Author Topic: "Wii Mini":  (Read 4198 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

"Wii Mini":
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:31 am »
Anyone heard of/know anything about/getting it?

It's apparently a slimmed-down Wii w/o any Internet access.

As a (99%) player of single-player & off-line rpg's - I'd *LOVE* to see a similar Sony system  :'(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

matt

Re: "Wii Mini":
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
I knew something like this would come about but I don't really see the market for it. Especially without internet...not that the Wii has a strong online presence but it'd be cool to have a $100 Netflix box that can still play some good games.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:10 am »
I find it to be rather ridiculous. What's more, it's Canadian exclusive which is even more odd.

Matt's point about netflix is the first thing I said about it when I saw it yesterday... most people nowadays use the Wii more as a netflix box than anything so it makes no sense to not support that.

.... At least it comes with a red wii remote... I guess.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:56 pm »
I find it to be rather ridiculous. What's more, it's Canadian exclusive which is even more odd.

Huh.

I didn't know that part (about it being exclusive to Canada).  I wonder why the decision for "Canada only"???

IMO, a better name for it would have been:

the "MinWii::)

Anyhow -and maybe I'm by myself here- but...personally, I would *LOVE* to have an option to buy a strictly "Gaming-Console".

I could (*VERY HAPPILY*) buy (and would prefer to buy), say, a PS3 that did absolutely nothing but let me stick a disc in it, install the game (if necessary), start playing it, and give me a *Simple* browser (just enough to be able to use PSN/the PSN store & trophies)...

I don't care about, don't use, and don't *LIKE* (paying more money for) any of the other/"extra" media/Netflix/Music/PSHome, and whatever-the-fuck-else it can do, etc. that I don't want, need, or use.

scott

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
That's how I feel about my 360. I want the home screen to be all about getting my games going faster. Maybe a link to my arcade titles, a nice big splash screen of the game in the tray. AND NO FUCKING ADS.

Seriously, I've never wanted the blade interface back more than I do now.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »
Blades FTW
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »
"Modern", "newer", and "next"-generation consoles...

...completely changing (for the worse) the *Definition*, *Purpose*, and *Focus* on what a "GAMING-CONSOLE" is/isn't...and what they should/shouldn't be focusing on  :'(

soera

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=90110

Scroll through it a bit and there is a pic. I really like the look. Its something Im actually interested in. I dont mess with the online stuff on the Wii and I already have 2 systems at home with the gamecube compatible plus a gamecube itself. Im already planning to make me a little mini cab with my PS3, I would just add this thing with it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »
When they start clearancing this thing out, I'll buy one.  I'm a Nintendo whore.

darko

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »
For modding purposes only, I'd be interested.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:12 pm »
I like that they tried to address the disc tray fail issue by doing a top-loader, but Y NO GAMECUBE SUPPORT ?

I guess it wouldn't be profitable to have slots for GC memory cards, but still... :(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 01:51:06 pm »
It's kinda a neat idea. And in all honesty, I don't think I've played a minute of online on my Wii. Though I have used it as a Netflix box. But after using Netflix on all 3 consoles and the 3DS I prefer the interface of the PS3 version the best. I think my Wii still have my copy of Xenoblade in it, and i haven't played that in a long while...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »
I didn't know that part (about it being exclusive to Canada).  I wonder why the decision for "Canada only"???
Considering Canucks have throttled internet, this is for their own good. :P

fiveforfightng

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »
I had not heard of this until now. It seems like a dumb idea. You might as well pay an extra....Well, it's starting at $100 CAD? Ok, so that's about $82 USD. You can buy the main Wii for about that much, or even less, on stores such as Ebay or Craigslist. I've even seen prices as low as $50 USD, which is $61 CAD. So why pay the extra money? Unless I'm missing something.
Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

jobocan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »
Well, it's starting at $100 CAD? Ok, so that's about $82 USD.

Actually I feel the need to correct that :P
Currently both American and Canadian dollars are worth roughly the same, so that's $100.79 USD at the moment.