Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1598906 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11910 on: August 18, 2016, 07:38:12 am »
Do you mean Agarest: Generations of War?

« Reply #11911 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:37 am »
Prices in general on gaming seems to be getting crazy. I know I've been collecting a lot less that I did in previous years because of rising prices. I'm a LOT more picky with my games now.
Yeah, I have to change my tactics every so often because people "wise up".  Used to be really easy to get good stuff on CL, now it's just folks who think everything is gold reposting overpriced stuff 10 times a day.  Ebay you used to be able to find some decent wholesale lots, but now it's mostly the same folks on CL posting their sports games lots for an overpriced amount.  I've never had good luck with any of the other sites like offerup and letgo because those didn't really come into being until after CL was already trash, so those became trash really fast.  Yard sales/estate sales/flea markets are pretty bad most of the time because they don't bother to price their games, they either spout a ridiculous price or check amazon (new prices) for each game you ask about.  I know we've all seen the ads where somebody wants $200 for a loose no label dead battery pokemon game because it's like new and new copies go for $400 and you're getting a heck of a deal. *rolls eyes*

I used to be able to buy games on the regular at $0.99 at goodwills, then it was $1.99, then it was $2.99, then it was $3.99, then they tried to cherry pick and price them retail ($70 for a loose Melee with tons of scratches, no returns, all sales final)  had quite a few arguments with the pricing folks at goodwill and as far as I know some of those stores still price that way.  Luckily the few goodwill near me still do $1.99-$3.99.  But sometimes I'll see stuff marked $4.99-$9.99.  It's ridiculous when pawn shop prices are better than thrift store prices.

I'm actually getting to the point where I'm collecting "more".  I'm going out and buying tons of Wii, 360, and PS3 games because they are at a market low right now and a lot of titles are already really hard to find.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11912 on: August 18, 2016, 12:00:22 pm »
Still good deals out there to be found, if you're persistent enough. It's a roll of the dice. Now it's more like a weighted one that usually lands on something crap, but you still have that slim chance. I came across a King's Story yesterday, which is one of those obscure Wii games and I was thinking I hadn't seen one in ages. Turns out it's not that expensive, but I got a good deal on it anyway.

I'm just glad that I'm mostly satisfied with my game collection as it is, there really isn't much pain left in the hunt.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:02:27 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #11913 on: August 18, 2016, 12:02:01 pm »
I'm just glad that I'm mostly satisfied with my game collection as it is, there really isn't much pain left in the hunt.
Yeah, there's only so many games left that I really want.  But lately I just can't bother to go hunt.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11914 on: August 18, 2016, 01:02:32 pm »
Prices in general on gaming seems to be getting crazy. I know I've been collecting a lot less that I did in previous years because of rising prices. I'm a LOT more picky with my games now.
Yeah, I have to change my tactics every so often because people "wise up".  Used to be really easy to get good stuff on CL, now it's just folks who think everything is gold reposting overpriced stuff 10 times a day.  Ebay you used to be able to find some decent wholesale lots, but now it's mostly the same folks on CL posting their sports games lots for an overpriced amount.  I've never had good luck with any of the other sites like offerup and letgo because those didn't really come into being until after CL was already trash, so those became trash really fast.  Yard sales/estate sales/flea markets are pretty bad most of the time because they don't bother to price their games, they either spout a ridiculous price or check amazon (new prices) for each game you ask about.  I know we've all seen the ads where somebody wants $200 for a loose no label dead battery pokemon game because it's like new and new copies go for $400 and you're getting a heck of a deal. *rolls eyes*

I used to be able to buy games on the regular at $0.99 at goodwills, then it was $1.99, then it was $2.99, then it was $3.99, then they tried to cherry pick and price them retail ($70 for a loose Melee with tons of scratches, no returns, all sales final)  had quite a few arguments with the pricing folks at goodwill and as far as I know some of those stores still price that way.  Luckily the few goodwill near me still do $1.99-$3.99.  But sometimes I'll see stuff marked $4.99-$9.99.  It's ridiculous when pawn shop prices are better than thrift store prices.

I'm actually getting to the point where I'm collecting "more".  I'm going out and buying tons of Wii, 360, and PS3 games because they are at a market low right now and a lot of titles are already really hard to find.

Seriously. Goodwill had a copy of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii for $30 the other day. I told the guy at the counter that Nintendo themselves dropped the price, and you can buy it brand-new at GameStop for $19.99 now. The guy got short with me and told me that he trusts that his pricer knows what he's doing and if I don't like it I can leave, then walked off. I was not happy because I'm in Goodwill all the time (also collect movies & CDs), and as far as I can tell, I did nothing wrong, the guy was just an ass.

You can't price a game at retail (or above retail in my case), and then have no quality control and no returns on top of it.

« Reply #11915 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

Seriously. Goodwill had a copy of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii for $30 the other day. I told the guy at the counter that Nintendo themselves dropped the price, and you can buy it brand-new at GameStop for $19.99 now. The guy got short with me and told me that he trusts that his pricer knows what he's doing and if I don't like it I can leave, then walked off. I was not happy because I'm in Goodwill all the time (also collect movies & CDs), and as far as I can tell, I did nothing wrong, the guy was just an ass.

You can't price a game at retail (or above retail in my case), and then have no quality control and no returns on top of it.
Yup.  It's frustrating.  Even more so when you deal with this kind of mentality at more than just one place, but at video game stores, thrift shops, pawn shops, etc.

necrosexual

« Reply #11916 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »
Do you mean Agarest: Generations of War?
yes, that seems to be the title for the PAL release for record of agarest war (the first one anyway)

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11917 on: August 18, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »

If you wanna be technical about it, it'd bet that the "original print" goes for more online. But, most GS I've seen have the original prints pre-owned for the same price as Nintendo Select.

I think best policy is to reserve outrage when facing a price gouger. Calling them out on a price gouge only seems to tick them off. I've witnessed someone showing a seller a live eBay BIN priced lower than what they were asking and they are not happy to be shown that. End of the day, they can price whatever they want. If it's wrong, just ignore. Or, make what you think is a reasonable offer if possible, without citing any sources.

« Reply #11918 on: August 18, 2016, 03:06:12 pm »
My issue is that I know some moron will walk in and buy it and get screwed.  My outrage isn't based on me wanting the game.  It's based on the fact that you are called "Goodwill" yet you show no "good will".  They literally pay nothing for the goods.  Those are the situations where I don't feel bad about products being stolen at Goodwill.  But that's a whole different conversation.

desocietas

« Reply #11919 on: August 18, 2016, 03:26:33 pm »
My issue is that I know some moron will walk in and buy it and get screwed.  My outrage isn't based on me wanting the game.  It's based on the fact that you are called "Goodwill" yet you show no "good will".  They literally pay nothing for the goods.  Those are the situations where I don't feel bad about products being stolen at Goodwill.  But that's a whole different conversation.

I'm sure they don't care if someone pays more than the going value for something. The place serves as low costs to those that can't afford more and also as income to continue running the non-profit institution (which does more than run those stores). Also, it's not the job of the clerk to do anything about prices - I'm sure they run into a lot of people trying to lowball or change stickers on them to save money - so I wouldn't be able to get upset at that. They have enough to deal with; they can't change something that's not part of their job responsibility.

I work at a library and people try to talk me down on the replacement cost of a book, claiming that something is cheaper on Amazon or whatever. While true, there are other factors, such as the vendors we purchase from, the original price we paid for the book, the print edition, and, the one thing that many people forget about, the staffing and time it takes to purchase and process a replacement item. All the while, the book is unavailable to other patrons.

I know it's not the same, especially since their goods are donated, but those dollars are sometimes about more than just the actual item itself.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11920 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »
There was no outrage. It was me just saying, "Hey you can get this game brand-new for $10 less than this." I wasn't trying to lowball him, either, since I already owned the game. It was more of just a letting them know kind of thing. I was more pissed in how he treated me since I was a regular.

desocietas

« Reply #11921 on: August 18, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »
There was no outrage. It was me just saying, "Hey you can get this game brand-new for $10 less than this." I wasn't trying to lowball him, either, since I already owned the game. It was more of just a letting them know kind of thing. I was more pissed in how he treated me since I was a regular.

Yeah, that sucks :( Maybe they didn't realize that you were just letting them know and just assumed you were seeing if you could have it for cheaper. Sucks when you're a regular and would think that they'd not give you that attitude.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11922 on: August 18, 2016, 03:46:37 pm »

I'm sure they don't care if someone pays more than the going value for something. The place serves as low costs to those that can't afford more and also as income to continue running the non-profit institution (which does more than run those stores). Also, it's not the job of the clerk to do anything about prices - I'm sure they run into a lot of people trying to lowball or change stickers on them to save money - so I wouldn't be able to get upset at that. They have enough to deal with; they can't change something that's not part of their job responsibility.

I work at a library and people try to talk me down on the replacement cost of a book, claiming that something is cheaper on Amazon or whatever. While true, there are other factors, such as the vendors we purchase from, the original price we paid for the book, the print edition, and, the one thing that many people forget about, the staffing and time it takes to purchase and process a replacement item. All the while, the book is unavailable to other patrons.

I know it's not the same, especially since their goods are donated, but those dollars are sometimes about more than just the actual item itself.
Yes, there are many factors that contribute to it.  I've always hated this conversation.  Mostly biased because why does MY HOBBY have to be the one that they cherry pick prices, why not cassette collectors, vinyls, or other nic-nacs.  Regardless of reason or whatever, I'm certain all Goodwill locations are profitable, especially the locations that don't cherry pick prices.  So trying to gouge and screw over customers is a shitty practice regardless.  You can't be the good guy when you are charging over retail, but also not testing the products nor offering a return policy of any kind.  Even at $3.99, I get screwed on occasion.

Now as for the statement about blaming the clerk.  I have never once gotten on a clerk's case about the prices.  I'll complain to friends, family, and strangers on the internet... but I know damned well they have no "control" over it.  But wait, they do, clerks absolutely can charge a different price, and guess what, they won't ever get in trouble unless their boss is a dictator.  Because there is no way to track the inventory and sales to tell what an item WAS priced, what it sold for, and who sold it.  But that aside, I've only ever had the arguments with the actual employee who does the pricing or the manager who employs the person who does the pricing.  Conversations like that put a significant damper on my day.  I always end the conversation with the statement that I can go to the video game store at the next exit, buy this exact same game, for $10 less, and if it doesn't work, they will exchange it for another one or store credit.  And they always say the same thing "Then go do that and leave us alone, someone will come in and pay the price, and that's all that I care about".

There are 2 Goodwills in my city that price and act like this.  I have not made a purchase at these stores since I graduated college.  I've visited them maybe once a year, and I'm never surprised to see a copy of Melee priced $70.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:50:15 pm by ignition365 »

maximo310

« Reply #11923 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:33 pm »
What bothers me is how Goodwill seems to have mostly abandoned the message of catering to lower incomes by marking up most of the prices around my city. There's a fine line between selling inventory at low prices, and gouging and going over prices. Some of these places charge more than Ebay for an item, and it doesn't help that most of the employees don't seem to care if you bring up the issue of people stealing games from the case, they instead try to charge full price for the item. Some places don't allow returns at all.

Combine that with them putting up more valuable stuff on their auction website, and adding fuel,handling,and shipping surcharges to your item, and you've got an organization that is in need of some serious reform. They seem to be acting more like a business nowadays than a nonprofit organization, which was their original goal. They can't clear inventory by selling shovelware for $10.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:02:56 pm by maximo310 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #11924 on: August 18, 2016, 06:30:09 pm »
Wow, I have no problem with Goodwill other than I never find much. Their games are always $1.99 if you're lucky enough to be there first. I will agree that it doesn't make sense to run a Goodwill store like it's a retail shop. I thought the point was to resell goods a reasonable price for the charity. Granted I know that games are, on average worth more than a couple dollars, but they shouldn't run it like a game store. I keep hearing about this, but have never personally seen it. Doesn't sound very ethical for a charity.