Author Topic: PS Trophies & X-box Achievments -  (Read 2534 times)

blipcs76

Re: PS Trophies & X-box Achievments -
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 10:53:17 am »
Like others have mentioned, I like that achievements give additional goals and challenges to a game beyond just reaching the end.  Sometimes chasing achievements is pretty fun and gives the game a greater sense of completion, while others are just tedious like wearing one of each outfit in Dead Rising. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:42 am »

That's kinda my point though... You could do these challenges without having the achievement system in place, just find a challenge and do it. I mean, back in the NES days you had people doing White Mage-only runs of FF1 as a challenge, without anyone telling them to... For example :P

True...

I think though, that some gamers (myself included) are just..."Completionists".
When I platinum/100% a game - it's for my *own* satisfaction.

Sure, part of my 'completionistic'-tendencies likely stem from me (sometimes) feeling like I'm trying too hard to...*prove*...something (to myself, though).

Ex.  Cross Edge, the game I just (re)platinumed.
I bought it because I'm a big fan of RPG's, the PS3 had a sorry-ass amount of options for RPG/JRPG fans, and because I'm a fan of (and had already played) many of the games that the cross-over characters originated from; so I was looking forward to the jokes, easter eggs, references to those older games, etc.

That's why I *bought* & *played* Cross Edge.

The reason (at least the *MAIN* reason) that I commited to & dedicated myself to actually...

...*"Platting"* / "100%-ing"...
the game, though, was because I'd heard *A LOT* of players talking/whining/crying about how *Hard* of a game it was to platinum.

Since I not only have "issues" (more like, I have a *Subscription*), I quickly get to thinking "Hmm...such a very hard game w/ so very few gamers who actually 100% it" (compared to the majority of other games that have much more people 100%-ing them), "well now, if *I* can 100% it (one-handed) - I'll feel like I've actually accomplished something that most "normal" (2-handed) gamers have struggled with".

I know, I know, it's probably kind of a fucked-up kind of thinking, but, I'm a pretty fucked-up kind of person - so we get along w/ each other pretty well :P

Anywho...back to what I originally came here to say...I'm not one of those people who (everywhere possible) links a bunch of strangers on-line to my PSN account/Trophy cards, etc. (nothing against those that do, though).

The only people who will really ever even know about/see what trophies that I do/don't have will be my "PSN friends"...who fortunately, like myself, don't much care about/compete w/ those kinds of things.

Personally, I've been a "completionist", 100%-ed games, and did (my own challenges/playthroughs) since long before there were any kinds of trophies/achievments and/or recognition for doing so, so, I see no reason to stop (or not enjoy) doing the same kinds of things now :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 11:31:54 am »

It's also pretty telling that I've never played that Avatar game for an easy 1000G.   :P

Ha Ha!

It sounds like that Avatar game is like the PS3 equivalent to the Hannah Montana game (as in people only play it because it's just a simple, quick 'n' easy source of trophies  :o

I've also had no trouble "restraining" myself from the game, either :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

ko1ru

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »
I think though, that some gamers (myself included) are just..."Completionists"...

Personally, I've been a "completionist", 100%-ed games, and did (my own challenges/playthroughs) since long before there were any kinds of trophies/achievments and/or recognition for doing so, so, I see no reason to stop (or not enjoy) doing the same kinds of things now :)

I whole-heartedly agree as I'm the same way.  I've always been a severe completionist, even before the time of achievements/trophies.  For instance, I fondly remember sinking several hundreds of hours into most of the latter Final Fantasies (VII - XII) just to get every item, weapon, complete every side-mission, etc.  It's just in my nature to 100% things.  :)

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:01 am »
They are kinda important to me. They motivate me to try things in games that I probably wouldn't bother trying otherwise.