Author Topic: November 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 21983 times)

thecollector0o7

Re: November 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
November pick ups I figured I wont be getting anything more this month.

scott

« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »
Find a system that works best for you - study books and flashcards bore the heck out of me, I retain words best by seeing them in context (such as translating a menu in a game, or a word written in a manga) so I learn by translating things as I come across them (not line-for-line though, that's beyond dull). Try out a few methods and see which one you find the most enjoyable :)

Oh one more important thing - be realistic! These things take time, and most people don't know every word in their native language, let alone another - not knowing every word you come across, or forgetting a word you used to know is *normal*; just keep at it and you'll improve.

Good to know, thanks for the input! Maybe I'll try the translating menus way again. Since I do have a copy of Jump Ultimate Stars to play through. Plus I've always wanted to play .hack//Link and I'll need some language skills in order to wade through that.

Also, Oooh Desocietas is gonna be jealous of that .hack//G.U. Rebirth SE!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »
Find a system that works best for you - study books and flashcards bore the heck out of me, I retain words best by seeing them in context (such as translating a menu in a game, or a word written in a manga) so I learn by translating things as I come across them (not line-for-line though, that's beyond dull). Try out a few methods and see which one you find the most enjoyable :)

Oh one more important thing - be realistic! These things take time, and most people don't know every word in their native language, let alone another - not knowing every word you come across, or forgetting a word you used to know is *normal*; just keep at it and you'll improve.

That's really good advice!  I learn best by application and practice; books also bore me and the information isn't retained with there's no context or use for the phrases immediately.  Maybe trying to translate videogames will help me learn :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »
I was catching on fairly well while playing Jump Super Stars a few years back. Thanks to a translation guide. But now I look at it and can't remember crap.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese speech and reading. Any suggestions on where to start for a self learner?
I'm in the same boat as you scott. I have always wanted to play Japanese games but I have a hard enough time with English so I have never tried. Maybe that will be my new years resolution.

foxhack

« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »
Well, the 1000th item added to my VGCollect profile arrived at my mailbox yesterday...

Alone in the Dark (PS2) for $5.60 shipped. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM, AND FUCK YOU ANYWAY

And today's finds:
The Guy Game (PS2, some scratches, damaged artwork) - $2
Megaman Legends (PS1, scratched, with somewhat warped manual only) - not telling, this is for trading. ;)

jobocan

« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »

Oh, how's Adventure Time?

scott

« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »
My copy of Persona 4 Arena came today, and it came with the soundtrack! woot. I wasn't expecting it to at all.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
Also, Oooh Desocietas is gonna be jealous of that .hack//G.U. Rebirth SE!

Agh, I didn't scroll over to see that!  That's what I neeeeeeeeeeed
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

thecollector0o7

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »

Adventure Time is well something else :P its very like zelda 2 but man its fun. It has great humor and the game play is a blast. If you like Zelda youll like Adventure Time.

jcalder8

« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »
Well, the 1000th item added to my VGCollect profile arrived at my mailbox yesterday...

Alone in the Dark (PS2)
That's what you picked for number 1000?

darko

« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »
So I picked up something totally random today:

foxhack

« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »

Alone in the Dark (PS2)
See linked video. :p

darko, stop using me as an example for your game purchases!

darko

« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »

Alone in the Dark (PS2)
See linked video. :p

darko, stop using me as an example for your game purchases!

Ha. It's actually fairly decent. With a name like "Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ" how could I not pay $6.00 for it?

jobocan

« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »

Adventure Time is well something else :P its very like zelda 2 but man its fun. It has great humor and the game play is a blast. If you like Zelda youll like Adventure Time.

Alright thanks! I actually got into the Adventure Time cartoon recently, it's sorta fun, so the fact that I saw the game was coming out sounded interesting. I'll probably check it out soon... I kinda wanna finish Persona 4 first though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2012, 08:51:45 am »

Alright thanks! I actually got into the Adventure Time cartoon recently, it's sorta fun, so the fact that I saw the game was coming out sounded interesting. I'll probably check it out soon... I kinda wanna finish Persona 4 first though.

Hah!

I've found myself liking (when no one else is around, of course:) a few episodes of Adventure Time, too :P

However, IMO, "The Regular Show" is better/funnier -and- looks to have a pretty sweet X-Mas-special on this Monday night...
 8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"