Author Topic: PS Trophies & X-box Achievments -  (Read 2538 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

PS Trophies & X-box Achievments -
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »
How important/unimportant are they to you?

Are there certain games and/or types of games that make you more interested in them than others?

What are your over-all thoughts & opinions regarding them?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

Re: PS Trophies & X-box Achievments -
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:43 pm »
I think they're cool if you want to prove you beat a game or did something special.

ko1ru

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:21 pm »
Achievements are fairly important to me, but not so much that I focus solely on getting the max gamerscore for every game.  There are a few that I've 1000G'd and even beyond (DLC), but they were games that were worth the time and effort I put into them.

Recently I logged about 350 hours into Blue Dragon, but ended up with only about half of the achievements.  I'll admit, I was a little sour about it, but I was not about to new game+ it and log another couple hundred hours into it just to get the rest of the achievements...  It was a good game, but meh.

It's also pretty telling that I've never played that Avatar game for an easy 1000G.   :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »
Achievements are fairly important to me, but not so much that I focus solely on getting the max gamerscore for every game.  There are a few that I've 1000G'd and even beyond (DLC), but they were games that were worth the time and effort I put into them.

Recently I logged about 350 hours into Blue Dragon, but ended up with only about half of the achievements.  I'll admit, I was a little sour about it, but I was not about to new game+ it and log another couple hundred hours into it just to get the rest of the achievements...  It was a good game, but meh.

It's also pretty telling that I've never played that Avatar game for an easy 1000G.   :P

WOW!

I had no idea that Blue Dragon was *that* long of a game :P

ko1ru

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
WOW!

It can be if you're trying to get certain achievements...  ;p

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »
WOW!

It can be if you're trying to get certain achievements...  ;p

Yeah - I think that RPG's, JRPG's, SRPG's, etc always have the longest trophy/achievment lists.

I just got the platinum for Cross Edge (PS3 RPG), and the last trophy that I got "collect/find/make *ALL* weapons"...well...I beat/finished the game ~10 - 15 hours before I was able to get it  :o

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:13:14 am »
I don't care too much about the achievements, although I do check to see what they are, and if they're not too difficult, I'll go for them.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 06:58:03 pm »
Achievements/trophies have never given me a reason to care for them. I remember a time where people made their own achievements, and didn't really need to have a way to prove them (which is something I don't understand... why would anyone else care which games I've beaten or not?), and they were actually challenging. Achievements are pretty useless.

ko1ru

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »
I see your point.  However, some achievements have the ability to pose new challenges within a game that people may not have otherwise undertaken.  In most cases I think one has the ability to explore and achieve more in a game due to achievements/trophies, which makes the game more enjoyable and gives the player a greater sense of accomplishment.

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »
Achievements/trophies have never given me a reason to care for them. I remember a time where people made their own achievements, and didn't really need to have a way to prove them (which is something I don't understand... why would anyone else care which games I've beaten or not?), and they were actually challenging. Achievements are pretty useless.
This is why I like achievements, I like the fact there are extra challenges included in games.

jobocan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
This is why I like achievements, I like the fact there are extra challenges included in games.

That's kinda my point though... You could do these challenges without having the achievement system in place, just find a challenge and do it. I mean, back in the NES days you had people doing White Mage-only runs of FF1 as a challenge, without anyone telling them to... For example :P

scott

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:18:32 pm »
I used to be all about achievements. But now I don't really care if a game has them or not, though I did have a lot of fun with the Assassin's Creed achievements... until they added multiplayer mode ones. Personally, I hate multiplayer achievements with a passion. Which I'm glad Borderlands achievements are do-able both solo or multi. I can totally see Jobocan's point though. I used to handicap myself in older games too, just to see if I could do it. Hell I still do it once in a while, such as running a type themed Pokemon team. Which I'm thinking of doing again w/ Black 2.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 12:07:48 am »

That's kinda my point though... You could do these challenges without having the achievement system in place, just find a challenge and do it. I mean, back in the NES days you had people doing White Mage-only runs of FF1 as a challenge, without anyone telling them to... For example :P
It shouldn't stop you from coming up with your own challenges but the fact that you can actually prove that you did it adds to the enjoyment. I am sure that you have known people who have made claims that have been false, achievements help to prove that you have actually done it.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:06 am »
I think they're a fun addition.  They give you something to do when you get bored with the main plot.  I do think the "way marker" achievements are a little pointless though. 

But it's pretty cool when the achievements/trophies do stuff in-game like in Catherine and Mass Effect.

scott

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:30 am »
I'd say that some of the best achievements are the ones that require you to jump through a bunch of hoops or improve your game. A great example would be from a game like Deathsmiles or Gwuange. Where you have to play a lot of the game and improve your skills in order to do a 1CC of the game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread