Author Topic: The VGC Recommendation Thread  (Read 2831 times)

darko

The VGC Recommendation Thread
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:09:43 pm »
We need a recommendation thread! Picked up something that everyone needs to check out (or something that should be avoided at all costs)? Here's a place to let everyone know!

I would highly recommend Shinobi on the 3DS. The game looks really nice (cell shaded), it's 2.5D, and it's Shinobi. It's pretty difficult which is very nice in my opinion (you can put it on easy mode if you're not used to playing more difficult platform games).

The play style reminds me of a mixture of the Ninja Gaiden games on the NES and Shinobi III on the Genesis. It plays a little slower than Ninja Gaiden but faster than the Genesis Shinobi titles.

The 3D aspects are okay, but not really necessary. I don't typically play any of my 3DS games in 3D anyway, so that's a non issue for me.

You can pick the game up for $20 new from GS or $11.52 from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052WG9II/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04GA4F2PS78VYFM19S26&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:38:42 pm by darko »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: The VGC Recommendation Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:17 pm »
I like the idea of this thread!

Anyways, by default (and because it's been my #1, favorite game) for a looooonng time - I'm going to have to go with recommending that anyone here who hasn't yet played Shadow-Hearts: Covenant...

...should remedy that situation & play it A.S.A.P.!!!

It's a PS2 game.

It's the 3rd game in a series of 4.

The 1st game/prequel to the whole Shadow-Heart's universe & series is Koudelka (on the PS1),

The next (2nd) game is just called plain, old Shadow-Hearts - on the PS2,

The third (my above recommendation) is, again, Shadow-Hearts: Covenant, and

The 4th (and last) game is called Shadow-Hearts: From the New World.

The (prequel), Koudelka is actually more of a "Survival-Horror-RPG" than it is a 'traditional' one (still an old-skool/turn-based RPG, though). It is also the only 1 of the 4 games that's on the PS1.

All three of the other games are all on the PS2.

While there *are* 'connections' from one story to the next, the game that I'm recommending is also just fine as a stand-alone & 1st-timer's/entry-point game.

It was the 1st one that I personally played...and as soon as I finished...I was out tracking-down the rest of them  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »
Thanks for the headsup on Shinobi, also great idea for a thread!

anton

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:13:27 am »
The (prequel), Koudelka is actually more of a "Survival-Horror-RPG" than it is a 'traditional' one (still an old-skool/turn-based RPG, though). It is also the only 1 of the 4 games that's on the PS1.
Oh boy you know the only game i played is koudelka and i never knew this was part of the serie.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:42 am »
Oh boy you know the only game i played is koudelka and i never knew this was part of the serie.

Ha ha!

Koudelka's the only one that I *Haven't* played yet in the series :P
(I do own it/have it in my backlog, though).

Did you like it?

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:48:36 am »
This is a great idea for a topic! :D

...I don't have anything to recommend though (not anything practical, anyway :S)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:33:36 am »
It was the 1st one that I personally played...and as soon as I finished...I was out tracking-down the rest of them  ;D

That was the same with me, after I beat Covenant I had to double back and play the first.  From the New World wasn't out at the time.

Anywho, my recommendation is Phantom Brave.  It's a fun little tactical game.  But unlike normal tactical games, you don't move in squares or whatever, you have sphere of free movement.  Also the summoning units is different.  You bind there souls to things you find on the battle field.  And speaking of things you find on the battle field, if you can pick it up, you can use it as a weapon.

The story centers around a young girl named Marona.  She can see phantoms and this makes everyone else hate and distrust her.  This leads to a couple of tearjerky scenes and you will hate some of the people you save.  But it's worth it when she makes her first real friend, Castile.

scott

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:42:29 am »
Phantom Brave

Ya this one is in my Wishlist. I hope to find it eventually.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:48:55 am »
Phantom Brave

Ya this one is in my Wishlist. I hope to find it eventually.

I'll 2nd the Phantom Brave recommendation and its unique "confine" system - I had a lot of fun with it!

I'll also add La pucelle: Tactics - as a fun & funny RPG.  (I've played all of these on the PS2 - I believe there are other versions of PB (on the PSP); not sure about LP:T - (I *think* it's on the PSN store now, though).

@Scott:

Is PB hard to find now - I see it pretty often (used) in GS for ~$10 (PS2-version)?

scott

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »
I'm not sure. I know that my GS stores don't stock PS2 games at all anymore. So I'm left with looking for the game at local shops and/or online. I'll admit that it's not an active search tho.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

anton

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:12 pm »
Phantom Brave

I do own the PS2 version, but there's a wii and psp version ,right?
What's the differences?

Koudelka's the only one that I *Haven't* played yet in the series :P
(I do own it/have it in my backlog, though).
Did you like it?

Ah! Yeah it's kinda unique, good story and characters, but battle system is a bit clunky though....