Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670391 times)

telly

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12570 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:53 am »
In other news, I think Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is going to bump it's way up to my top ten games of all time. I am having so much fun with it. Are the other games in the MT/SMT series this fun? I've played (and enjoyed) both Digital Devil Sagas, so I may start looking to reacquire those so I can play those again.

I'm playing Persona 3 right now, we should play it together!
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #12571 on: January 11, 2017, 09:10:15 am »
In other news, I think Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is going to bump it's way up to my top ten games of all time. I am having so much fun with it. Are the other games in the MT/SMT series this fun? I've played (and enjoyed) both Digital Devil Sagas, so I may start looking to reacquire those so I can play those again.

That would be fun!

I may try to snag up SMT IV and SMT IV: Apocalypse, too. I read that they're similar to Nocturne.

telly

« Reply #12572 on: January 11, 2017, 09:13:45 am »
Once I beat Mega Man Battle Network 3 I'll probably be putting a lot more time into P3FES; I only have about a couple hours currently. So it would be cool to do a dual playthough!  :D
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #12573 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:02 am »
Guys, a word of warning. Don't buy a Ford Focus, or a Fiesta, especially the newer ones. I wish I had researched the car more before I bought it. Everyone has transmission problems out of these, and mine is in the shop for the second time over the transmission since buying it this past summer. It's a really faulty design for the automatic that is a computer controlled clutch, and it's just a mess and constantly has problems and they aren't fixing them or building them any differently after years of consumer complaints. Left me stranded the other night. When someone finally gets hurt or killed because of their shoddy engineering, I hope they get the pants sued off of them.

I wish I would have gone with the Elantra I was considering.

I will never buy an American car ever again as long as I live. They are all designed and engineered poorly, and most are prone to problems soon after driving them off the lot new. If you can get an American car up to 100,000 miles without a major repair you should consider yourself very lucky.

I've been buying only Japanese cars since 2004 and with only one exception (a Maxima that needed some moderate engine work at around 140k) they've been nothing but care free outside of routine maintenance and replacements (tires, batteries, oil, fluids, breaks). Specifically I'd recommend Hondas and Toyotas
My Chevy Cobalt is at nearly 150k miles and I've only had 2 repairs.  Replace catalytic converter and replace alternator.  And both happened well after 140k.

My Dodge Challenger is only at around 40-50k, so we'll see.

The main issue with cars now, and I know this particularly to be the case with Ford, is that everything on the car is controlled by a bunch of different computer modules (very expensive ones), and if those things develop problems you pretty much have no car because it will shut off. To put one of those in charge of your transmission functioning, is really stupid but that is what Ford has done. It's a computer with arms that spline into a clutch and do all of your shifting, and they constantly go bad, or just do a sloppy, terrible job at shifting.  :-X

The plague of older American made cars was just cheap materiels. Sensors, hoses, seals and whatnot cracking and corroding. Now it's all this computer junk. My oldschool Focus has 150k on it, after plenty of repairs. I don't know if anyone will have the patience to get there with my new one.

azure

« Reply #12574 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:12 am »

That would be fun!

I may try to snag up SMT IV and SMT IV: Apocalypse, too. I read that they're similar to Nocturne.

Yes, stick with mainline SMT games for the Nocturne-esque experience you're looking for. That being said there isn't anything quite like Nocturne style wise, but the other titles are great in their own style.

kashell

« Reply #12575 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:47 am »

That would be fun!

Yes, stick with mainline SMT games for the Nocturne-esque experience you're looking for. That being said there isn't anything quite like Nocturne style wise, but the other titles are great in their own style.

Good to know. I ordered a cheap copy of SMT IV, so I'm excited for that to get here. Did you play any of the entries that didn't get localized?

azure

« Reply #12576 on: January 11, 2017, 12:23:30 pm »

That would be fun!

Good to know. I ordered a cheap copy of SMT IV, so I'm excited for that to get here. Did you play any of the entries that didn't get localized?
Yes, a lot of the older games have fan translations that are really well done. Still quite a few that are JP only still, like the first Devil Summoner game on Saturn/PSP. I really do enjoy the older titles as well, don't let the less refined style of older games push you away, they're still great.

kashell

« Reply #12577 on: January 11, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
I usually don't have any issue playing older titles, so I'm not too worried.

I saw that the first SMT was available on iOS. I never used my phone for gaming, but this might be an exception.

azure

« Reply #12578 on: January 11, 2017, 01:00:53 pm »

I saw that the first SMT was available on iOS. I never used my phone for gaming, but this might be an exception.

The translation is good, and it's the only way to officially play the first SMT in English. I can't imagine it being that cumbersome on a phone, but I've never gamed on my phone either.

kashell

« Reply #12579 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:50 pm »

The translation is good, and it's the only way to officially play the first SMT in English. I can't imagine it being that cumbersome on a phone, but I've never gamed on my phone either.

I can take one for the team and give it a shot after I've had my fix of Nocturne.

EDIT: Have you played Strange Journey, azure? I read some information about it and it sounds like Nocturne set in Antarctica. I like the sounds of that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:44:58 pm by kashell »

azure

« Reply #12580 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:54 pm »

I can take one for the team and give it a shot after I've had my fix of Nocturne.

EDIT: Have you played Strange Journey, azure? I read some information about it and it sounds like Nocturne set in Antarctica. I like the sounds of that.

Yes, Strange Journey is great as well. Nocturne has an emptiness for me, how its only you and the demons in an apocalyptic world. SJ is similar in premise, but you have other characters, and you're at the source of what would be an apocalyptic world. Basically you're going to try to prevent a Nocturne-esque world from transpiring. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into great detail. I suppose I'm trying to say most who like Nocturne, enjoy SJ to a similar degree. The difficulty on both is about the same, and they both have a lonely atmosphere. Only real big difference is it used the first-person dungeon crawling from the earlier games/spinoffs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12581 on: January 11, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
Just when you think retro prices couldn't get more ridiculous, prices shoot up again.

I mean, is it just me, or does it seem like stuff suddenly went up in the last few months?

I was specifically looking at Raiden Project just a couple months back, and I was able to get disc-only copies for around $20. The cheapest, disc-only copy I can find now is at $35!

Not only that, but as I'm talking about the NES Classic to people, apparantly real NESes are no longer around $30-$50 used, now they're going for around $100 used!

So glad I got a lot of the stuff I really wanted before these outrageous prices. But at the same time, there's still plenty on my wishlist that I want to get, but I'm having a tough time swallowing these prices.

desocietas

« Reply #12582 on: January 11, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »
I'm not always into first person dungeon crawlers, but I really enjoyed the bit of Strange Journey that I've played. The characters and story were intriguing, but it's definitely SMT levels of punishing. Haven't gone back to it due to rage-quitting it the first time around, but still think of it fondly and want to go back to it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #12583 on: January 11, 2017, 03:52:19 pm »

desocietas

« Reply #12584 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:30 pm »
Some fun Shovel Knight news

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/01/switch-up/

Heeey, that's awesome that they're also expanding co-op to all the non-handheld platforms. Also, sounds like free DLC/campaigns if you already own the original game :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas