Author Topic: "HD Collections" / "Compilations"?!  (Read 4245 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

"HD Collections" / "Compilations"?!
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:41:43 am »
TOPIC:

A).  Which ones did you like, think were done the best/your favorites, etc?

B).  Which ones did you hate, dislike, and think were the worst?

C).  Which series, games, and/or franchises that haven't yet seen HD re-makes would you most like to see/wish for?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: "HD Collections" / "Compilations"?!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:56 am »
TOPIC:

- ICO/Shadow of the Collossus

- Silent Hill

C).  Which series, games, and/or franchises that haven't yet seen HD re-makes would you most like to see/wish for?

- I'd love to see a 4-game, HD collection done just like this:

A).  KOUDELKA HD (beating the game unlocks),

B).  SHADOW-HEARTS (beating the game would unlock),

C).  SHADOW-HEARTS: COVENANT (beating this game would unlock),

D).  SHADOW-HEARTS: FROM THE NEW WORLD (beating this would unlock extra content (bonus areas/bosses), interviews, "making-of's", etc...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:03:29 am »
pretty much any FMV Game even though a lot of them are vary cheesy and horribly dated

FMV hd remake wish list:
claw
ripper
night trap
7th guest
phantasmagoria
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:05:28 am by htimreimer »

scott

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:41:58 am »
don't have a lot of HD collections, but I have a few compilations from over the years.

A).  Which ones did you like, think were done the
best/your favorites, etc

Super Mario All Stars - I have both of the SNES and Wii releases. Great collection of the original Mario games and the wii version includes bonuses.

Final Fantasy Anthology- was the first time I ever played FFV and I also played the hell out of the soundtrack.

Final Fantasy Chronicles - up until this released I lacked my own copy of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II/IV. This solved the issue, tho it has some funky load times.

Metal Gear Solid Collection- included the best versions of MGS2 and MGS3 along with both MSX2 Metal Gear games thanks to MGS3 being the Subsistence version. My only complaint, and it didnt affect me, was that the MGS1 disc was still a PS1 disc and required PS1 memory cards since they didn't reprint the game on a PS2 disc w/ PS2 memory card capabilities. So, if you don't own any PS1 cards, you can't save.

Metal Gear Solid HD - while i would have liked to see Twin Snakes in there, its still a pretty solid collection

Konami Collection: Castlevania & Contra - Not only do both series have nothing in common, but there are emulation and control issues. I found Castlevania to be damn near unplayable and never bothered to try the others.

Persona 3 Portable - while not a compilation or even a real HD remake. It guts the game and turns half of it into a point and click adventure, which is lame. After playing the game for 30 mins i said to hell with it and went back to P3FES. I don't get how anyone can call it the "definitive" version.

I'd love to see a compilation of the Mana games. With a release of Secret of Mana 2 included.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:45:20 am by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:29:34 pm »
I happen to dislike the concept of HD collections. I have a few myself (DMC, Sly Cooper... got them as presents :P), but I find them to be a waste of time, when they could be making new games instead, since they never add anything to the games.
It's really just cash-ins, selling games that you can still find in stores pretty easily since they're not that old. I'd actually be fine with them if they were for much older games, or for really hard-to-find games, but they never are.
Even compilations of current games (like the mass effect trilogy) are huge rip-offs because you can easily buy all the games in these collections separately for a lot cheaper.

I can say, however, that the worst is the Silent Hill collection... just... wow. Way to mess up great games.

For what I want to see, what I already said really: old games. And increase the graphics somewhat from their original forms, like what Super Mario All-Stars did to the NES Mario games.

scott

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »
Though I do like what they did w/ the God of War games. All 3 console games, plus the 2 PSP games playable on a console for those who never owned a PSP.

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
While Im not looking for too many compilations (most of the ones I would have wanted are already done), I would really love to see a PS3 graphics version of FF VII.

scott

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »
ha, I'll take a completely redone Final Fantasy VI!

soera

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »
I would actually love to see all the pre-PS2 Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior games done in HD!

darko

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »
I happen to dislike the concept of HD collections. I have a few myself (DMC, Sly Cooper... got them as presents :P), but I find them to be a waste of time, when they could be making new games instead, since they never add anything to the games.
It's really just cash-ins, selling games that you can still find in stores pretty easily since they're not that old. I'd actually be fine with them if they were for much older games, or for really hard-to-find games, but they never are.
Even compilations of current games (like the mass effect trilogy) are huge rip-offs because you can easily buy all the games in these collections separately for a lot cheaper.

I can say, however, that the worst is the Silent Hill collection... just... wow. Way to mess up great games.

For what I want to see, what I already said really: old games. And increase the graphics somewhat from their original forms, like what Super Mario All-Stars did to the NES Mario games.

Mostly this.

I try to only buy a collection if the price is justifiable and I'm missing more than one of the titles in a series that I want to own. For instance, I'll likely buy the God of War collection because I don't own a single God of War title.

I don't really like the idea of HD remakes simply because I'm a little bit of a purist when it comes to playing something on the original console. I don't know that I would consider it a total waste of time since most people who play games don't collect them. If I had never played DMC and I only owned a PS3 or 360 I'd probably pick it up.

soera

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
I happen to dislike the concept of HD collections. but I find them to be a waste of time, when they could be making new games instead, since they never add anything to the games.

I will agree with this to a point. Like I said earlier, I would love to see some HD versions of the earlier FF/DW games, however, if a choice was given between staff remaking a game or making a new game, I would prefer a new game. :)

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:19:40 pm »
I agree with many of the posts earlier, Ico/shadow of the colossus is a phenomenal remake, with 3d support added to boot.

I have become a huge fan of compilations. Ever since the ps1 days when I could buy a konami or intellivision compilation.
These days I use them as a way of picking up indie games that I might have missed, or just didnt feel like buying a digital copy of.
Some good ones are
Flow/Journey/Flower for the PS3
trials hd, splosion man, limbo for the 360
and to a lesser extent
Capcom digital collection for the 360

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »
It may be sacrilegious as a retro fan, but I'm big fan. My favorite so far is either SMB All-Stars, the Zelda Collectors Edition, or the Megaman Anniversary Collection. It's just easier, and I'm lazy. I'm actually waiting for a price drop on the Kirby collection. I never played most of the games in the series.

darko

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »
I agree with many of the posts earlier, Ico/shadow of the colossus is a phenomenal remake, with 3d support added to boot.

I have become a huge fan of compilations. Ever since the ps1 days when I could buy a konami or intellivision compilation.
These days I use them as a way of picking up indie games that I might have missed, or just didnt feel like buying a digital copy of.
Some good ones are
Flow/Journey/Flower for the PS3
trials hd, splosion man, limbo for the 360
and to a lesser extent
Capcom digital collection for the 360

Compilations for digital only games are great! I really need to pick up a copy of Flow/Journey/Flower.

anton

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:17 am »
Metal Gear HD, 5 games for less than 40 euros.
MGS 2, 3, PW, MG 1 and MG 2.
Great. Only con for me was to do the VR missions again, i did it on PS2 already, pain in the ass.
Also Journey collection, awesome games, i've never seen anything like this before.

Silent Hill HD, just have a look at the fog etc from Silent Hill 2 and compare it to SH2 HD. Erm..............

Resident Evil, Castlevania, Parasite Eve, Xenosaga.