Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1528234 times)

abe

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #2985 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:05 pm »
Since this is the general thread, I figured I'd ask here. What's the most all y'all would pay for a refurb NES? Is it really worth paying a wee bit extra (or maybe a fair bit more) for a refurbished console?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2986 on: July 25, 2014, 11:39:48 pm »
Since this is the general thread, I figured I'd ask here. What's the most all y'all would pay for a refurb NES? Is it really worth paying a wee bit extra (or maybe a fair bit more) for a refurbished console?

Honestly, I would buy the cheapest one I could find that will power on and do the "Referb" myself. If you have a screwdriver and 30 min of spare time, you can stop them from blinking.

scott

« Reply #2987 on: July 26, 2014, 12:55:04 am »

Honestly, I would buy the cheapest one I could find that will power on and do the "Referb" myself. If you have a screwdriver and 30 min of spare time, you can stop them from blinking.

Unless it's my NES... and it just sits there not blinking. Still haven't figured out what the problem is. -_-
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #2988 on: July 26, 2014, 01:12:16 am »
Ah, NNK. I gave that game a 6/10 on GameFAQs.com

How the hell could you only score this game barely better than half points? Id like to see what gets a 10.

« Reply #2989 on: July 26, 2014, 01:38:17 am »
As much as I hate to admit this, I am seriously considering not finishing Earthbound. I am several hours into the game and I have so far found the pacing to be pretty slow and nothing all that interesting has happened. Yeah is quirky and the game's sense of humor is fairly entertaining, but I need more then that to stay engaged with an RPG. So does something happen in the story at some point that really drags you in or is the game's primary appeal just its offbeat nature and quirky characters? I am not trying to bash the game, I sincerely want to like it, but I feel like the game has been more work than fun so far :/

soera

« Reply #2990 on: July 26, 2014, 01:41:43 am »
As much as I hate to admit this, I am seriously considering not finishing Earthbound. I am several hours into the game and I have so far found the pacing to be pretty slow and nothing all that interesting has happened. Yeah is quirky and the game's sense of humor is fairly entertaining, but I need more then that to stay engaged with an RPG. So does something happen in the story at some point that really drags you in or is the game's primary appeal just its offbeat nature and quirky characters? I am not trying to bash the game, I sincerely want to like it, but I feel like the game has been more work than fun so far :/

I gave this game a try one day at a friend's house. After 3 hours, I just turned it off cause it was simply not appealing to me at all.

abe

« Reply #2991 on: July 26, 2014, 09:40:04 am »

That's actually pretty much it. There's no crazy plot twists that are going to get you hooked. At least not that I can remember, it has been a couple years since I've given it a proper playthrough though. For me, the story was also far less emotional than Mother 3 (its sequel). Earthbound the kind of game you either really like or don't like.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

tpugmire

« Reply #2992 on: July 26, 2014, 09:47:37 am »
How far into Earthbound are you?  Like what town are you in, how many characters, etc?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2993 on: July 26, 2014, 10:29:10 am »
Ah, NNK. I gave that game a 6/10 on GameFAQs.com

How the hell could you score this game differently than I would?!

Yah...what gives?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #2994 on: July 26, 2014, 10:47:13 am »
Maybe look up his review and read it? :P

His title is "This is a difficult game to recommend, but those who see it through will be well rewarded."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/reviews/review-153487

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:48:47 am by scott »

kashell

« Reply #2995 on: July 26, 2014, 11:42:42 am »
Maybe look up his review and read it? :P

His title is "This is a difficult game to recommend, but those who see it through will be well rewarded."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/reviews/review-153487

Thanks for saving me the trouble. ^_~

And heaven forbid I score something the way I feel it should be scored. The humanity of it all! XD

scott

« Reply #2996 on: July 26, 2014, 11:54:52 am »
Personally, one of the reasons I stopped playing it was because once I got the AI companion I found managing battles to be a pain in the ass. It's a beautiful game and has lots of charm, but I really didn't like the battle system.

foxhack

« Reply #2997 on: July 26, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »

I beat that game sixteen years ago and found it amazing. But I don't know if I'd be able to play it again today.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2998 on: July 26, 2014, 12:31:22 pm »
I found the charm/humor/story of Earthbound to be enough for to see it through to the end and I plan on revisiting it again at some point soon... The battle system is certainly nothing really interesting, and at some times just flat out boring, but I do like the fact that you never have true random battles and can get through the game without ever really having to grind, so your time with the battling is kept to the minimum (I think there were maybe 1 or 2 times I had to grind and level up to beat a boss). I also like the fact that you can skip battles and still get the exp when you're way higher in level than the enemy. There are definitely more interesting games out there in terms of gameplay, but there are few games that have made me feel the way I felt when playing that game. If you don't get that feeling, I could see where the game where the game wouldn't be worth the time

And I think most of the feels I got were evoked mostly from the fucking amazing music in the game. Probably my favorite SNES soundtrack ever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:32:57 pm by Bwigdahl »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2999 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
Earthbound (and Planescape Torment) are two of the big 'classics' that I've never played.

Can someone give me their stories - in a nutshell - and what it was about the games that made them so renowned & popular?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"