Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1552217 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #705 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
Meanwhile, in Mexico:

$20 USD Greatest Hits games sold for $50 or more. Thanks import taxes!

Aren't you close enough to the border to get around that?

Yep, because screw the government.

Meh,

your "screw the government" would be

my "taking advantage of living close enough to 2 different countries & governments to be able to (A).  save myself some $ and (B).  contribute to both" :)

Whatever - you say potayto I say potahto  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #706 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »
so has anyone else seen this? it makes me laugh yet concerned at the same time.

pacpix

« Reply #707 on: May 24, 2013, 12:29:02 am »
Cool!  Just found a good deal on a Nintendo!

http://lewiston.craigslist.org/vgm/3823030382.html
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #708 on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:03 am »
I've seen that collection of pictures before, and I feel it's a little unfair to ridicule newcomers about getting stuck. We not only had two games worth of "training" beforehand but *lots* of magazine coverage (and walkthroughs) at the time we were playing it, a full colour manual, and in PAL-land at least a full walkthrough book included with every copy of the game. We know this stuff's "obvious" because if we weren't discussing it with our friends we were reading about it in multi-page magazine spreads - which none of these new players have the luxury of doing.

foxhack

« Reply #709 on: May 24, 2013, 01:22:51 am »
I've seen that collection of pictures before, and I feel it's a little unfair to ridicule newcomers about getting stuck. We not only had two games worth of "training" beforehand but *lots* of magazine coverage (and walkthroughs) at the time we were playing it, a full colour manual, and in PAL-land at least a full walkthrough book included with every copy of the game. We know this stuff's "obvious" because if we weren't discussing it with our friends we were reading about it in multi-page magazine spreads - which none of these new players have the luxury of doing.
I beat the game just renting it. I did see stuff about using a super bomb to recharge, but that was it. I could never get it to work anyway.

They have no excuse. :P

« Reply #710 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:23 am »
I just think it's a bit of a low blow to mock people for getting stuck on a game they've never played before - and if nothing else us lot acting so superior (speaking about the general reaction, not specifically on VG Collect) doesn't help these people enjoy Super Metroid or encourage them to explore retro any further.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #711 on: May 24, 2013, 09:21:57 am »
I just think it's a bit of a low blow to mock people for getting stuck on a game they've never played before - and if nothing else us lot acting so superior (speaking about the general reaction, not specifically on VG Collect) doesn't help these people enjoy Super Metroid or encourage them to explore retro any further.

But they had to use the morph ball to get to that point.

scott

« Reply #712 on: May 24, 2013, 09:35:45 am »
I kinda laughed a little at that image. But I also remember playing Metroid 2 for the first time ever and having a hard time figuring out what I was supposed to be doing/ getting lost. Hell, I've had that game since it came out and just finally beat it on my 3DS a few months ago.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #713 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:08 pm »
Cool!  Just found a good deal on a Nintendo!

http://lewiston.craigslist.org/vgm/3823030382.html
that is one hell of a deal for a Nintendo

foxhack

« Reply #714 on: May 25, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »
So pissed off right now.

I bought a DVD set that I've been hunting down for the past two and a half years - the company that made it went out of business in 2010/11 so it's pretty rare by now - and I found it on eBay, listed in like new condition.

I bought the set, I got it today, and the discs are scratched to hell.

I'm an eBay seller, have been for the past six years, and man, who the hell lists something in this condition in "Like New" shape? This is a store with 210000 feedback, that's who. Bloody idiots... :\

scott

« Reply #715 on: May 25, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »
Negative his ass! That sucks, I had the same thing happen to me with a Game Boy 4 Player Adapter. The seller listed it as New, Sealed and when I got it I got a reshrink wrapped, crushed and destroyed box (with pencil writing under the shrink wrap). I sent them a rather nasty message about it and they shipped me out another in much better shape, but not sealed.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #716 on: May 25, 2013, 12:53:27 pm »
Negative his ass! That sucks, I had the same thing happen to me with a Game Boy 4 Player Adapter. The seller listed it as New, Sealed and when I got it I got a reshrink wrapped, crushed and destroyed box (with pencil writing under the shrink wrap). I sent them a rather nasty message about it and they shipped me out another in much better shape, but not sealed.
I'm not leaving a neg until they give me my money back.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #717 on: May 25, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »
I'm not leaving a neg until they give me my money back.

Yeah, get your $ back, and Neg the hell out of them!

I've seen people on Amazon selling games as "New" (which Amazon CLEARLY specifies as still being in the original packaging and having never been opened) -when- in reality, they're trying to just sell a game that (you're expected to just take their word) has never been used that is NOT still factory-sealed...thereby, by Amazon's own rules = NOT NEW  :o

Learned my lesson about reading every word of every description A LOT more carefully then I used to.

One of my (many:) and BIGGEST pet-peeves is misrepresented conditions when it comes to buying, selling, and/or trading *Anything* -so- it's something that I'm also very aware of & conscious about when selling things myself.

Sorry you got screwed-over w/ the DVD's though, Foxhack :(

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #718 on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:25 am »
Is It Only Me...

...or does it bother/disappoint anyone else here that many of the "best" recent & upcoming RPG's are confined to handhelds only?

My own personal handicaps & physical limitations aside - I would just be SO MUCH HAPPIER playing games such as FE: Awakening, Project X-Zone, Shin Megami Tensei IV, SMT: Soul Hackers, etc via a console & viewed on a big tv rather than the smaller handheld screens.

It also makes me worry about other games like (God Forbid) Persona V, newer FF games, Disgaeas and/or other Nippon Ichi, Aksys, Xseed, and other Atlus RPG's going the same route  :-\

« Reply #719 on: May 27, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
It's just a reflection of the cost of developing a game for current consoles* - it's not really a choice to put these games exclusively on handhelds, it's a case of handheld RPG or no RPG.

*Of the standard general gamers expect - produce an RPG that looks like Project X Zone for PS3/360 and watch it get ripped apart in the reviews.

PS: Project X Zone is a huge disappointment. It starts of just fine and then becomes massively tedious, throwing endless easy enemies at you just to make maps take longer :/