been a steal. The floppy drive alone runs about $50ish. I have a 800XL and a 1200XL. They are actually quite fun if you're into antiquated crap. Hard to collect for though, there's not many people that have software to sell. I've seen like 2 carts in the wild, that's it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9299 on: January 29, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
One of my best friends getting married today and i am the best man/witness, they are keeping it simple and getting married at the court house.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730